AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
Do I want to be locked in, equipment-purchase-, software-availability-, and performance-capability-wise, to a proprietary system, the need for which may be rendered irrelevant tomorrow, given the pace of technological advancement? The answer is obviously a your-mileage-may-vary, to-each-his/her-own. In my case, it's "no", even if MQA is all its promoters say it is.

Well said.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-11-2018, 08:26 AM

To those who have shut the door on MQA without trying it I say too bad you are missing out on streaming hi res music and I’m just hearing the first unfold with the Aurender software upgrade. To me a one time fee of $50 is a bargain to have such as vast music library of MQA music. There will always be changes in technology. My mac book pro has no usb 1 ports , no SD card slot. That’s ok my camera has Bluetooth to transfer pictures ie take your head out of the sand , change is a coming
Old 03-11-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
To those who have shut the door on MQA without trying it I say too bad you are missing out ... take your head out of the sand , change is a coming
I think it's misguided to suggest that those who are reluctant to be an early adopter of new technology somehow have their "head in the sand." Indeed, the opposite argument could be made - that those who carefully consider how and when to use new technology are the ones using their heads. I've seen lots of highly promoted audio "advancements" sputter and fizzle in the marketplace before passing into history as a footnote. Remember CX encoded LPs? The Elcaset? SQ, QS and CD-4? I avoided them all, and saved $$$$ in the process that was put elsewhere into my system.

I remain skeptical of MQA and it hasn't hurt my music enjoyment level even one tiny bit. It's great that it's providing such satisfaction for some listeners, and I thank them for helping this technology mature and find its place - if it has one - in the marketplace.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:54 AM

Dan,
Sorry I missed your earlier post. Hughes has data caps that make it harder to manage than I'd like. For the time being anyway I will enjoy streaming MQA - I am currently using a Mytec Brooklyn + and it sounds very very good.
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-11-2018, 10:15 AM

Hmm, maybe I need to change my profile pic...

I'd be interested in hearing what specific differences (tonality, frequency extension, dynamics, transient response, imaging, soundstaging, etc.) MQA owners hear across a broad spectrum of genres between the non-decoded and decoded versions of the same release, i.e., one issued from the same recording "master", whatever its generation.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
The copy protection issue is BS. The lack of content with already over 10,000 titles is BS Anyone with ears knows the quality is on par with other hi-rez formats. And so far for me it has been free. So all the chicken littles can stop screaming the sky is falling.

I think it funny that the audiophile community thinks they will have any say whether MQA is used going forward. We are little ticks on the elephant.
Exactly. Way too much panic out there. I really don't understand why this "choice" is a bad thing.
MQA sounds great through my PS Audio DS Jr. Adding "Master" albums through Tidal and into my Roon library has opened up a really nice option. My "choice" and I'm happy with that. Oh, and BTW - sounds really great too. (Isn't that what it's all about?)
Carry on and enjoy with eyes closed.
Power Distribution: Shunyata Denali
Amps: McIntosh MC2301
Pre-Amp: McIntosh C1100
Tubes: Genalex Gold Lions
Digital: PS Audio DirectStream Junior: Roon Ready
Signal Cables: WireWorld XLR's
Speakers: Canton Reference K3's
Speaker cables: WW Silver Eclipse 7
Analog: Dr. Feickert Woodpecker+Kuzma 4-point+Miyajima ETR-MONO SUT & Miyajima Infinity (Mono) // Hana Umami (Stereo)
Tweaks: Shakti Stones, GIK Panels, IsoAcoustics Feet
Old 03-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventoux View Post
Exactly. Way too much panic out there. I really don't understand why this "choice" is a bad thing.

MQA sounds great through my PS Audio DS Jr. Adding "Master" albums through Tidal and into my Roon library has opened up a really nice option. My "choice" and I'm happy with that. Oh, and BTW - sounds really great too. (Isn't that what it's all about?)

Carry on and enjoy with eyes closed.

^^^ Agree.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 03-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Default MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
While catchy and cute, this of course does not apply here. The idea of facing a fork in the road is a false choice and at best wishful thinking for those promoting MQA. The “road” is already “well paved”; open, free, mature and robust (file formats), this highway already allows broad creativity and innovation without major licensing impediments especially for smaller companies, and has enough lanes to accommodate the needs of music lovers whether they’re happy with MP3 or desire huge DSD256 downloads. In my opinion, MQA is an optional turn-off at this point with little content (28) leading down an unpromising dimly lit narrow path with toll booths along the way. Should we bother with this detour?

Ultimately, remember that the music industry can be wrong, audiophile magazines can be wrong, as an individual, I can be wrong (and my wife says I often am!). But the consumer is always right – which is exactly why “we” call the shots. Let’s see how this goes...

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...cautions-r701/

Thank you for posting! When I first listened to MQA recordings via Tidal I really liked the sound I heard compared to my own non-MQA CDs.

But after I dug deeper I realized that the mqa tracks that I sampled had been remastered so it was not an apples to apples comparison.

I was one of the 83 who participated in the Internet Blind Test referenced in Archimago’s article. In that test one could compare MQA tracks versus hi Rez version. I did not hear an earth shattering difference between the two. Although more than 50% I picked the hi-Rez version, it was not statistically significant.

Last edited by nicoff; 03-11-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventoux View Post
I really don't understand why this "choice" is a bad thing.
The concern is that the long game for MQA is to eliminate choice. If it goes according to plan, there may ultimately be no choice if all the studios “master” using MQA and you have to have an MQA licensed DAC to hear the full resolution of the recording.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-11-2018, 12:39 PM

Default MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Anyone can do the blind test referenced to in the article. Here is the link.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/0...-decoding.html

After you have done the test, you can go to Archimago’s blog (from September 2017 I believe) and see what you actually preferred from the blind test.

Last edited by nicoff; 03-11-2018 at 12:57 PM.