AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-20-2017, 12:18 PM

Just spoke to McIntosh - let me just say this is my last purchase from them. And, I am sorry I have given them +$40K of my very hard earned monies. I am a middle class, tax-paying citizen that expects nothing more than simple customer service for high-dollar items. It is ludicrous that a dealer won't help me simply because I did not purchase from them and a manufacturer will not go above and beyond to help a customer. Jesus Christ, no wonder America is in such a dire straits. Mc did not even offer to have the unit shipped for repair. I'll be damned if I am paying +$700 for freight shipment for a warranty repair. There is a service center I can take it to after making the 100 mile RT to go pick it up. 'F' Magnolia, and to a certain extent, Mc.

And the fact that no one from Mc on this site has spoken up speaks volumes.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Just spoke to McIntosh - let me just say this is my last purchase from them. And, I am sorry I have given them +$40K of my very hard earned monies. I am a middle class, tax-paying citizen that expects nothing more than simple customer service for high-dollar items. It is ludicrous that a dealer won't help me simply because I did not purchase from them and a manufacturer will not go above and beyond to help a customer. Jesus Christ, no wonder America is in such a dire straits. Mc did not even offer to have the unit shipped for repair. I'll be damned if I am paying +$700 for freight shipment for a warranty repair. There is a service center I can take it to after making the 100 mile RT to go pick it up. 'F' Magnolia, and to a certain extent, Mc.

And the fact that no one from Mc on this site has spoken up speaks volumes.
Who did you talk to? Ron or Chuck or someone else?

I've interacted with Ron with regards to drivers and he was pretty disinterested in fixing the problem. He's on the audiokarma forums.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Chuck - he was adamant about me taking to a local service center to diagnosis and repair. His statement was dealers are sales centers, not service centers. My point to him was a dealer (at least at this level of equipment) should also be a point of entry for a service center, meaning they should be adapt to getting service needs for their clients.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:56 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Chuck - he was adamant about me taking to a local service center to diagnosis and repair. His statement was dealers are sales centers, not service centers. My point to him was a dealer (at least at this level of equipment) should also be a point of entry for a service center, meaning they should be adapt to getting service needs for their clients.
Heck, I help others all the time get their gear serviced; regardless if I sold it or not.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Exactly... when you buy this level of equipment you expect the dealer/manufacture to go out of their way to make sure you are taken care of.

This thread alone has lost McIntosh at least a few customers, probably more than a few. And this is why there is also a thread about McIntosh bashing. Back in the day you would never, ever hear about a customer being treated this way by McIntosh or a McIntosh dealer... then again they would never, ever be sold by a store like Best Buy....
Old 04-21-2017, 12:32 AM
Blown & Injected

Hmmm ... I can certainly understand your frustration with Magnolia - unlike Ivan, they're unwilling to help you to earn your patronage. That's just bad business.

OTOH, McIntosh is willing to pay an authorized service center to repair the unit at no cost (parts or labor) to you. Isn't that what their warranty says they'll do? When your Cadillac needs repaired, it doesn't go back to Detroit.

I wish you luck, but I personally don't see McIntosh at fault in this case. Other than recommending Magnolia, which turned out to be a dead end for you. Chuck owns that and does have the ability to press the magic button ... So yes I can see your frustration.

Last edited by damacman; 04-21-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 AM

When you buy a high end product for a high end price you expect high end service. You expect the manufacture to do whatever it takes to take care of the customer and not make him go through this.

A good example... my wife and I owned Mercedes automobiles for years. We decided to give BMW a try. A car and a SUV. My car had many problems. Between dropping the car off and picking it back up I visited the dealership 36 times in less than a year. BMW refused to do anything but what they were required to do which was continue to repair the car over and over.

So they did what they are required to do and in the process lost customers. As I told them and the dealer, when time comes we will not look at BMW the next time. After my car was taken out by a guy driving without a license and needed to be replaced I did not go back to the BMW dealership. My wife and I both bought new Mercedes, a car and a SUV.

The same applies here. They may be doing the minimal that they are required, but by doing so they are loosing several customers. When you sell the type of products McIntosh sells you can't afford to make stupid moves, poor customer service. Especially in today's environment of fast information sharing this type of action (or lack there of) has immediate repercussion.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:17 AM

I could see a Samsung customer being treated in such an offhand manner - not a McIntosh customer.

McIntosh was the one who instructed OP to take his receiver to Magnolia. When Magnolia dropped the ball, McIntosh should have IMMEDIATELY taken control of the situation by shipping a new MAC6700 to Magnolia, along with a note of apology to the OP. Period.

At McIntosh prices, first rate customer treatment should be considered de rigueur.

An important opportunity has been lost. As it stands now, the situation is a real black eye to all McIntosh has ever stood for. Gordon Gow must be spinning in his grave.

Last edited by 62caddy; 04-21-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 AM

Maybe it's time to write to Charlie Randall (McIntosh CEO). I usually give the "rank and file" employees a chance to provide reasonably good customer service, when they are unwilling or unable to do so, the big boss should know.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
I could see a Samsung customer being treated in such an offhand manner - not a McIntosh customer.

McIntosh was the one who instructed OP to take his receiver to Magnolia. When Magnolia dropped the ball, McIntosh should have IMMEDIATELY taken control of the situation by shipping a new MAC6700 to Magnolia, along with a note of apology to the OP. Period.

At McIntosh prices, first rate customer treatment should be considered de rigueur.

An important opportunity has been lost. As it stands now, the situation is a real black eye to all McIntosh has ever stood for. Gordon Gow must be spinning in his grave.
Fortunately for me Samsung took care of the problem not BeztBuy. If Samsung can pay to pick up a refrigerator, McIntosh can pay for a return trip too,it is at least 4 × more expensive.
Priorities have been changed in business,margins are close but without customer satisfaction it's a diseased plant that with wither and die.