AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 10-07-2014, 09:53 AM

Default 805N or PM1

Since i have changed into a much smaller room, I will be selling my Legacy Focus and getting some stand mount speakers. I have it narrowed down to a few choices.

1 B&W 805N seem to run just shy of 2k in price. 2 B&W PM1, 3. Evolution Acoustics MMMicroones.

I do have a velodyne spl1200 ( original) I can mate with it. The room is 10X11. In 4-6 years I hope to be back into a 20X24 foot room but, for now, I am in the smaller room. I do have a McIntosh mc402 amp so power is not an issue.

The speakers would be around 5-6 feet listening distance. All 3 used are in the same price ballpark. What would you choose? From my understanding the pm1 is the most easy on the ears without getting harsh, The evo's are supposedly the most transparent, and the 805's will go louder then both, clean, but, can get harsh sounding? Without hearing any of them I am relying all on reviews or other people's opinions.

Thanks all for the recommendations.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:43 PM

Nothing compares to auditioning yourself I read great reviews of Martin Logan products but every time i hear them i am disappointed because i personally prefer a richer darker tonal balance such as Sonus faber. Speaker preference is such a personal choice that i wouldnt take anybodys opinion as gospel.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
Nothing compares to auditioning yourself I read great reviews of Martin Logan products but every time i hear them i am disappointed because i personally prefer a richer darker tonal balance such as Sonus faber. Speaker preference is such a personal choice that i wouldnt take anybodys opinion as gospel.
+1
Good post!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Retired

At $2K I assume you are purchasing used? The new 805 is ~$4K. If, when I need to go to a smaller speaker they will be on my short list, along with the Joseph Audio RM7 & KEF LS50, which Ivan was selling new for around $1500. You might want to check to see if he has any left. They get rave reviews.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-07-2014, 10:14 PM

Correct 2k used. I see a lot of the 805n's for under 2k on ebay and other used audio sites.
I heard joseph pulsars and I loved them but they were out of my price range. The evolution acoustic looks interesting also and I keep reading a lot of great reviews. The KEF looks interesting and it has a lot of fantastic reviews. I will read up on them. Thank. You for the suggestions.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:02 PM

I have the PM1's and have heard the 805N. I also have a pair of 805D's. The PM1's have a more "exciting" presentation to them whilst the other two are more refined. If you like rock and pop the PM1's and a sub would be good. For jazz and classical the 805's(either one) might be preferable. I hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Thanks lzp. I do listen to a lot of rock, jazz, and acoustic / folk. Right now I am using a set of polk lsi9 ( surprisingly pleasing bass and the tweeter is way better then I thought it would be) and I also picked up a set of evolution acoustics Mmmicroone. I don't care for the evo's presentation. Its a good speaker just not for me. I have never owned a set of b&w but I have heard several at friends houses or stores so I thought that would be my next step. Its hard not being able to hear them side by side.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:29 PM

I also found a set of b&w cdn1nt reasonable priced. How would they do vs the others mentioned?
Old 11-09-2014, 09:13 PM

To me, PM1 sounded closed in and harsh compared to 805 Diamonds... that said, against the 805N, not sure... I'm sure they sound pretty same level given similar tweeters.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:40 AM

The cdn1nt's would be adequete if you are looking to save money, but they definitely would be last compared to the others. That's not exactly a fair comparison since they were not designed to be in the same price category as the others. If you find the PM1's too harsh as joey_v suggests(a valid point) then the cdn1nt's might be an alternative. However, if the price difference is small go with the 805N's. The 805D's are very expensive(relatively speaking).