AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Playing the wait and see game before investing any money into Roon devices. Tidal is supposedly in deep doo-doo financially. If Tidal goes down, Roon may or may not survive making all the Roon accessories pointless. It works just fine from my PC for the time being.
Serge
Roon doesn't require Tidal, it just integrates it better than all the other offerings. I am sure that Roon would find another streaming service to integrate. Just hoping it would be at least CD quality like Tidal.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:40 PM

About Tidal integration, I like it even more than Tidal's own applications. Another advantage is I can play Tidal using gears which do not support Tidal but work as Roon endpoints, such as Oppo 205.

Having said that, to me Roon's Tidal integration is not a must have feature at all. As long as Roon can manage my large local library, it's good enough. My only concern at this moment is: if Roon was out of business, my Roon core would stop working because it needs to log on to Roon...

Last edited by SAPHANA; 02-19-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Serge
Roon doesn't require Tidal, it just integrates it better than all the other offerings. I am sure that Roon would find another streaming service to integrate. Just hoping it would be at least CD quality like Tidal.
That is not a fact Jim. I hope that would be the outcome worse come to worst and I certainly hope Tidal pulls through but as to whether Roon will partner up with another streaming service, we can only speculate at this point but it is not a fact.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
That is not a fact Jim. I hope that would be the outcome worse come to worst and I certainly hope Tidal pulls through but as to whether Roon will partner up with another streaming service, we can only speculate at this point but it is not a fact.
Of course, but why would they not? It's a major selling point for roon. Roon knows people spent a lot on their product with streaming as part of their product. They're just going to abandon it? Possibly, but I don't they'll last long themselves.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Of course, but why would they not? It's a major selling point for roon. Roon knows people spent a lot on their product with streaming as part of their product. They're just going to abandon it? Possibly, but I don't they'll last long themselves.
Without knowing the specifics of how easy or hard it is to integrate with other streaming services, how much effort needs to go into coding, manpower, resources, etc, it is impossible to say. Or if the other streaming services even want to play ball with Roon. I hope they do because I love Roon and Tidal

Last edited by PHC1; 02-20-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Without knowing the specifics of how easy or hard it is to integrate with other streaming services, how much effort needs to go into coding, manpower, resources, etc, it is impossible to say. Or if the other streaming services even want to play ball with Roon. I hope they do because I love Roon and Tidal
It shouldn't be very hard to code. I'm a software developer myself. Although I don't know specifics about the tidal API, it likely doesn't differ greatly from other streaming services. If implemented correctly on the roon side (I.e abstracted via interfaces) , plugging other providers in should be reasonably easy.

Actually just did a quick search, tidal doesn't publish their api but several people have ported wrappers to various languages. Spotify does publish theirs with lots of information and examples.

In other words, it looks like it's not really hard at all.

Last edited by 2fastdriving; 02-20-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
It shouldn't be very hard to code. I'm a software developer myself. Although I don't know specifics about the tidal API, it likely doesn't differ greatly from other streaming services. If implemented correctly on the roon side (I.e abstracted via interfaces) , plugging other providers in should be reasonably easy.

Actually just did a quick search, tidal doesn't publish their api but several people have ported wrappers to various languages. Spotify does publish theirs with lots of information and examples.

In other words, it looks like it's not really hard at all.
I've seen some discussions online that so far Roon had no luck aligning with Spotify that is what made me think it's not that simple. Let's hope it all works out.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I've seen some discussions online that so far Roon had no luck aligning with Spotify that is what made me think it's not that simple. Let's hope it all works out.
From what I understand, it's not the actual API integration which should be straight forward'ish. From what I read, they require Tidal to export/send, in a certain format, a significant amount of metadata associated with the tracks and have certain agreements for new releases to get the metadata earlier (not sure how much early). They said that many services are not willing to do this which makes sense.

Fwiw, I ended up cancelling Tidal as I found that Roon's features of integration (discoverability, insights into my library, etc...) are not as compelling as other music services such as Amazon, Apple and Google. Simply put, Tidal failed to learn what I like; It keep pushing the same stuff that I am never going to listen to whereas Google/Amazon music services provided stations and recommendations that were more spot on to my preferences based on my listening habits.

Of course, non-tidal services are not high def but if I like the music/artist, I buy it.

YMMV
Work Audeze LCD-XC, Audeze Deckard
Old 02-20-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfaulkner View Post
From what I understand, it's not the actual API integration which should be straight forward'ish. From what I read, they require Tidal to export/send, in a certain format, a significant amount of metadata associated with the tracks and have certain agreements for new releases to get the metadata earlier (not sure how much early). They said that many services are not willing to do this which makes sense.

Fwiw, I ended up cancelling Tidal as I found that Roon's features of integration (discoverability, insights into my library, etc...) are not as compelling as other music services such as Amazon, Apple and Google. Simply put, Tidal failed to learn what I like; It keep pushing the same stuff that I am never going to listen to whereas Google/Amazon music services provided stations and recommendations that were more spot on to my preferences based on my listening habits.

Of course, non-tidal services are not high def but if I like the music/artist, I buy it.

YMMV
Oh, OK, I haven't read any roon forums about it, but what you are saying makes sense. I'm pretty confident they'll be able to integrate eventually.

For now I'm very happy with the roon/tidal integration and my i7 nuc. Great setup.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfaulkner View Post

YMMV
I use the search feature in Roon/Tidal to find what I am looking for. I've never even paid attention to suggestions and wouldn't know where to find them.