AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Yeah, I think the key point for CD is to know that any choice he makes will work and sound great. The differences in C-J gear are one of degree, not "sounds good, sounds bad".

C-J's pretty much incapable of making an unmusical or poor-sounding piece of gear.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yes. BTW, would you be using the M3 as an integrated? How would this be different than a CA200 in tis respect?

PC
Well PC, the difference...and common denominator in just about all tough decisions (at least the tough ones I have to make)...is money. Yes...I plan to use the M3 as Integrated; and that would mean...if I kept it...all the other stuff would be going. Well, maybe...

See, that's the thing; a CA200 looks to run me about $35-hunee. I wouldn't sell ALL my gear before hand, so I'd have to buy that "on the tit". OK, so if I love the CA200...I just put all my other gear up for sale, but again; that comes fraught with "risks".

Risk that my other gear doesn't bring in what I think it should, and I'm somehow left holding a bag. "Risk"...that no matter how good the CA200 may be...that I'll "regret" trading out this for that. I mean, do I need to tell anyone in this group, the hobby certainly has an emotional component. I'm not talking so much "loving" the gear I have now (although I am fond of, and reluctant to get rid of the newly acquired 21a); just that it's a big upheaval. I came in here looking for opinions on which $1k-1500 power amp I should get, that I could mate with my Belles pre...and look at 2 options for powering my system; the M3 or 21a/C-J combo...and the thought of trading everything out for a $3500 "Integrated" is not what I had in mind.

See...you asked what the difference was; between this and the M3? That's it in a nutshell; with the M3, I don't have to mortage everything else to keep it. With the M3, I still have options. With the CA200, it's "all or nothing".

Listen, I meant what I said; it's tempting...and food for thought. But while I'm sure it's easy for you C-J guys to say "get a CA200...it slays all of that", it's not something I can enter into lightly.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yeah, I think the key point for CD is to know that any choice he makes will work and sound great. The differences in C-J gear are one of degree, not "sounds good, sounds bad".

C-J's pretty much incapable of making an unmusical or poor-sounding piece of gear.
Well that's another point too PC...and a good one. How would a 21a...which I already own...mated with a 2250a, for let's just say $1k on the used market...stack up against the CA200? Sure, all accounts are the CA200 is likely to sound "better"...but then the law of diminishing returns comes into play, doesn't it?

The 2250a costs me $1k, and sounds great paired with my 21a...versus the CA200 costing me 3-4 times as much (yes, yes...I know; I can then sell the 21a...but man, I just got the thing! lol). Besides...with a 2250a, I might be tempted to try that PV14LS2 you've been after me about.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
I am fond of, and reluctant to get rid of the newly acquired 21a...
In that event, and given the monetary realities you describe, an MF-2500A may be just the ticket for you. Its power rating is conservative (my plain vanilla 2500 is rated at 240 wpc--it benches at around 280), its current delivery capability (a more significant indicator, IMO, of performance under real-world loads) demonstrably good in my experience with hungry Maggies, and the sonic payoff you get with the reserve that comes with that driving your speakers even at moderate levels would, I strongly suspect, be clearly audible compared to the M3 or the 2250.

FWIW.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:00 PM
dpod4

+1 on doing what u need to do to buy the ca200. Especially for special 25s. One of my favorite speakers (heard them driven by musical fidelity amp)
Old 11-14-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
+1 on doing what u need to do to buy the ca200. Especially for special 25s. One of my favorite speakers (heard them driven by musical fidelity amp)
I'm not a Maggie expert at all -- but aren't they ideal with tube power amps? Way back when, I never went to a Maggie showroom that didn't use CJ tube amps to drive them...
Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiliberti
I'm not a Maggie expert at all -- but aren't they ideal with tube power amps? Way back when, I never went to a Maggie showroom that didn't use CJ tube amps to drive them...
I am using a VAC 300.1a tube amp to drive my Magnepan 3.7s. All Maggie's like power/current tho so most use SS amps, or hybrids. CJ 275 monos would work. My goal is have a CJ PR350 for summer months.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 PM

Yeah guys; rather than drive myself nuts...wringing my hands over going this direction or that, I think I'm going to rule the CA200 out at this time. Glad you brought it up, and I've seen what 2 examples are going for currently on AG. I'll keep an eye open, and if a really good deal pops up on one, the timing might be better. After all; they're not going anywhere, and the price can only come down, right? Thanks for bringing it to my attention; hey, now I have something to aspire to, moving up the C-J chain.

So now I need an MF amp...lol. I don't usually like to do this, if for no other reason than you never know who's lurking and listening; but I have someone offering me a price on a 2500 and 2500a. I think the 2500a is out of range at this point...unless someone were to tell me it's a steal.

As I'm new here, I'm not sure about the whole price discussion thing. Like I said, even within the rules, it's not a place I usually like to go; but I don't really know what's a good deal or not. I'm tempted to just sit tight...watch prices, gain knowledge, shop around; but you know...the disease calls.

Should I post these asking prices? I'd PM, but haven't donated yet...so I guess I don't have that privilege.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Cool, calm scientist

You won't ever see a better price on a CA 200 than $3550, and it's unlikely the price will ever come down below that for quite some time. C-J gear hold it's value exceptionally well.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Yeah guys; rather than drive myself nuts...wringing my hands over going this direction or that...
Ha! CD, thats pretty funny because you know and I both know that that's your M.O.! It's all the choices that makes it fun for you...