AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 PM

Default Stands for Magico SCC

Hi, I woud like to get an idea from you. what If I want to raise Magico SCC center channel speakers for 20 centimeters or approx 7.9" . What Kind of stand is suitable ? The shape of Magico's own bottom plate that will make contact with floor is oddly shaped. Contact area will be small. Here are Tiglon PA-20L stand that I plan to use. but not sure in what orientation. how do you suggest on how to put these stands ? pls forgive me for lousy touchscreen drawings. The reason to raise it up is because my amp is so high, I dont wanna block the speaker, but sound reflection cannot be avoided, however.
Toga
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3087428948.jpg (46.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg image-2128638643.jpg (32.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg image-1899206761.jpg (46.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg image-1768932656.jpg (47.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg image-1370468319.jpg (34.9 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by TOGA; 10-15-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:20 AM

The other idea is to put SCC on TAOC RS60G
And use local custom-made short stand under TAOC.
Top plate made it same size as TAOC.
Here are sample of locally made stand, I will require just one side though.
It cost around 1/10 of Japanese tiglon.
There are 3,4,5,6 pillars to chose. Sand fillable.

Toga
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-805500439.jpg (42.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg image-3479496688.jpg (40.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Bodhisattva

Have you considered a custom, but economical option like Sound Anchors? Really for a centre channel you don't want to spend any more than that. Best of all, Sound Anchors can custom purpose the stand specifically for the size & weight of the Magico SCC. Just another option to consider. Here is a link - Adjustable Monitor Stands | Speaker Stands | Studio Stands | Amplifier Stands
Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the link. For custom, the local company will do anything at much cheaper price.
Thanks for the idea, I will find a good designs from your link. Being a center channel, I considered it to be very important. And with lesson learned from the Gryphon Support and isolation. I am sure type of stands, weight, material and coupling method will have great effect. i never have stand-mount speakers before, so I dont have experience. Should I go for high mass stand or light weight one? Should I fill sand into stand columns? I have to find the way to make less negative sonic impact from Gryphon in front of SCC too. Still a long way to go, center cable is still simple Kimber 8Tc, amp is 15 years old Proceed HPA3. But I expect SCC to be great improvement over 15 years old Def Tech CLR3000. Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 10-16-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Thanks for the link. For custom, the local company will do anything at much cheaper price.
Cool! I'd say go for it! But bare in mind you often (not always) get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Thanks for the idea, I will find a good designs from your link. Being a center channel, I considered it to be very important. And with lesson learned from the Gryphon Support and isolation. I am sure type of stands, weight, material and coupling method will have great effect. i never have stand-mount speakers before, so I dont have experience. Should I go for high mass stand or light weight one? Should I fill sand into stand columns? I have to find the way to make less negative sonic impact from Gryphon in front of SCC too. Still a long way to go, center cable is still simple Kimber 8Tc, amp is 15 years old Proceed HPA3. But I expect SCC to be great improvement over 15 years old Def Tech CLR3000. Toga
Keep in mind the Magico S series already use thick, inert cabinets which are fairly non-resonant already. Personally, in your position, I would get a custom stand made by your local company in a heavy box construction with spikes/cups & put the money I save into upgrading my cables and amp

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 10-17-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:45 AM

I would use the standard stand delivered with your SCC. It will be more stable than any other stands, because it is designed for the SCC, at a higher quality standard than most stands on the market... I had at home 2 other stands from my previous HT systems (one of them filled with sand), the stand of my SCC gives a better floor contact, and a better contact between the curved form of the speaker and the top of the stand.

I think that the SCC can now be bought with stands of 3 different lengths (I bought the standard one), why don't you ask the price for one of the longer length options?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I would use the standard stand delivered with your SCC. It will be more stable than any other stands, because it is designed for the SCC, at a higher quality standard than most stands on the market... I had at home 2 other stands from my previous HT systems (one of them filled with sand), the stand of my SCC gives a better floor contact, and a better contact between the curved form of the speaker and the top of the stand.

I think that the SCC can now be bought with stands of 3 different lengths (I bought the standard one), why don't you ask the price for one of the longer length options?
Great input Jazzman
Old 10-17-2013, 11:12 AM

Jazzman, Thanks a lot. The speakers will be shipped soon. And I will use SCC supplied stand, I just have to put it on something to make it higher. Pls see pictures from first post. I will check about the height options, great info. But I don't wanna pay more than the already expensive 16,800$. Must check price first. Have to find the way to contact Magico, for now want the height to be between 70-80 cm. Standard stand make it 50cm. Oh and by the way , does it come with any grill?
Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 10-17-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:56 PM

The SCC is not delivered with grill. I couldn't care less... always found grills detrimental to sound quality.
Pretty easy to contact magico, just go on their website magico.net....
Old 10-17-2013, 06:10 PM

I called Magico, the optional stand is not quite a reality yet, but there is an idea. Price still unknown, heights unknown. But he said he believed the higher one will make it 28" tall which is just right for me. But with Magico, I expect nothing less than 1,000$ Or more for each extra inch. Ouch.. Toga. Consulted with local dealer, he said it is probably too late for me to change anything as speaker was supposed to shipped out of factory since last Monday, also the up charge will be immensely expensive. If I order new set I will have to wait long and new deal will never be as good.

Last edited by TOGA; 10-18-2013 at 02:18 AM.