AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
Class AB, all of them. And yes, they can drive 4 Ohm loads. The ones I mentioned just above they're all THX Ultra2 Plus certified.
And lab tests performed on some of them that were reviewed, or their predecessors revealed so.

I can give you tons of links on Integra/Onkyo AV receivers' reviews, but you can google too. Check AreaDVD in Germany, check HomeTheater in the USA, check Audioholics in the USA, check Europe, France, UK, Great Britain, check everywhere, these are solid receivers.

You were requesting about the Integra DTR-80.3 specifically, check at AVS Forum, from the owners themselves.
The pre/pro equivalent I do have, Terry here has, and other members as well and we all like.

The amplification in Onkyo/Integra AV receivers (in particular their top tiers) is good, very good.
...Or they wouldn't be THX Ultra2 Plus certified.
And no matter what others are saying about THX, nowadays their seal of approval means an extensive list of passed parameters (amplification, preamplification, and even the video section).

Anything else you wanna know?
Since you were nice enough to ask... If I find the right pre-owned HT amp at the right price, I would consider the DHC-80.3 also. Any thoughts on using it with a Parasound A52, Cary 7.125 or Krell S-1500 HT amps vs. the Integra DTA-70.1?
Old 02-14-2013, 02:35 PM

I'm going to add few more things here:

1. All the A/V receivers that I mentioned in this thread are all high end receivers.
2. You don't match them with $20,000 speakers or more. For that you use additional/external amplification.
...But with full sets of 5.1 speakers (including a good sub) in the $10,000 range or so, they rock!
3. And they'll even drive low impedance speaker's loads. ...And lower sensitivity as well.
4. Remember that too: Receivers nowadays are relieved of the heaviest loads; the bass, produced by the powered subwoofers.
-> You crossed all your speakers at 80Hz or so. ...In generally all cases when using a receiver.
5. And those receivers mentioned above; they all are excellent pre/pros, so down the road, if you decide to have higher end speakers (electrostatics and all), just add additional amplification good for 1 Ohm loads.

* If you want to know more, you can always check my Reference thread on Receivers over at WBF (What's Best Forum).
You'll find all the best reviews (links) over there, with detailed specs, and all that jazz. My username over there is NorthStar.
- Sorry, can't give you a direct link.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 02-14-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
Presently I would not purchase any Arcam products. I have had nothing but problems with there reliability even though I did like their sound. I had a AVR300 and the only sound that came out of it was stereo direct, no digital for HT. I presently still have a AVP 700 that in order to get sound to the left and right speaker needs to have one side plugged into XLR and the other plugged into RCA unbalanced. They are not worth spending any dollars on having them repaired. I have an old Denon AV receiver that has been problem free for over 8 years and still works great. Just my 2 cents.
It seems to be hit or miss. When I first got my 600 it froze up and would not work but was immediately replaced that same day. My 250 and 300 have worked flawlessly yet I have heard some have nothing but problems.

After all of Bob's help I agree it makes no sense to buy the AVR400 if you can buy comparable units for less and get more amplification and features they designed out of the 600.

I am curious how the AVR600 compares to these newer NAD and Denon units? I don't plan on changing it because it sounds so fantastic as is I can't imagine it getting much better. Something I seem to have an issue with when it comes to dedicated 2 channel (as the doorbell rings to deliver my upgraded Audience AU24SE interconnects )
MAIN SYSTEM: Shindo Masseto, (2) Accuphase A30's, Arcam DV29, Transrotor Darkstar, Jelco 750, CA DaVinci, Audience AU24SE, JL F-112, Totem Winds. Ricchard Gray OFFICE SYSTEM: Mac C26, Mac 2505, accuphase T-100, Marrantz, Technics SL1400MkII, CA 2002, Tandberg 10X, Nak 680ZX. Fried R3 signature (owned since new) HT: Arcam AVR600, Mrantz UD7007, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dali Helicon 7.0 (2) JL F-110, DAILY TV VIEWING: (In build phase)Panasonic 58" pro series Totem tribe 5.1 Arcam AVR300 (temp) DV88,Sony BR GAMING SYSTEM: Runco XP50DHD, Arcam AVR250, Dali Mentor 5.1, Xbox 360 .Too much more to list
Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
Presently I would not purchase any Arcam products. I have had nothing but problems with there reliability even though I did like their sound. I had a AVR300 and the only sound that came out of it was stereo direct, no digital for HT. I presently still have a AVP 700 that in order to get sound to the left and right speaker needs to have one side plugged into XLR and the other plugged into RCA unbalanced. They are not worth spending any dollars on having them repaired. I have an old Denon AV receiver that has been problem free for over 8 years and still works great. Just my 2 cents.
Hi Paul,

...And that is the reason why I also don't recommend Arcam receivers; just too many issues from the owners, in general.
Great quality sound means ZIP if the machine is not performing properly (reliability).

