AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-08-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Hi Dr. Melby,
Its very good to hear that you found my "impressions review" to be informative and accurate, but more importantly, that you are happy with your purchase because you are having engaging and beguiling musical experiences

Your insights about the Sigma XC brings are accurate and consistent with my experiences and also, I think, consistent with how Shunyata designs the various types of cables for their respective applications.

I remember reading some information from Shunyata that they had discovered in their 20+ years of designing power cables and based on extensive listening tests, that DTCD is the most single most important functional attribute for power cables with respect for their ability to re-create musical experiences that listeners found most realistic and most-involving.

As Shunyata has systematically developed other useful capabilities for their power cables, the most notable of which may be their built-in noise reduction functionality. I also think what has happened from these developments, to some degree, is that some folks may place NR over other functional attributes. However, my understanding is that even with these new developments e.g. NR, they must still be "in service" to DTCD.

So, DTCD is Requirement #1 and what you are hearing and experiencing is a direct result of the innovation and performance brought by the new Sigma XC. The most compelling thing I've discovered about it is that the normal "audiophile lexicon" we all used for years to describe "gear" doesn't serve to describe what we're hearing. We'd better served by writing about what makes a Bosendorer Concert Grand so wonderful, or the timbral differences between a Stradivarius vs. a Guanerius violin.

If we step aside from talking about power cables for a moment, we're aware of a large number of power distributors that also provide noise reduction capability. How to do this has been known for some time: you can reduce AC noise by using coils, chokes, or inductors, balun transformers, etc., or some combination of these. The problem with these approaches, though, is that these methodologies sacrifice DTCD for noise reduction. The result is a presentation that is quieter, but often sounds dark, lacks immediacy, ability to scale very quickly, and as a result, often sounds constricted or restricted. And most certainly, not engaging, involving and life-like.

Some of the key breakthoughs that Shunyata has been developing for the last decade is the ability to provide increasing levels of NR in power distributors (PD) without using chokes, coils, inductors, transfomers, and without compromising DTCD. Starting with the Hydra 8, V-Ray, and Triton V1, and then continuing on with the Triton V2, V3 and the Denali series, Shunyata has been able to continally decrease noise while maximizing DTCD. This represents a significant innovation, because they were able to break through what is known in TRIZ as a functional conflict: significantly decreasing noise while concomitantly maximizing DTCD.

What this does is provide the right performance attributes in the right "manner" at the "right place": a 3-pronged approach that maximizes each functionality where it is most needed:

1) XC PCs: --> maximal current and DTCD for PDs
2) NR PDs: "incoming NR" with maximal AC current distribution to components
3) NR PCs: "Outgoing NR" from components, keeping "the pool of power" in the distribution system clean.

So...
1) The new XC power cords provide maximal current delivery and DTCD performance to the PD.
2) The PD distributes AC current to the system components while significantly lowering the overall noise floor "at the source."
3) The NR series of power cords can stop noise at the components' internal power supply's end from being reflected back out into the pool of current in the distribution system so that the "water in the pool" stays maximally clean.
Great post...
Old 05-08-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Great post...

I’ll second that. Phenomenal description and easy for non scientific folks, of which I am clearly one, to comprehend. I am definitely more at ease with my choice of an XC cable from the outlet to the Denali. I had been questioning whether or not I was missing something by not using NR from the outlet.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:33 PM

I've had a Triton V3 and Typhon QR feeding my system for several years now and have been very happy with the sound. With the release of the new Sigma XC cables I figured it was time to see if there was any life left in these veterans or whether the Denali was where to invest. Either way, I figured it would be a good thing to have the new Sigma XC for use with any new power distributor. I started by replacing my Sigma analog cord running to the Typhon QR with a Sigma XC. Wow! Yes definitely nice improvement. Well worth the investment for me. I noted across the board improvements from high to low. As Caelin has mentioned in past the power cord to the power distributor is critical. On that note I figured that the Sigma umbilical running from the Typhon QR to the Triton probably was another weak link and worth investigating an upgrade. I have just recently then been using a trial Sigma XC as an umbilical to the Triton. Holy smokes once again a truly shocking improvement - wow! Suddenly my system has opened up x10 - thunderous bass, pristine non fatiguing highs, improved resolution of fine details. Everything just sounds so much closer to live music. What an amazing and wonderful accomplishment by the Shunyata team.
I am also so happy to report, and frankly in amazement at what the veteran Triton v3 and Typhon QR are capable of when fed with these Sigma XCs. I'd say these are worth a consideration for those staying with the Triton and Typhon combination - there is a lot more these guys are capable of giving us -
Old 06-17-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMelby View Post
I've had a Triton V3 and Typhon QR feeding my system for several years now and have been very happy with the sound. With the release of the new Sigma XC cables I figured it was time to see if there was any life left in these veterans or whether the Denali was where to invest. Either way, I figured it would be a good thing to have the new Sigma XC for use with any new power distributor. I started by replacing my Sigma analog cord running to the Typhon QR with a Sigma XC. Wow! Yes definitely nice improvement. Well worth the investment for me. I noted across the board improvements from high to low. As Caelin has mentioned in past the power cord to the power distributor is critical. On that note I figured that the Sigma umbilical running from the Typhon QR to the Triton probably was another weak link and worth investigating an upgrade. I have just recently then been using a trial Sigma XC as an umbilical to the Triton. Holy smokes once again a truly shocking improvement - wow! Suddenly my system has opened up x10 - thunderous bass, pristine non fatiguing highs, improved resolution of fine details. Everything just sounds so much closer to live music. What an amazing and wonderful accomplishment by the Shunyata team.
I am also so happy to report, and frankly in amazement at what the veteran Triton v3 and Typhon QR are capable of when fed with these Sigma XCs. I'd say these are worth a consideration for those staying with the Triton and Typhon combination - there is a lot more these guys are capable of giving us -
Very glad to hear all this about the Tv3 and TQR,...
Old 06-17-2020, 09:34 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMelby View Post

