AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 AM

Default 11.2 surround

Has anyone installed/experimented will 11 channel surround? I know it's not encoded in the source. Any compelling reasons on doing this?

- Howard
Old 06-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldar View Post
Has anyone installed/experimented will 11 channel surround? I know it's not encoded in the source. Any compelling reasons on doing this?

- Howard
Howard.......Unless you just like giving your money away to A/V manufacturers for electronics and speakers, I see no point in 11 channel surround. A well implemented 5.1 surround system presents a convincing home theater sound stage.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-21-2013, 11:16 AM

I think it does work pretty well. I use DTS Neo X with a Marantz AV8801, and it sounds incredibly immersive especially with a NeoX soundtrack like Dredd/Expendables 2.

Man of Steel will be as well I think
Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 PM

When McIntosh allows me with a new processor, I'm going to 9.1. Don't think I can physically do the "width" channels, but I'd like to if i get the room. Might go more one day if Dolby Atmos hits the home market. It's a great excuse to have more blue meters in the rack
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 AM

Thanks guys, helpful input. I'm really leaning towards going 11 channels. Maybe just because I can

I have a similar wide issue with my room. I plan on solving it by moving the L/R wides a few feet forward along the side walls angled towards the reference listening position. I am assuming that the Audyssey calibration will be able to compensate for any distance adjustments in the placement. I'm still in the framing stage of the room so it will be a while before I can report on the results.

I welcome any opinions or suggestions!

Thanks,
Howard
Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 AM

I think the wides just need to be at the right angle rather than along the front wall next to the front LR speakers.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I think the wides just need to be at the right angle rather than along the front wall next to the front LR speakers.
Agreed, but I don't have a wide enough front wall, so I'm going to widen the angle by moving them up.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Howard.......Unless you just like giving your money away to A/V manufacturers for electronics and speakers, I see no point in 11 channel surround. A well implemented 5.1 surround system presents a convincing home theater sound stage.
+1

Only my two cents so take it for what it is worth. Jeff Meier with Accu Cal who professionally calibrated my room and hundreds of others every year is not a big fan of the 9 and 11 speaker systems... When I asked him about the rears for my place he said that such a small amount of the audio is design for them that he did not feel it was worth it.

If you already own all of those speakers that yeah hook em up and see if you like it. But if not maybe just wire the room for it and put the best 5.1 system in that you can afford and go from there. Then if you are not satisfied you have the wires in for the others.

Good luck either way you go... That is the cool part about these HT builds, it is your room so do what you want.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 View Post

+1

Only my two cents so take it for what it is worth. Jeff Meier with Accu Cal who professionally calibrated my room and hundreds of others every year is not a big fan of the 9 and 11 speaker systems... When I asked him about the rears for my place he said that such a small amount of the audio is design for them that he did not feel it was worth it.

If you already own all of those speakers that yeah hook em up and see if you like it. But if not maybe just wire the room for it and put the best 5.1 system in that you can afford and go from there. Then if you are not satisfied you have the wires in for the others.

Good luck either way you go... That is the cool part about these HT builds, it is your room so do what you want.
thanks!

I do already have the speakers. The Marantz AV8801 is less $ than the MX121 much less the MX151. Since McIntosh doesn't make a 4 or 8 channel amp, I think I've decided to use two MC205s (10 total channels) to drive the 8 total channels for the front high/wides and the surrounds I'll use the two left over channels from the MC205s for another pair of speakers in another room in the basement... Probably connect them to a Sonos for the bar

At any rate, you are correct about wiring for it. Ivan was kind enough to place the order for the spool of Luna 16/4 with Wireworld this morning! (Thanks again Ivan!)

- Howard
Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 PM

I have played with the 7.1 on my system and the movies etc that support it, I think it is a waste of $$$ and I prefer the 5.1 is enough, everything else 2 ch and subs is what it should be IMOP