AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 AM

Default Dyn and Conrad Johnson

Extraordinary!!!! I just received the CA200 from Joe and it is so amazing that I am going to sell it - AUDIO NUTTISM - as I call it.

This incredible integrated is getting 100% plus out of the Focus 140's and the soundstage in my small den has become bigger than the den itself. This whole thing has inspired me to come up with a new plan for the den. First, I sell the CJ, then the Focus 140's, and then purchase the Dyn C1 in piano black. Temporarily, I use the NAD integrated until an IRA matures later this year and then buy a new CJ tube setup. I am so impressed with the CJ/DYN combo, and so is Valerie, that we have developed this new plan. I know "The Best Laid Plans of Mice an' Men Gang Aft Agley" but this should be a lot of fun.

Last edited by hkval; 01-22-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: quote correction
Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 AM

Too bad I had to get sick for the weekend
By the time I feel well again and can come over, who knows what plan you will have concocted

Actually HK offered to lend me the CJ for a while to use on my C2's until my new gear arrives. If I felt better this would definitely be in the system right now.

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 AM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkval View Post
Extraordinary!!!! I just received the CA200 from Joe and it is so amazing that I am going to sell it - AUDIO NUTTISM - as I call it.

This incredible integrated is getting 100% plus out of the Focus 140's and the soundstage in my small den has become bigger than the den itself. This whole thing has inspired me to come up with a new plan for the den. First, I sell the CJ, then the Focus 140's, and then purchase the Dyn C1 in piano black. Temporarily, I use the NAD integrated until an IRA matures later this year and then buy a new CJ tube setup. I am so impressed with the CJ/DYN combo, and so is Valerie, that we have developed this new plan. I know "The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men Aft Gang Alay" but this should be a lot of fun.
By all means, move up the Dyn line and get the C1s; I believe I had that (whether it was here or elsewhere)...that the CA200 would "outclass" the Focus 140s a bit. But why dump the CA200, when you just got it and love it so much?

I think I understand what you're saying: if the CA200 is this good, why not go with something even "better" from C-J, to match up with your new C1s? But what's "better", and what's that gonna cost you...to step up from what, by all account, is a real bang-for-the-buck, all-in-one unit?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:24 PM

I had wanted to pair the CA200 with the GAT for the long term listening sessions and have the LP125MSE/GAT as the sweet tube amp setup. I am a little too focused on speakers at this point to have made that happen.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Howard,
I'm delighted you've discovered the magic of C-J and Dynaudios; congratulations. I was pretty confident you'd find the match quite compelling.

I agree with CD and I think he makes some very good points. I think one of the reasons you like the CA200 so much is because the CA200 itself is so good, so I also wonder why you would get rid of it so soon after getting it. Especially when you consider how much as you like it. For C1s, which are less efficient than 140s, the power/current and damping factor a CA200 would bring is really useful.

I think in order to get something that would deliver on what the CA200 brings to the table, you'd need a pretty powerful set of tube monoblocks, used C-J LP140Ms, LP125Ms, or the hybrid ET250S. An MV60 or LP66S isn't going to do for the C1s what the CA200 does. There's a number of used or new C-J tube preamps that would work well, I would look for a used Premier 17 or 16 or CT-5 to start with.

But, I keep coming back to why get rid of the CA200? If it were me, at the very least I'd sell the NAD and Focus 140s, and get the C1's and keep the CA200, at the very least until your CD matures. If you're still thinking of going to an all-tube C-J system, I'd then take your C1s to your dealer to listen to what C-J tube gear would work with the C1s, or best scenario, arrange for an in-home trial to ensure that you'd be happy with something that really was better than the CA200. If you do find a tube setup that you like better than the CA200, at least you'll have the pleasure of using the CA200 with your C1's until you get your tube setup established.

Just a lot of decisions, but the fun part is that you know you'll end up with something you'll really love, and that's all good.

Just my 2˘.

Best,
Stephen
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-22-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I agree with CD and I think he makes some very good points.
And this is rare indeed, so take notice Howard...lol

In all seriousness...I think all we're saying is, yes...Focus 140 to C1 is a no-brainer, if money allows. You've seen how far "up" they've taken the 140s...but it's still probably limiting the CA200.

Pair it with C1s, and see how the CA200 soars. If you still feel you can do "better"...and we've all been there...sure, auditioning gear can be fun, fun, fun. Again, I think all we're saying is...don't be surprised if you have to spend a LOT more to wring "better" from that combo.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:55 PM

I totally agree with Puma and CD and my logic of "sequence purchase" is flawed "BUT I WANT THE C1 AND I WANT IT NOW". I am just a young child in an older container.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
And this is rare indeed, so take notice Howard...lol

In all seriousness...I think all we're saying is, yes...Focus 140 to C1 is a no-brainer, if money allows. You've seen how far "up" they've taken the 140s...but it's still probably limiting the CA200.

Pair it with C1s, and see how the CA200 soars. If you still feel you can do "better"...and we've all been there...sure, auditioning gear can be fun, fun, fun. Again, I think all we're saying is...don't be surprised if you have to spend a LOT more to wring "better" from that combo.
Yup! Bingo.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:29 PM

pm sent
Old 01-22-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkval View Post
I totally agree with Puma and CD and my logic of "sequence purchase" is flawed "BUT I WANT THE C1 AND I WANT IT NOW". I am just a young child in an older container.
Yes...buy C1s NOW (or 25s? ); just keep the CA200.