AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > DeVore Fidelity

DeVore Fidelity Nothing brings you closer to the Music

Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logey View Post
Well I traded in the Orangutan 96's today for my dealers demo pair of Silverback's in walnut. After living with the O's for a couple of months I realized I like speakers that are more resolving, more transparent, have the ability to project a large soundstage and have deep, tight bass. I think the SB's are those speakers. My dealer kept me whole on my O's purchase and will let me upgrade the Silverback's whenever I want. Pretty excited. He should be able to deliver them next week. He did mention that my Cortese may not be the best match. Anyone have any experience with the Cortese driving a pair of SB's? Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Good for you! Your dealer in New York?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucumber_Jones View Post
Good for you! Your dealer in New York?
OHIO!

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
SOURCES: Analog 1 - Well Tempered Amadeus + EMT TSD15 + Lehmann Audio Decade Phonostage. Analog 2 - Thorens TD124 + Origin Live Zephyr Tonearm + Dynavector Karat 17D3 + Dynavector P75 MKll Phonestage Digital - Ayre QX-5 Twenty Amps - Nagra CLassic Amp (2) + Nagra Jazz Pre SPEAKERS - TAD CE1
Cables - Wireworld.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
OHIO! Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
ahhh...
Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Well I traded in the Orangutan 96's today for my dealers demo pair of Silverback's in walnut. After living with the O's for a couple of months I realized I like speakers that are more resolving, more transparent, have the ability to project a large soundstage and have deep, tight bass. I think the SB's are those speakers. My dealer kept me whole on my O's purchase and will let me upgrade the Silverback's whenever I want. Pretty excited. He should be able to deliver them next week.

He did mention that my Cortese may not be the best match. Anyone have any experience with the Cortese driving a pair of SB's?

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Congrats Logey! The SBs are spectacular -I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I demo'd the Cortese a few years ago and remember being floored what those 10 Watts could do. Frankly, the biggest tipping point for me choosing the Sinhonias over the Cortese was that I was looking at the last pair of Sinhonias available -so it would've been much easier to go back to the Cortese if I wasn't happy.

I think it may just come down to they type of music and how you listen to it. I gotta imagine there are quite a few happy Cortese/Silverback owners out there. I thought it was a remarkable combo.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:23 AM

Kudos Logey! You will love the Silverbacks. I had a pair of them for about 1.5 years and still miss the heck out of them. Very special speakers that punch way above their price point. Like you, I have compared them to the O 96's and I agree that the SBs better the O 96's in the manner you described. I unfortunately did not have a Cortese or other Shindo amp to drive my former SBs, so I cannot offer any comments about the suitability of that particular pairing. But you will find that our for yourself soon enough! Enjoy!

Good listening!

Steven
Old 03-06-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Well I traded in the Orangutan 96's today for my dealers demo pair of Silverback's in walnut. After living with the O's for a couple of months I realized I like speakers that are more resolving, more transparent, have the ability to project a large soundstage and have deep, tight bass. I think the SB's are those speakers. My dealer kept me whole on my O's purchase and will let me upgrade the Silverback's whenever I want. Pretty excited. He should be able to deliver them next week. He did mention that my Cortese may not be the best match. Anyone have any experience with the Cortese driving a pair of SB's? Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Cortese and silverbacks. Curious to hear your results. Not what is usually recommended. Good luck.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR View Post
Cortese and silverbacks. Curious to hear your results. Not what is usually recommended. Good luck.
Nolg4evr,
I had made the assumption all Devore partnered well with Shindo? Is that not the case? Interested in your experience
Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 PM

It's true a lot of Devore/Shindo combinations are fantastic, but some won't work as well as others. The concern most would have is Silverbacks are rated at about 91db efficient (not ideal for a typical SET amp). On paper, it's not the best pairing.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronan View Post
Nolg4evr, I had made the assumption all Devore partnered well with Shindo? Is that not the case? Interested in your experience
That is not the case.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronan View Post
Nolg4evr, I had made the assumption all Devore partnered well with Shindo? Is that not the case? Interested in your experience
I have no experience with the Silverbacks. I understand they are a great speaker and with the right amplification have made beautiful music. As old grey said on paper your Cortese and the SB are not the best pairing. I think the only Shindo amp made today that would get the best result from the SB would be the CCQ's

Before I purchased my current system I consulted with both my dealer and Jonathan Halpern. Even though my amps put out nearly double the power of your Cortese I was advised to go with the high efficiency 0/96, at least until I have a room that will suit the Latour's.
The goal is to create an organic, effortless flow to the music. Unless you are prepared to change amps I am not sure that will happen. I could be wrong. Good luck with it.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables