AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Stillpoints

Stillpoints Lower Your Noise Floor

Old 12-17-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Santa arrived a couple weeks early for me this year delivering a set of four Stillpoints Ultra Minis. What a wonderful gift. From all that has been said on the forum about the different Stillpoints models I was anxious to put them in service and discover for myself if all the hoopla is fact or fiction. The four Stillpoints Ultra Minis came well packaged and properly supported in the box, separated from each other by thick foam that secured their location inside the packaging. Included is a small allen wrench, the purpose of which is to adjust the height to a maximum of 1/8th inch. This provision allows the Ultra Minis to accommodate small variations in support platforms and shelves. They are properly set at the factory for a level surface and most applications will probably not find a need for adjustment. Stillpoints isolation feet were primarily designed to support and isolate speakers. This is Stillpoints recommended starting point when apply their products to your sound system. One would begin with isolating the speakers, then move to the amplifiers, then isolate the source components. My approach is the reverse. That is, I will begin my Stillpoints adventure by placing the Ultra Minis under my Esoteric K-03 CD/SACD/DAC in the studio system and see where this may lead. The Ultra Mini isolation feet are taller than the feet on the K-03 so there is no need to attempt to remove the feet from the Esoteric component. It is a bit of a challenge to get the Ultra Minis under the K-03 by yourself, as was my case. The K-03's healthy 64 lbs. is quite heavy for one hand to support while trying to manipulate the Ultra Minis into place under it with the other hand. I found some carpet sliders stacked on each other helped considerably to offset the weight. After all four were located under the K-03 to my satisfaction there was no need to perform any height adjustment. The Esoteric K-03 sat perfectly level with no movement whatsoever. Prior to the installation of the Stillpoints Ultra Minis I had Symposium Rollerblock Jr's under the K-03. When a component sits on Rollerblock Jr's it will wobble to the touch until the rollerballs settle back into there neutral position. This takes some getting used to when pressing buttons on the front panel. I never fully embraced the motion generated by the Rollerblock Jr's when operating a component's controls, although there is no denying the sonic benefits of their use. Naturally, I was wondering if I would be able to notice any sonic improvement with the Stillpoints Ultra Minis over the improvement the Rollerblock Jr's brought to the table. Once the Stillpoints Ultra Minis were installed it was time to put them to the test. My first CD selection was Lee Ritenour - Smoke "N" Mirrors, the title track. As I pressed the Play button on the K-03 it was nice not to have the component move. It was firmly secure. I like that. Second, I had a fleeting thought about perhaps not hearing any difference over what I was previously using. That thought vaporized immediately when the first musical notes began emanating from the Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers. I am not joking in the slightest when I say the Stillpoint Ultra Minis produced an instant increase in the sensation of space around instruments. In addition the sound stage grew wider. There were drum and other percussion instrument sounds now coming from well outside the physical location of the speakers that I had not heard before. Bass energy became more articulate, more accurately defined so that the low frequency energy felt stronger, sounding clearer with greater separation from other sounds. The midrange captured the exact same separation of instruments into a more clearly defined space. Lee's electric guitar became totally holographic in the middle of a well formed three dimensional sound field. The overall improvement in the presentation and resolution wasn't subtle to my ears. It happened from the first moment the music flowed and left me pondering how in the world this new found resolution could appear with the simple installation of four little isolation footers. It is unmistakable. Quite frankly, I don't understand the engineering and science behind how Stillpoints do what they do. I have read that the design transfers vertical vibration to horizontal motion thus converting that energy to heat. The dissimilar materials of ceramic and stainless steel must certainly play into the end results. Whatever the underlying technology, the Stillpoints Ultra Minis have stunned me with their positive impact on the sound coming from the studio system. I was not prepared for what I am hearing. My first look at these four small stainless steel footers left me wonder how they could possibly improve an already fabulous sounding system. That's the skeptic in me, the very same skeptic that was thoroughly trounced upon once the music began. I moved to listening to Shannon Whitworth and Barrett Smith - Bring It On Home. Playing "Moonglow" was a hypnotic experience. The duet had a perfect blend of their two voices yet still managed to improve my ability to focus individually on Shannon's voice or Barrett's voice without any mental strain. The muted trumpet floated in the right channel behind their voices and the guitar was equally separated in its well defined space. It is not that I wasn't already experiencing wonderful playback performance from the Esoteric K-03 and Rollerblock Jr's, but the Stillpoints Ultra Minis absolutely raised that performance bar to a new and higher level. There is no other way to describe it. CD's, SACD's, and Hi-Res files all delivered a fresh performance that has been enhanced by the installation of the Ultra Minis. It is thrilling and equally perplexing to hear how the resolution of all the sounds are improved by this superior isolation. Truly astonishing. I now have a new found appreciation for the many positive comments and reviews of the Stillpoints products. Placing the four Ultra Minis under a single source component has made me a believer in what Stillpoints products are capable of doing. I am positive the deeper into the Stillpoints product line one travels the greater the benefits will be displayed. True, Stillpoints are not inexpensive but quality rarely is. With all the isolation products available to choose from I believe it is safe to say by choosing Stillpoints from the beginning you will discover yourself at the head of the class. I have a feeling I am not done with my Stillpoints adventure.
Now do you believe us?