Thanks, Dr. Melby! Great info...glad you're enjoying your TV3 and Typhon QR with these new PCs.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:17 AM

Thanks DMelby for validating the profound improvement of the Sigma XC for both the Tv3 and the umbilical for the Typhon QR.

I would add that the Scale really went up with my system based on my two Tv3’s getting XC and alpha v2 NR for streamer components.

Last edited by crion2; 06-20-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:45 AM

how fascinating to see you, Puma Cat, describing the purpose of an expensive PC for a component as being to "keeping "the pool of power" in the distribution system clean".

i know we have discussed this idea which i believe originates with Shunyata previously but it is the first time I have seen it written like this. I wonder what % of people interested in stereo appreciate this. surely the vast majority (myself included unless prodded frankly) believe the PC is about providing clean power to the component.

i am further fascinated by your description of the "the pool of power". for whatever reason i became fascinated with my systems and tweaking it etc. and thru that noise management process and reading and forums etc. that is how i came to see my stereo. as a commons where the weakest link, no matter where, can pollute the whole. evidence of the benefit of this paradigm for me was the significant improvements in noise removal achieved by just removing SMPS from a stereo system. again no matter where.

the effect is represented by the maxim applied to digital front ends, to wit: "everything matters".
Old 07-07-2020, 05:24 AM

Hi all,

Been reading about the positive reviews on the SIGMA XC2 PC.

I currently have a Typhon QR - T3 in my system. Wall to QR with Sigma NR v1.

With regards to my system, i am in a happy place. The rest of my Power cables are Ansuz Diamond v1 to my Preamp (ARC ref6) , Stereo Amp and Phonos. As i feel that it is rather prohibitive to change multiple PC due to earlier investments. What would you do?

- Trade in the SIGMA v1 NR to v2 XC
- Get the Sigma XC and swop the PC out from the ansuz D1(no trade in) to Sigma v1 NR

As it is, this staying at home is making the itch to try to improve the system further.

Rest of my system is Vitus stereo power and Wilson Sasha2 and i focus more on the analog sources.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-07-2020, 07:27 AM

The Sigma XC is an excellent choice for the PD’s/Typhons.

Now in regards to your dilemma what to do with the sigma nr v1.
I’ll say this, do like me, do the deal as a tradein. Then you can decide once the XC arrives what to do with the NR V1, send it back or buy it for a fee.

I kept one Sigma HC and put it on my Venom EU7 for example. I did not keep any of my sigma digitals though.

In my system my preamp loves the Furutech NCF/DPS 4.1 for some reason. It sings and all is in balance. For my streamer sources the alpha v2’s works the best.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple88 View Post
Hi all,

Been reading about the positive reviews on the SIGMA XC2 PC.

I currently have a Typhon QR - T3 in my system. Wall to QR with Sigma NR v1.

With regards to my system, i am in a happy place. The rest of my Power cables are Ansuz Diamond v1 to my Preamp (ARC ref6) , Stereo Amp and Phonos. As i feel that it is rather prohibitive to change multiple PC due to earlier investments. What would you do?

- Trade in the SIGMA v1 NR to v2 XC
- Get the Sigma XC and swop the PC out from the ansuz D1(no trade in) to Sigma v1 NR

As it is, this staying at home is making the itch to try to improve the system further.

Rest of my system is Vitus stereo power and Wilson Sasha2 and i focus more on the analog sources.

Thanks in advance
I also have a Tv3 and TQR and am extremely happy with them iver 1.5 years at this point!

I would suggest moving to a SIGMA XC (new v2) to the wall and also a SIGMA XC-level umbilical between the units.

That is my plan here as well....