AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 10-24-2020, 06:05 PM

Default Shunyata Today and Tomorrow

Caelin and Grant: I have been’8 one of the biggest fans of Shunyata since my first purchase of a Black Mamba followed shortly by a Zitron Cobra that showed how terrific these PCs were. Moved up to Alpha HC and then let things sit

Now when reading AA there are so many PCs that not only is the path forward not clear but it seems that to spend reasonable money one has to compromise on the upgrade that the dollars spent gave so easily before.

Looking at the current line for the moment at least it seems that reality has set in and Shunyata will sell you that top sounding pc compared to others, but now it too sells for $10,000.00. Spend less but you will know that you are getting less than you want. Perhaps my perception is wrong but much of these posts seem concentrated in this area.

So what lies ahead and was everything old unworthy compared to today’s line

Regardless I think your work in the medical field is to be lauded especially by those of us who have had those “heart problems”

Jalanrolls
Old 10-24-2020, 09:38 PM

Or you can stay with what you have and live happy forever and ever thereafter. Why sweat it?

If (and only if) you are really curious, get an Alpha v2 NR, preferably borrow from dealer with no risk return, and try for yourself. Such cables is certainly NOT ten thousand bucks
Old 10-25-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
Or you can stay with what you have and live happy forever and ever thereafter. Why sweat it?

If (and only if) you are really curious, get an Alpha v2 NR, preferably borrow from dealer with no risk return, and try for yourself. Such cables is certainly NOT ten thousand bucks
Great feedback....+1 on Alpha V2 as the sweet spot in the line, all cable types!!!
Old 10-25-2020, 04:44 PM

I agree, up the Alpha HC with Alpha XC (power distributor) or any other component, Alpha v2 NR.

You will not regret it.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:14 PM

Let me know if you want to sell any Alpha HC cables.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:44 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanrolls View Post
Caelin and Grant: I have been’8 one of the biggest fans of Shunyata since my first purchase of a Black Mamba followed shortly by a Zitron Cobra that showed how terrific these PCs were. Moved up to Alpha HC and then let things sit

Now when reading AA there are so many PCs that not only is the path forward not clear but it seems that to spend reasonable money one has to compromise on the upgrade that the dollars spent gave so easily before.

Looking at the current line for the moment at least it seems that reality has set in and Shunyata will sell you that top sounding pc compared to others, but now it too sells for $10,000.00. Spend less but you will know that you are getting less than you want. Perhaps my perception is wrong but much of these posts seem concentrated in this area.

So what lies ahead and was everything old unworthy compared to today’s line

Regardless I think your work in the medical field is to be lauded especially by those of us who have had those “heart problems”

Jalanrolls
I think your perception is...shall we say, not "accurate"? I've had the opportunity to audition the new v2 series of power cables, and they all provide superb performance and audio quality, within their respective price class(es).

I've used the new Delta NR V2 PC for my DAC for some time, and have been very happy with it and...it outperforms the Alpha NR v1.

Here's an analogy I've developed that I've found to be quite accurate in describing the various classes of performance:

Omega QR = Porsche 919 EVO Hybrid
Simga V2 = Porsche GT2 RS
Alpha V2 = Porsche GT3
Delta V2 = Porsche 992 (current "911" model)

The new Sigma NRv2 is just below the SOTA Omega QR in terms of absolute "power", yet effectively provide state of the art performance for approximately 1/3 the price. The Sigma XC and NRv2 are what I'm using for my Everest 8000 and power amp, respectively, because those devices need "ponies", aka horsepower. I simply don't need Omega-class horsepower in my application. The Omega is like driving the Porsche 919 EVO Hybrid at Laguna Seca, it's too tight; the Nurburgring Nordschleife is the right setting/circuit for Omega QR, a place where you can really use the monstrous horsepower. I prefer the Sigma in my system and room because the Omega, amazing as it is, provides more horsepower than is optimal for my amp, in my room.

The new Alpha NR v2s and XCs are, as Mark (SCAudiophile) mentioned, a real sweet spot in the line and outperform the previous Sigma NR v1. I could have used Sigma NR v2 for my new First Sound's dual mono external power supplies, but I settled on Alpha XC* because it has a beautifull, articulated and layered quality that is musical and very engaging. While Sigma will provide more absolute performance, I don't simply need that much horsepower for my preamp in my specific room. Alpha V2 hits the sweet spot perfectly. Do NOT dismiss this PC because it is not at the Sigma or Omega price class, as Mark said, it is amazing and will suprise you. On a beautiful, twisty road along the backside of the Napa Valley, the Porsche GT3 is the sweet spot for power.

* – My First Sound preamp actually uses the same Shunyata Research NR modules in its dual mono external power supplies that the PCs use, so I don't need an "NR" PC for powering them, hence the XC's are perfect solution in this application. You can see them if you look closely at the two "pods" that are to the left of the upper and lower corners of the transformer. That's also Shunyata Research wire in the power supply as well.

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-27-2020 at 02:03 PM.