AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Hi gents,
Some of you I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in person. Others, I feel like I’ve gotten to know you a little bit over the years on AA.

No one’s mind will be changed, no one’s position will be validated. You are all better than this. Time to put on some tunes and chill.

Tom
I totally agree with you. That's my whole point. It is worse than useless to take your piece of gear or gear that you have heard that you happen to really really like, and state how much better you like it than Mac.

But go ahead and do it and you will be called on it, I assure you by me.

Unless Ivan kicks me off the site or censures me. But I feel I have been respectful to all involved and I might add you all to me.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:43 PM
Go Dawgs

I don’t know....You know sometimes I think AA needs some more feisty threads . (Ivan don’t kill me! ). What we don’t want is to have it turn into Audio Asylum....My God......it’s a train wreck over on that site.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 02-17-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I don’t know....You know sometimes I think AA needs some more feisty threads . (Ivan don’t kill me! ). What we don’t want is to have it turn into Audio Asylum....My God......it’s a train wreck over on that site.

- Buck
Ivan and the moderators here seem to be in control, if things truly get nasty they step in. I personally don't feel like it's been nasty.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:49 PM

Charles:
As a well travelled audiophile, I do not take offense at others' suggestions--especially those who appear to be knowledgeable---that is why I searched out and listened to Magicos at least a dozen times in about a dozen different systems at audio shows and showrooms to see if I could connect with what respectable audio experts and hobbyists were saying about Magico. I was willing to move from Wilson if I found something that sounded better to me. I could not connect with Magico in any system in which I heard them--although I did understand what others saw in them. Just not my taste.
I listened to virtually every cd player I could , many in my system, before purchasing my Spectral cd player including DCS, MSB, EMM Labs, Esoteric. I do this with almost all my purchases.
It seems that you do not even want to hear anything but McIntosh. You have that right. But, you therefore should not accuse others who have compared Mac to other brands and prefer others as anti-Mac or pro-something else. I can assure you, I call it as I hear it and appreciate the fact that others in this thread also hear what I hear .
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 02-18-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
Charles:
As a well travelled audiophile, I do not take offense at others' suggestions--especially those who appear to be knowledgeable---that is why I searched out and listened to Magicos at least a dozen times in about a dozen different systems at audio shows and showrooms to see if I could connect with what respectable audio experts and hobbyists were saying about Magico. I was willing to move from Wilson if I found something that sounded better to me. I could not connect with Magico in any system in which I heard them--although I did understand what others saw in them. Just not my taste.
I listened to virtually every cd player I could , many in my system, before purchasing my Spectral cd player including DCS, MSB, EMM Labs, Esoteric. I do this with almost all my purchases.
It seems that you do not even want to hear anything but McIntosh. You have that right. But, you therefore should not accuse others who have compared Mac to other brands and prefer others as anti-Mac or pro-something else. I can assure you, I call it as I hear it and appreciate the fact that others in this thread also hear what I hear .
I am sure you do. And I do to--call it as I see/hear it. I've heard a lot of gear and seen a lot of gear thank you very much and I am very impressed by your testimony about all the gear you have heard and your travails with Magico and listening to virtually every piece of gear etc. I'm not accusing anyone of anything and I am not questioning anyone's veracity.

You are coining words like "anti-Mac" not me. You are an AR aficionado and exhibiting all the characteristics of one. I'm also extremely impressed by all your travels. A dozen showrooms, at least a dozen times on Magico alone. I wish I had all the time you have. And your acquisition of all that super expensive gear. You are able treat this gear like it's marbles or tiddlywinks. You've listed DCS, MSB, EMM Labs, Esoteric, Magico, many of which you actually had in your system for long term auditions. I'm sure you purchased most or all of it. Wow!!

Being well healed and traveled I know you understand that whenever you put a piece in your system it ceases to be a store demo. It becomes a used piece because it has left the store. I'm sure therefore you purchased all this equipment. I know you have a lot of money and a dealer would respect that a lot.

If the dealer does not disclose that it has been in your home he is being dishonest to the customer who eventually purchases it. I'm suspect of demos anyway and would never have one that had been "passed around".

I am very impressed by your acquisition capabilities and auditioning capabilities. You are a true audiophile and AR aficionado.

Last edited by Charles; 02-18-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:14 AM

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 02-18-2020, 05:31 PM

Just for the record I believe the definition of a dealer demo with all the manufacturers I am familiar with states that the dealer demos in store or can use it for home demos on a specific program/timeline as it returns to them. If they sell it then it becomes used.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:57 PM

Charles:
Your sarcasm is not appreciated.
I have never said I tried nor have I ever tried a NEW piece of equipment in my system. The only new piece of equipment that has ever been in my system is one that I have bought and paid for. As I clearly stated, Magicos have never been in my system. Also, DCS has never been in my system but I have heard the DCS sound many times in many others. All of the other items listed in my prior post have been in my system. All of the components were short term loans from audiophile friends who are interested in how their gear will sound in my system (Esoteric, Emm Labs)--I have lent them my gear as well to hear in their systems---usually easily transported gear like preamps or cd players.
Other gear were on short term loans from dealers. Those components are always fully broken in and lent to me for no more than 3 days. Dealers that I have a long term relationship with lend out demos. I return them in the condition in which I received them and they continue to be demos--not used equipment.
So---save the defensive sarcasm. Enjoy your system but relax if someone likes something more than yours and relates why that is in a relevant thread. It is nothing against you and you have no need to defend yourself or call others "AR aficionados". As I indicated--and I'm sure you don't believe, I used to be all Mac. Before that, I was all Marantz. Now I am all ARC. But if I hear something I like better-- I will be all that. You on the other hand will always be all Mac. I know that because you will never hear anything else. In a way--I envy your lack of curiosity. It is a sure cure for audio nervosa.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 02-18-2020, 11:05 PM

Two Simple questions Charles.

Do you accept that someone could prefer a product other than Mac

If yes, than are you ok with that person describing how they reached that conclusion

I won’t say the brands but my experience over many years has put Mac in the consideration set for amps, just outside for preamps and way outside for digital. None of my choices were based on reviews....all were based on in store appointments and home demos...typically over long weekend and sometimes multiple weekends based on dealer needs. Everyone here is likely capable of making their own decision...and there will be differences of opinion. Someone preferring another brand does not invalidate someone’s decision to prefer Mac. You seem to read it that way....which IMO comes off as defensive
Old 02-19-2020, 02:43 AM

I still don’t get what the deal is with a dealer allowing for home demos. A consumer of AA caliber would not waste a dealer’s time if they weren’t serious.

If I’m not ready to commit to a dealer, I don’t waste their time by taking their unit home.

If I take something home, it’s already because it’s understood I’m purchasing from the dealer if I like it.
Closed Thread