AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM

Toga,

Don't worry about bass at this point. Those huge woofers will take a while to break in. I've heard a properly broken in Q7, and trust me, there is LOTS of bass
And it makes no sense to have your dealer work on position this early in the game too. Give it about a month, then call for their help.

alexandre
Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 PM

Thanks again everybody
1. Single wire option is impossible for me because that will require new pair plus long wait time, my pair are NOS.
And of course new one will be much more $$$$, surprisingly my SER NO is 0075. But fine, Wilson sold hundreds of Alexandria before. Frankly, I never think that factory cost is very high with these, 90,000$ is more appropriate MSRP.
So at more than 100 pairs sold, that will be a lot of profit. Enough to build new factory.
2. Yes, I know that it will be long before those woofers free up because they vibrate rather than move in and out, unlike
Q3 woofers that always show movement when play hard.
3. About glass of water test, it was interesting video, but I believe even on badly constructed MDF speakers the water will
Not visibly moved anyway.
4. Back to Q7 experience, playing a live concert BD was also a new experience, it sound so live and loud. Midrange clarity
And sound of percussion and cymbals is very addictive. The way it go from whispering to explosive in a heartbeat is also
New to me.
5. Despite with its high sensitivity, I think powerful solidstate amp is still required to make what I heard, I don t think
My Ref75 can do what I heard from Moon.

Ok time to stop burn in tone and play real music for the next 16 hours.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 AM

Hi Toga,

Just take the time for the correct placement, to get the "magic" out of the magicos takes a lot of patience. I bought my V3's from a dealer second hand (I know, not comparable to your speakers) and together with the dealer it took us a full day before I was happy.

Even tweeter hight mattered, but with everything alligned, I could not get the smile of my face.

Olaf
Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Here they are .
More about this later.
Toga
Sweeeeeeet ...................
Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Charles, dealer did not fine tune anything as it was late in the afternoon already.

Once speaker have more running hours they will come with lifter to remove casters.
With casters, the q7 base is 4" off ground. But Q3 in this exact position has more bass drive.
I will need some more time to use XTZ to measure bass response in each different positions in a later day.

Its quite a surprise to me, i did expect much better bass improvement but with similar mid/ high to Q3.
The result is opposite, quality of mid/high is like a different world from Q3 while I get less bass impact.
Not that they are bass shy, just that coming from 3 of 7" woofers to twin 12"+single 10" I expect more.
Of course they are all connect in-phase. I curious why don't Magico use this same mid and tweeter in other speakers in Q series. Like Q1/3/5 MKII . They are so good.

What I wanna do most now is to drive them with ARC Ref75. Just can't due to insufficient cable length.

Toga
Toga, This lack of bass will not sit well with some here who boast about it.................

Last edited by A.Wayne; 05-16-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 PM

Q7 is blasting.
I really cannot say they lack of bass. When the moment come during movie or music
Deep bass is immense in both impact and weight. sudden bass explode like it should.
But rhythmic bass such as those from guitar bass in music just not chest crunching as
What I heard from Q3. Don t want to bias, but I feel like after 50 hours of continuous playing, they are
Getting better bit by bit. I don't have issue with mid/high even at this stage of burn in. Not a bit.
May be Q3 s bass rich nature ( until woofers hit movement limit) make a dead neutral q7 sound
This way initially. Living with Sophia3 for a year and always enjoy their bass, but once was with Q3 for
Some times, Sophia 3 sounded light in bass as well in comparison.
I will show you again how skinny my Nordost jumpers are. And they drive midbass driver too.
I connect it this way to put jumper equally on both HF and LF terminals. Running both jumpers to HF
Make sound too bright. Yes these jumpers is bright and sparkling up top but light in bass.
Is it worth to pay for upgrade from Q3 to Q7? Absolutely no. Q3 is very good speaker and they over charge
For their top model. But Do I want to turn back the clock ? Absolutely not. This is a sound that I have dream about for years.
Tonight will try Shiefield/XLO tone rather than AYRE s tone to burn in until morning.

Toga
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-234348498.jpg (30.8 KB, 90 views)
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Toga, I understand the "thump in the chest" feeling to be mid-bass (100 H to 200H), which I think is most affected by the speakers coupling to each other. Does moving them a bit closer to each other improve the mid-bass response?
Old 05-16-2013, 03:48 PM

Wow! These speakers look amazing.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Q7 is blasting.
I really cannot say they lack of bass. When the moment come during movie or music
Deep bass is immense in both impact and weight. sudden bass explode like it should.
But rhythmic bass such as those from guitar bass in music just not chest crunching as
What I heard from Q3. Don t want to bias, but I feel like after 50 hours of continuous playing, they are
Getting better bit by bit. I don't have issue with mid/high even at this stage of burn in. Not a bit.
May be Q3 s bass rich nature ( until woofers hit movement limit) make a dead neutral q7 sound
This way initially. Living with Sophia3 for a year and always enjoy their bass, but once was with Q3 for
Some times, Sophia 3 sounded light in bass as well in comparison.
I will show you again how skinny my Nordost jumpers are. And they drive midbass driver too.
I connect it this way to put jumper equally on both HF and LF terminals. Running both jumpers to HF
Make sound too bright. Yes these jumpers is bright and sparkling up top but light in bass.
Is it worth to pay for upgrade from Q3 to Q7? Absolutely no. Q3 is very good speaker and they over charge
For their top model. But Do I want to turn back the clock ? Absolutely not. This is a sound that I have dream about for years.
Tonight will try Shiefield/XLO tone rather than AYRE s tone to burn in until morning.

Toga
I don't think you are suppose to hook them up the way you did. You may wish to ask your dealer about that. Also, a Ref75 is seriously under power for such speakers. Yes they are efficient but to get these bass drivers to move, you will need a bit more than 75W tube amp.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Toga, I understand the "thump in the chest" feeling to be mid-bass (100 H to 200H), which I think is most affected by the speakers coupling to each other. Does moving them a bit closer to each other improve the mid-bass response?
No thump in chest is in the 50-70 hz range .....

@Toga :

Agree you will need more power on the Q7's ......