AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 12-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Dan, that makes good sense. Or Ivan's stands?

I only just fired off the JL today for the first time, but it is doing for me what I'd hoped a sub would do in my system whereas the SVS has been harder to tame. My wife agrees. Unfortunately because I only have two (long enough) balanced cables I can't run the two off by just switching between the two, which my Mc system allows. Good old McIntosh....plenty of connections!

I have ordered the cable and connectors to make another pair of cables, and they will also be longer so I can get to move these things around to additional locations. Need to do your patented sub crawl! It is patented isn't it?
Lew.......Ivan's subwoofer stand and the one in my review are one and the same. It was co-developed by Ivan and Sound Anchor. PM Ivan for special pricing on this subwoofer stand.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-12-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowGEEZR View Post
I wonder how much of the differences were because one sub was a 13" while the other was a 16"? I wonder how a 13" SVS would have compared?
I had the SVS SB13 Ultra, JL Audio F110v2, and now the SVS SB16 Ultra. In my system/room I prefer the SB16 Ultra over both the SB13 and F110v2. I actually preferred the F110v2 over the SB13 Ultra. The F113v2 is more than I want to spend on a sub for mostly HT.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowGEEZR View Post
I wonder how much of the differences were because one sub was a 13" while the other was a 16"? I wonder how a 13" SVS would have compared?
Fair question. Probably the biggest news and selling feature of the SVS is their new driver, and it's quite a story. Link. I'm not sure what JL uses for their magnets (assume it's ferrite) but the SVS is ferrite, a lot of it. That's not the hot stuff but with an 8" voice coil, there's plenty of room to get the job done. It should have plenty of control.

I have no way to measure subsonic output but subjectively, the JL lacks for nothing but has better definition and greater resolution of the bass in my situation. I don't think it's just about the size of the cone.

I intend to listen to the JL for a few more days, then go back to the SVS and see how my initial impressions hold up. I'll try to determine if I was driving the SVS harder than the JL and give it another opportunity (or two) as I get accustomed to both devices. I can measure SPL above 20Hz quite consistently and I will do that over the days and week or two to come. I'd like to see if I've been driving the SVS harder or if there's more something to it and why I took such an instant shine to the JL.

This ain't necessarily over, you're just following my process.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:51 AM

Great post Lew! JL's are amazing. Like I mentioned in the Revel thread - try different positions as to where the driver faces, when I had a dual PB13Ultra set up with my 802D2s, they integrated amazingly positioned in the center of the room firing to the sides.
In my current set up - one driver faces the left and one the listening couch. Trick will work for either.

Watts / Driver size is like Horsepower / Cars - sometimes you can have too much. Several years ago I owned a highly modified car that made 500 lb/ tq at IDLE on the dyno and peaked at over 800. Fun for bragging, un-drivable even with warm, grooved slicks...

Keep us posted!!!
Old 12-13-2016, 02:50 PM

I use Harmonic Resolution System Nimbus couplers under my 113v2 to great results.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:46 AM

Lew,

What you are describing is what I heard when I compared the SVS SB13 Ultra to the JL Audio F110v2...the F110v2 had a tighter/more articulate bass. In my opinion the F110v2 was more musical and blended better for an overall better 2-channel system. I would love to get a hold of a F112 and compare it to my SB16. I had Aerial 7Ts with the JL F110v2s and submit my current speakers require the F112 or F113 to improve over what they already do.

Last edited by Ricjor1; 12-14-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Lew.......Ivan's subwoofer stand and the one in my review are one and the same. It was co-developed by Ivan and Sound Anchor. PM Ivan for special pricing on this subwoofer stand.
OOPS! And Haha! Once again your Christmas avatar distracted me!
Old 12-14-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
Lew,

What you are describing is what I heard when I compared the SVS SB13 Ultra to the JL Audio F110v2...the F110v2 had a tighter/more articulate bass. In my opinion the F110v2 was more musical and blended better for an overall better 2-channel system. I would love to get a hold of a F112 and compare it to my SB16. I had Aerial 7Ts with the JL F110v2s and submit my current speakers require the F112 or F113 to improve over what they already do.
Rick, the JL seems tighter, more controlled. But I'm not done with my subjective assessment. I'll reinstall the SVS tomorrow and give it another opportunity to redeem itself.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio View Post
Great post Lew! JL's are amazing. Like I mentioned in the Revel thread - try different positions as to where the driver faces, when I had a dual PB13Ultra set up with my 802D2s, they integrated amazingly positioned in the center of the room firing to the sides.
In my current set up - one driver faces the left and one the listening couch. Trick will work for either.

Watts / Driver size is like Horsepower / Cars - sometimes you can have too much. Several years ago I owned a highly modified car that made 500 lb/ tq at IDLE on the dyno and peaked at over 800. Fun for bragging, un-drivable even with warm, grooved slicks...

Keep us posted!!!
Pio, I'm getting longer balanced interconnects to facilitate more placement options. My options are limited now as my cabling limits the full gamut of placement possibilities.

I get the point of your last analogy. Sometimes too much is too much. The SVs could be suffering from that syndrome. With that in mind, the experiments will continue until the subject organism is cured or dies. I haven't tried center placement as yet, but I'll mess with pointing the things in different directions.
North, south, east or west
Try to guess which one is best!

Last edited by Pampero; 12-14-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:50 PM

I concur with much of what has been said. That said I'm a huge fan of the "lesser" E series due to their active 2 way crossover. Have you ever thought of trying the E 112 with your speakers? I've found the bass to be comparable to the higher end JL's and that crossover priceless in optimizing blending of speaker with sub. My 2 cents.