So, I totally agree with you. And for the owners of Arcam receivers, and pre/pros, without any issues, Bravo! ...You are part of an Elite minority.

And to be fair, every manufacturer has products that are more or less trouble-free.

I am not the ultimate expert on reliability for every manufacturer of receivers, pre/pros, amplifiers, CD/SACD players, Blu-ray players, etc., but I had my fair share of Japanese/China/Thailand/Indonesia/USA/UK etc. made audio/video products, and read enough from tons of owners, that I get a pretty good viewpoint on most of these products. ...And for several years.

My life is a tightrope act where I try to balance everything from the right perspective.
My own experience, knowledge, that I can share. ...But it is only a very lilliputian star's particle (very minuscule) from the vast sea of the huge universe.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 02-14-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Since you were nice enough to ask... If I find the right pre-owned HT amp at the right price, I would consider the DHC-80.3 also. Any thoughts on using it with a Parasound A52, Cary 7.125 or Krell S-1500 HT amps vs. the Integra DTA-70.1?
That, I can't answer, for the simple reason that I never tried it myself.

BUT! The Integra DHC-80.3 would certainly be a good match with a Parasound, or Cary, or Krell multichannel amp. And why not!
- The Integra DTA-70.1 multichannel amp? ...Very good too, but again, not with Rockport Technologies speakers, or Magico speakers, or Wilson Audio speakers.

See what I mean; it's all about fair balance between ALL the components.

Dedicated Pre/pros vs AV receivers:

...The Integra pre/pro, I am quite convinced (I am), would sound 'slightly' better, or 'fairly' more, depending, in general, than its cousin (counter-part), the Integra receiver. ...Like DHC-80.3 vs DTR-80.3 for example.

Why? First, no internal amplification to contaminate the delicate preamp section. Two, a dedicated power supply for the analog, and digital preamp section. Three, less wiring cramming and circuit boards inside. Four, more room to breathe, and less heat. Five, more care, in general, done by the designer, on parts and implementation of the overall ensemble.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 02-16-2013 at 02:15 AM. Reason: add up
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
That, I can't answer, for the simple reason that I never tried it myself.

BUT! The Integra DHC-80.3 would certainly be a good match with a Parasound, or Cary, or Krell multichannel amp. And why not!

* You meant the Integra DTR-70.1 AV receiver? ...The Integra pre/pro, I am quite convinced, would sound slightly better (or more, depending), in general, than its cousin, the Integra receiver.

Why? First, no internal amplification to contaminate the delicate preamp section. Two, a dedicated power supply for the analog, and digital preamp section. Three, less wiring cramming and circuit boards inside. Four, more room to breathe, and less heat. Five, more care, in general, done by the designer, on parts and implementation of the overall ensemble.
The DTA-70.1 is Integra's 9 channel HT amp. I'm just wondering if it's better to pair the DTA-70.1 with a DHC-80.3 as Integra intended or would a higher quality preowned amp sound better.

Your thoughts?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbo3.6 View Post

... the AVR600 ...? I don't plan on changing it because it sounds so fantastic as is I can't imagine it getting much better. ...
If we only talk sound quality and powerful and clean and detailed amplification here regarding the Arcam AVR600 AV receiver, and without any forceful sweat; then you are 100% right. That particular receiver is unique in the way of its amplifiers' implementation => whose rail-switching design can operate with a wider range of speaker impedances and sensitivities.
The AVR600 is the type of receiver you could use with $20,000 speakers!

But then, if you can afford it, why not go with Arcam's own dedicated pre/pro?

Again, sound quality only here; reliability is another game.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
The DTA-70.1 is Integra's 9 channel HT amp. I'm just wondering if it's better to pair the DTA-70.1 with a DHC-80.3 as Integra intended or would a higher quality preowned amp sound better.

Your thoughts?
I already edited my post before yours. ...Have a look, upstairs.