Sent on behalf of the UK Stillpoints User Group (awaiting creation)
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 12-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
Now do you believe us?
John.......I think my review thoroughly addresses your question.

To quote, "I now have a new found appreciation for the many positive comments and reviews of the Stillpoints products. Placing the four Ultra Minis under a single source component has made me a believer in what Stillpoints products are capable of doing."

I can't make it much clearer than that.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-17-2014, 12:23 PM

Well guys. I am still struggling with Stillpoints. I have moved from having 5's under my amps to Ultra SS. I am getting much the same results. I put them under the amps and everything sounds great. After a couple of days I remove them and it sounds different and great. I have put them back under and it sounds good. Sometimes I think I am kidding myself and any change is sounding good.

I tried them under the Meridian and no real difference.

This jury is still out.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jim.......I think the telling comment is, "I put them under the amps and everything sounds great. After a couple of days I remove them and it sounds different and great." Obviously there is something going on and from your comment it doesn't appear to be anything negative. Since my K-03 sits on a 1/2 inch thick tempered glass shelf the Ultra Minis may have some vibration to work with that reflects itself as an improved clarity when they support the Esoteric player. Perhaps your amplifier bases are more inert and consequently the Stillpoints are not necessarily needing to contribute as much decoupling as in my scenario. Who knows. All I can say about my application of the Ultra Minis is I am impressed with what they do in my system. I am now tempted to isolate that C1000C/P and the two MC2301 amplifiers.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-17-2014, 01:48 PM

Dan
You make some very good points. My Meridian unit functions only as a DAC/endpoint 98% of the time and where it sits it is not overly susceptible to vibration and normally it sits on HRS nimbus units. Therefore I did not expect much of s difference. I have read elsewhere that even Stillpoints does see any improvement when used with SME turntables.

Where I was expecting and hoping for improvement was with my amps. Even though the amps sit on well built wood stands I assumed they are susceptible to vibration as: 1) the stands are hollow 2) they sit between my speakers.

I believe that Stillpoints have their place in most systems. Just trying to make sure I get mine right.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:56 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Jim... There's not much going to help your setup. You're already there.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:05 PM

Nice review, Dan. Confirms my experience with four Ultra Minis parked under my Premier 17LS, Oppo BDP-83...and the Graham Slee PSU1 power supply for my Era Gold V MM phono stage.

At 2-3/8" wide, the PSU1 is just wide enough to support two Minis fore and two aft without having them stick out from under its chassis edges. That's a good thing, because installing them elevated (no pun) vinyl reproduction here to a new plateau, mirroring the soundstage, detail, and other improvements you note in your review.

Placing the Minis under the power supply also confirms what I've read elsewhere about the importance of "draining" vibrations from power transformers and associated components. It's an approach I've used under the Premier 17LS, where the Minis are not oriented in a symmetrical, esthetically-pleasing under-the-four-corners configuration, but instead with one under the transformer and the other three in other-than-corner positions. Doing it that way has made a noticeable sonic difference in this setup.

I hesitate to mention this here, because I don't want Ivan to ban me for suggesting that he consider revisiting the orientation of each of the Stillpoints sets he has already installed under his multi-Houston Control toys...but, as in real estate, location, location, location appears to be everything (particularly under source, amplification, and power components) if you want to milk the SP's to maximize their effect.

Next project: To start fussing with the location of the Minis under the Oppo.

Jim

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 AKM version (to be replaced by inbound Bryston BDA-3), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.

Last edited by jimtranr; 12-17-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Correct a verb
Old 12-17-2014, 05:46 PM

Maybe I need to try these with my K-03

Last edited by cma29; 12-19-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jim.......Thank you. Yes, I have been told that location of the Stillpoints under a component can impact their performance to one degree or another. It is certainly worth the effort to maximize their contribution.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Maybe I need to try these with my K-03

:scratch:
Carlos.......I think you would be as startled as I was upon first listen with the Stillpoints Ultra Minis under my K-03. I am a bona fide skeptic when it comes to many sound system tweaks, particularly isolation. You might even think of me as a resident of Missouri, the Show Me State, which I'm not of course but none the less I have a healthy curiosity when it comes to many of the wild claims routinely tossed around in audio circles. All I can say is the Ultra Minis certainly impress me. In my opinion, it is highly unlikely you will not benefit from a set of these marvels under your K-03.