AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Tannoy Speakers

Tannoy Speakers Over 80 Years of Audio Invention

Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I've seen pictures of the biggest Tannoy models being in the smallest of rooms overseas. Seems very popular there, a fact that was confirmed by a Tannoy rep during a conversation. I guess it was no surprise when my Canterbury's fit right into my 13x21 room and behaved very well. Would an even bigger room do the bigger Tannoy's more justice? I am sure.. Listening to the Kingdom Royal in a bigger room is how should I put it.... simply FANTASTIC! What an incredible pair of speakers those Kingdom Royals are... Coherence, effortless dynamics, purity of tone that is virtually unmatched...
I was just reading up on the Canterburys. Universally, it seems, when the guys first install them they think they sound kind of "congested." Then they subsequently come in with updates: 20 hours, 100 hours, and so forth. They can't believe how great they sound as they break-in, but apparently they need a long break-in period. And just keep getting better.

You're not running your JL subs with those monsters, are you? Just curious.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
I was just reading up on the Canterburys. Universally, it seems, when the guys first install them they think they sound kind of "congested." Then they subsequently come in with updates: 20 hours, 100 hours, and so forth. They can't believe how great they sound as they break-in, but apparently they need a long break-in period. And just keep getting better.

You're not running your JL subs with those monsters, are you? Just curious.
I don't have them anymore but yes, they actually did get only better with time.. There was never any need for subs in my room with the Canterbury's. They actually had adjustable bass ports that you would slide open or closed with a wooden dowel to tune to the room. I had to close my ports a bit from full open as they started to overload the room with bass. That 15" driver sure could produce some real thumping and realistic bass. I always got a kick out of how effortlessly the 10w Shindo SET amp could drive them and bass sounded soooo good...
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I don't have them anymore but yes, they actually did get only better with time.. There was never any need for subs in my room with the Canterbury's. They actually had adjustable bass ports that you would slide open or closed with a wooden dowel to tune to the room. I had to close my ports a bit from full open as they started to overload the room with bass. That 15" driver sure could produce some real thumping and realistic bass. I always got a kick out of how effortlessly the 10w Shindo SET amp could drive them and bass sounded soooo good...
Cool. Did you ever run the Canterburys with Mc2301s? Or were those amps gone before the Canerburys arrived? Again, just curious.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
Cool. Did you ever run the Canterburys with Mc2301s? Or were those amps gone before the Canerburys arrived? Again, just curious.
No they were gone already. I think 300w is total overkill for a 96dB efficient speaker. Like I mentioned, 10w was more than enough for a typical 85-90dB peak listening session with bass authority that needed to be heard to be believed!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
No they were gone already. I think 300w is total overkill for a 96dB efficient speaker. Like I mentioned, 10w was more than enough for a typical 85-90dB peak listening session with bass authority that needed to be heard to be believed!
Roger that. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Many thanks to all for your replies and comments.

I went to visit my father tonight and listened to a few of my favorite tracks that I am very familiar with. The same tracks I used to auditioned the Turnberry SE. His system is comprised of a pair of Kensingtons, Mcintosh C200 pre, Bryston 4BSST, CEC T51 cdplayer, XLO Reference XLR interconnects and Van Den Hul Relevation speaker cables. His Kensingtons's midrange is so airy and clear and sweet that it just melts everything else I listen to. When I was auditioning the Turnberry my mind kept comparing it to the Kensingtons. I know how they sound and what they are cable of, but I felt like that the Turnberrys are very far apart from the Kensington. To be fair, the Turnberrys were driven by Accuphase equipment (I thought they arent that good.. not a good match to Tannoy Prestige speakers).

Has any one else have this issue where your auditioning something and then comparing it against something better? I know its not a fair comparison, something costing $17K vs $7 speakers. At the audition, I did compare the Turnberry to the Proac Studio 140MKii. The Turnberry did outshine the Proacs in many ways.

Would having the ST200 super tweeter help? I could always borrow (hopefully never return!) the super tweeters from my dad! Would it open up the mids and highs, making the sound much more airy?

Another concern I have now, is my amplification, I am lusting at your Mcintosh gear. I am looking at buying MA7000 amp to power the Turnberry, in any case the MA7000 can later push any speaker I throw at it. I am hoping the MA7000 has a tube like sound, the typical Mcintosh house sound? Or would a nice set of tube amps be a better match to the Turnberry? 300B or 2A3? or 845? or KT88?

Thanks in advance!!! Sorry about all these questions!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmslaw View Post
I can tell you that my 2301s powering my Westminster Royal SEs are a match made in heaven!! Having previously owned 501s, and knowing their tonal balance is very tubelike, I imagine your pairing would be very nice, indeed!
Hey,I know exactly what you are saying.