Of course that matching is always a good idea, and with amps and preamps it's the input sensitivity and impedance, as well the output level impedance that counts most.

Designers like McIntosh, Denon/Marantz, Integra/Onkyo, Classe, Krell, Parasound, Theta, etc., of dedicated pre/pros and multichannel amplifiers; they design their components to be compatible at best with each other.

But in audio there are no rules to follow; everything is good as long as it sounds good to you and safe to operate in your home and with your speakers and your family.

Do we need to match the preamp of a certain manufacturer with the amp of that same manufacturer?
As a common rule, it makes good sense. But do audio people have good common sense? See!

- I find it quite interesting what we're discussing here, but then, it's all deja vu all over again. No?
But, hey, I'm game, I'm always game.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 02-19-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: M......
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
If we only talk sound quality and powerful and clean and detailed amplification here regarding the Arcam AVR600 AV receiver, and without any forceful sweat; then you are 100% right. That particular receiver is unique in the way of its amplifiers' implementation => whose rail-switching design can operate with a wider range of speaker impedances and sensitivities.
The AVR600 is the type of receiver you could use with $20,000 speakers!

But then, if you can afford it, why not go with Arcam's own dedicated pre/pro?

Again, sound quality only here; reliability is another game.
Like I said I must be one of the lucky ones although I think I was lucky the first 600 screwed up the first day. The replacement has been totally reliable and doesn't even break a sweat. Sound is amazing but I am not brand loyal. (except for maybe Accuphase and Shindo for now) Arcam had a good run sound wise for a while although video is equally as important but if the sound is no good I don't care how good the picture is, but that is me.

As far as pre pros honestly I auditioned the 888 and 777 and they were not significantly better for my application and that car/track thing sucks up more than I care to admit. It is a fine line in the winter it is stereo once track season comes along it is all about car performance upgrades just can't commit

This room doesn't warrant spending more than a few grand on it it to do what it is designed to do. I hooked up the 300 just before fourth of July and I am lucky enough to watch the Macy's fireworks on the TV while watching the same fireworks out the window to the right. If I want to watch movies it is downstairs in a far better controlled environment.

I definitely got a great education and have a lot to think about.
MAIN SYSTEM: Shindo Masseto, (2) Accuphase A30's, Arcam DV29, Transrotor Darkstar, Jelco 750, CA DaVinci, Audience AU24SE, JL F-112, Totem Winds. Ricchard Gray OFFICE SYSTEM: Mac C26, Mac 2505, accuphase T-100, Marrantz, Technics SL1400MkII, CA 2002, Tandberg 10X, Nak 680ZX. Fried R3 signature (owned since new) HT: Arcam AVR600, Mrantz UD7007, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dali Helicon 7.0 (2) JL F-110, DAILY TV VIEWING: (In build phase)Panasonic 58" pro series Totem tribe 5.1 Arcam AVR300 (temp) DV88,Sony BR GAMING SYSTEM: Runco XP50DHD, Arcam AVR250, Dali Mentor 5.1, Xbox 360 .Too much more to list
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 PM

-- Did I also mention the Onkyo TX-NR3009 A/V receiver?

This beast you can find from $1,200 to $1,500 or so roughly.
It has Audyssey MultEQ XT32, and is Audyssey MultEQ Pro Ready.
It has six 32-bit/192kHz Stereo DACs (TI BB PCM-1795), three high performance TI Aureus DSP chips, four transformers, and weights 55 pounds.

There is this guy, an Hollywood professional film recording/mixer engineer, and he's using that exact same receiver in his own high end home theater sound system (with high quality speakers and subwoofers). And this guy's all about sound quality! ...Not froot loops movies here, but big/major/serious Hollywood blockbuster movies.
And not only that, but without any additional amplification!

Just thought of letting you know.

High End A/V receivers (2012-2013); my own picks (by price, most expensive first):

1. Onkyo TX-NR5010 (no need for Integra; they are 97% exactly the same, but the Onkyos cost fairly less)
2. Onkyo TX-NR5009
3. Onkyo TX-NR3010
4. Denon AVR-4520CI
5. Onkyo TX-NR3009
6. Denon AVR-4311CI

* All of the above have Audyssey MultEQ XT32, and are Audyssey MultEQ Pro Ready.
{Only the Onkyo 5009 and 3009 are 9.2-channel receivers; the others are all 11.2-channel receivers.}

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 02-19-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: {}