AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 09-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Default Sophia 3's are home.

Good news is.. They're here! Bad news is that the room is not quite ready yet... I've also been a bit too busy lately to even plan which gear is going to be their partners. Decisions, decisions...
Old 09-22-2010, 12:21 PM

Sounds like minor issues. I am sure you will be testing them out pretty soon.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Good news is.. They're here! Bad news is that the room is not quite ready yet... I've also been a bit too busy lately to even plan which gear is going to be their partners. Decisions, decisions...
Oh I understand that completely!! I was waiting on my room to be finished with my repained W/P's for a couple months. Was a LOOOoonnngg couple months The pay off is worth the wait though.

You should hook them up to something and start breaking them in while you wait
Old 09-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Congrats Serge.

Which color?

I had the chance to give them a long liten with P McGrath himself, and I was very impressed. You could afford them Lamm, or ARC 40th Anniversary Preamp, or....
Old 09-22-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildebs888 View Post
Oh I understand that completely!! I was waiting on my room to be finished with my repained W/P's for a couple months. Was a LOOOoonnngg couple months The pay off is worth the wait though.

You should hook them up to something and start breaking them in while you wait
Deb, of course they weren't going to just sit around.. It took all but 10 min for me to hook them up in a 14x14 room with a really old Bryston 4B amp and the old work horse Mcintosh MCD201 cd player that has been used lately to break in speakers and has been left on repeat for probably well over 1000 hrs.. Of course transparent cabling..

I've got to say, even with that older gear and a completely bare room other than carpet, it was goosebumps from the first note... They are so well behaved, no excessive bass bloat, warmish midrange and sooo musical and emotional. Completely non-fatiguing sound, relaxed, rich, musical. I am so happy with my choice and sooo glad Wilson is back in my house! You guys did a great job designing the sophia 3's.

Can't wait to put them in their own room and give them some decent gear.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post
Congrats Serge.

Which color?

I had the chance to give them a long liten with P McGrath himself, and I was very impressed. You could afford them Lamm, or ARC 40th Anniversary Preamp, or....
Jean-Marc, Macademia. Yes, these speakers deserve some great gear but also sound great with even more budget oriented gear. I really don't know how Wilson does it, a dynamic, expressive, revealing yet emotional
and very musical speaker without a trace of harshness or fatiguing qualities. Wilson is definitely on a roll lately. My dealer is selling Wilson brand like no other speaker before.

I'll have to give it some thought for the partnering gear but I can already tell they don't seem difficult to drive. It very well may be tubes on tubes in my analog room with the Sophia 3's.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Deb, of course they weren't going to just sit around.. It took all but 10 min for me to hook them up in a 14x14 room with a really old Bryston 4B amp and the old work horse Mcintosh MCD201 cd player that has been used lately to break in speakers and has been left on repeat for probably well over 1000 hrs.. Of course transparent cabling..

I've got to say, even with that older gear and a completely bare room other than carpet, it was goosebumps from the first note... They are so well behaved, no excessive bass bloat, warmish midrange and sooo musical and emotional. Completely non-fatiguing sound, relaxed, rich, musical. I am so happy with my choice and sooo glad Wilson is back in my house! You guys did a great job designing the sophia 3's.

Can't wait to put them in their own room and give them some decent gear.
I can imagin it now. You sitting there looking at those big crates wondering "should I?" for all of 20 seconds before grabing a drill and opening them up like a kid on Christmas day!

Great to hear you are so happy with them! Be sure to post some pictures soon!

Debby
Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 PM

Congrats Serge!! That is good to know... I should have my pair within a week as well.
Can't wait!!!