AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 PM

Question where to take the plunge...

Hey there, I'm looking for some input from anyone with direct experience with the Shindo line of amps. I have a pair of Sophia 300B mono blocks, but I've begun toying with getting a shindo amp to match our Shindo Vosne pre-amp. We have a pair of O96 speakers from Devore. So we're not looking for huge wattage. Candidly, I'd like to jump in to something I'll be happy with for a LONG time. So this means for me that I'm mostly interested in the monoblock varieties.

I look forward to your input - and for your help with finding the right mix of bang for our buck!

J

Last edited by FranklinLG; 08-21-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:07 PM

I think only Matt or Jonathan or John can give you a meaningful answer?
Old 08-18-2012, 09:08 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Paging Matt...
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-18-2012, 09:42 PM

Franklin,

not many choices in monos, just be prepared to open your wallet.

We are all so fortunate
Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 PM

When will you do a vr review? Loads of amp choices!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:36 PM

Franklin- I would ask Matt or your current Shindo dealer about the Corton Charlemagne 25 Watt mono's. I am quite enjoying mine w/ my 0/96's.
Rest of my system: Monbrison, WT Amadeus/Emt Tsd-15, Choir Hashimoto H-7 SUT, Lignolab component stand. I have not heard their other mono amps.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 PM

I have never heard your speakers, but my Petite Latours sing big with the GM70's. I am set for a long time (although the 300B Ltd have my curiosity).

Steve
Old 08-18-2012, 11:56 PM

For the O/96, you can try the Shindo SET amps. These should be sublime.

Pick your poison:
WE 300B
Lafon GM70
Cortese
Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucumber_Jones View Post
When will you do a vr review? Loads of amp choices!
Ah yes, the VR review. It's about 3/4 done. It will be up by labor day weekend - promise!

FWIW, the delay has more to do with me just being mentally fried from writing and typing all day for my "day" job. For me, the VR has been revolutionary. It really brought the music alive for me! And it is really the main driving reason I'm considering a Shindo amp. My reasoning there is that if the pre-amp can deliver this much to the experience, then maybe the amp will finish that "synergistic" sound. But I do wish they were just not so darn expensive!

J
Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindostevesan View Post
I have never heard your speakers, but my Petite Latours sing big with the GM70's. I am set for a long time (although the 300B Ltd have my curiosity).

Steve
Steve,

Thanks for sharing. I'm actually quite interested in the GM70's. My biggest issue is just grasping how much of a difference there might be between my Sophia Electric 300B monos and something like the GM70. My Sophias are restocked with great NOS Jan tubes and a pair of the Full Music premier 300B tubes. The costs of my tubes cost almost as much as the amps, and when you factor some other tweaks, including caps, the cost delta is less than $1,000. So I think I've pushed these to their maximum...

For the most part, I love these. I think they sound the best of anything I've ever had. But I have noticed some build quality issues and there is a strange hum issue tied to the amp's grounding. This requires very careful and creative placement of the amps. I also have one amp that "rattles" the rectifier tube, even when I switch tubes. So I know it's the amp and not the tube. This, coupled with a few other items, makes me feel dissatisfied with the build... And in turn the amp...

So I'd really welcome yours or anyone else's input on the GM70's (or other Shindo mono amps) and also the audio sound quality bump from going from a budget friend Sophia, tweaked to the max, to a not so budget friendly shindo amp. Also, FWIW, I'm not that interested in the stereo amps. I like mono style!

Ultimately, getting some input on user's candid thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to PM, if necessary, if you aren't comfortable being too candid here!

PS I'm not going to even consider the Shindo 300Bs... Way out of my financial comfort zone.

Last edited by FranklinLG; 08-19-2012 at 11:10 PM.