AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Old 10-13-2009, 02:03 PM

Jerome,

Glad all is good.......where did the arm land tail up or down?

Happy Listening!
Old 10-13-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
Jerome,

Glad all is good.......where did the arm land tail up or down?

Happy Listening!
I reduced the VTA compared to my dealer's set-up.
The arm is abit lower near the lifting handle and a bit higher at the cart.
Tracking ability is much better now. The stylus does not jump with wraped records.
The bass is much deeper.
The stereo image is more precise.
Curiously the treble is more detailed.
And the mids are also richer and fuller.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Dan,

Yes your arm has a great great feature.
I have a few questions for you, Jeff or Serge and others about VTA adjustment.

I 've read many opposite things on the web so I'm a bit lost now.
After reading Serge's comment about being a man ( Raising a family, planting a tree and adjusting a TT ), I decided that after all, I made 10 years of studies for my job, so I could probably understand how to set-up a TT.
Jean Marc told me that having its TT checked by a friend, they noticed that our dealer did not set-up the TT perfectly.
So I started to make all the tests.
I'm waiting for the protractor Serge used. But cart alignment was made in front of me and seemed to be OK. I checked it again with the Clearaudio template and it looks perfect.

Now I'm adjusting VTA. It' true that you hear big differences in sound for very small adjustments.
Here are my questions :
1) I've read that VTA must be set-up with a VTF of 0. Then you set-up the VTF at the recommended force. Problem is that when you do that, the arm is no more parallel to the record !
2) So I adjusted the VTA with an approximate VTF. When I checked the VTF, it was 2.5 gms instead of the recommended 2.4 gms. No big deal. But if I set the VTF now at 2.4 gms, the arm won't be no more parallel to the record !
BTW, I used Jeff's tip but instead of a marked paper with parallel lines, I found more precision with using a simple protractor : I can check if the line is parallel to the arm and double check by reading where the arm crosses the protractor on both sides. See pictures attached. I'm glad I did it : my VTA was too high and the arm was absolutely not parallel to the record !
3) I read that VTA and VTF must be finely tuned by ear : so is the "parallel to the record" rule an absolute one ?
4) Serge, did you buy the VTA on the fly tool made by Clearaudio ?
To me, if the bass on a record is a bit boomy, it should be a great feature to raise the VTA a little bit and the opposite for treble. What a great tool.

Now about antiskating adjustment : do you use a virgin record to do it ?

I'm also posting a link to this post in a new thread cause I'm not sure Serge and Jeff are still reading this one.

Many thanks in advance !

Jérôme
beautiful `ttable Jerome
Old 10-16-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1 fan View Post
beautiful `ttable Jerome
Thanks Dave !
Old 08-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Serge,
I have a question. I read the instructions for the Maestro cartridge and it recommends using the metal platform with a wood cart. Looking at Clearaudios site they also show this metal platform in place.

Was there any reason you chose not to fit it?

Thanks
Darren

Old 08-08-2010, 03:47 PM

The extra weight is supplied for those needing a bit more headshell weight......the Maestro weighs in at 7 grams and can be a tad light with some arms. If your using a Clearaudio table with the Satisfy arm then you really don't need it however the Concept table with the Magnify arm bennifits from the extra mass at the headshell IMO.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
The extra weight is supplied for those needing a bit more headshell weight......the Maestro weighs in at 7 grams and can be a tad light with some arms. If your using a Clearaudio table with the Satisfy arm then you really don't need it however the Concept table with the Magnify arm bennifits from the extra mass at the headshell IMO.
I have a Concept TT with Magnifying arm. If I used the weight with the cart. the counter weight would be all the way on the back of the stubb....
Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosoul View Post
I have a Concept TT with Magnifying arm. If I used the weight with the cart. the counter weight would be all the way on the back of the stubb....
I have experience the same thing with and with out the weight on the Magnify.....IMO the Maestro is to lite for the Magnify arm hence its design, much better match with the Satisfy arm and no extra weight needed. When the Concept/Magnify hit the market the Maestro seemed to be the cart. best suited for the this package but as time went on we found the maestro not living up to its known performance as it does with the Satisfy and other arms. The magnify really shines with heavier cartridges like the Benz Ace, Benz Wood L2/H2, Ortofon Cadenza series, Ortofon Rhondo series, Shelter 501, Denon 103/103R and the new Concept cartridge which was designed for the Magnify......these all are in the 8 plus gram range and IMO better suited for the Magnify arm. As always YMMV
Old 08-09-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks Jeff. I'm using a Satisfy Arm (as part of the Clearaudio Performance SE.) I did my first set up an Saturday and I still need to tweak a little to add bass (tail down right?). I just wondered why the metal platform was included, as I fitted it when following the instructions. So long as it's not doing any harm, I'm comfortable leaving it there.

Thanks to Serge also for a comprehensive thread. I'm not sure that I'm spot on..but I know I am in the right ball park.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbz View Post
Thanks Jeff. I'm using a Satisfy Arm (as part of the Clearaudio Performance SE.) I did my first set up an Saturday and I still need to tweak a little to add bass (tail down right?). I just wondered why the metal platform was included, as I fitted it when following the instructions. So long as it's not doing any harm, I'm comfortable leaving it there.

Thanks to Serge also for a comprehensive thread. I'm not sure that I'm spot on..but I know I am in the right ball park.
Yes, tail down will fill in the bottom end and tail up adds more high freq. If you haven't done so try the Maestro tracking force at around 2.28 grams with 1/4 to 1/3 anti-skate. Want to bring it up a few notches try a mat and record weight .......