AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 02-19-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
I do not own the SP3 but likely will in near future. I imagine the new USB board would only be helpful to you if you want to hook up a USB input directly to the SP3 and play DSD files you have downloaded to your computer or server. I don’t have any knowledge regarding PCM sample rate compatibility on the new usb board.
I'm pretty sure the Ayre DX-5 DSD can output DSD via HDMI. DSD or LPCM seems to be a menu choice, but what advantage would there be to DSD over 24/192 LPCM?

db
Old 02-19-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
I do not own the SP3 but likely will in near future. I imagine the new USB board would only be helpful to you if you want to hook up a USB input directly to the SP3 and play DSD files you have downloaded to your computer or server. I don’t have any knowledge regarding PCM sample rate compatibility on the new usb board.
I am not James, but my personal opinion is that you will benefit from the upgrade in that you will be using the D/A converter of your SP3 rather that that of the Ayre DX-5. I read a review comparing its D/A converter to the Classe CT-SSP and the Classe sounded better having more weight in the bass frequencies than the Ayre. Since the Bryston SP3 has already been heralded a sounding significantly better than the Classe, it stands to reason your sound will improve with the USB upgrade assuming you are interested in hi res and DSD.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I am not James, but my personal opinion is that you will benefit from the upgrade in that you will be using the D/A converter of your SP3 rather that that of the Ayre DX-5. I read a review comparing its D/A converter to the Classe CT-SSP and the Classe sounded better having more weight in the bass frequencies than the Ayre. Since the Bryston SP3 has already been heralded a sounding significantly better than the Classe, it stands to reason your sound will improve with the USB upgrade assuming you are interested in hi res and DSD.
Actually, it's a DX-5 DSD that supposedly produces superior sound to the non-DSD, but when I use the digital HDMI input I am using the SP3 DAC process, and I always use HDMI for surround SACDs and BDs.

db
Old 02-21-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Actually, it's a DX-5 DSD that supposedly produces superior sound to the non-DSD, but when I use the digital HDMI input I am using the SP3 DAC process, and I always use HDMI for surround SACDs and BDs.

db
My comments were largely based on the following article:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...al-disc-player

But, on a more personal level, I tried to use a Sony blu-ray player, the Sony BDP-S5000ES to play the HD codecs from both Dolby and DTS using the analog outs on the Sony to the analog pass through on my Arcam AV9. The bass was never quite right.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:06 PM

Default SP# Tape loop: Pass .1 channel?

I'm looking at a room correction device that will correct subwoofers and speakers up to about 5oo Hz. As my SP3 has multiple sources, i can't insert this between one source component, say my BDP1, and the SP3.

So, my question is if I put it in the tape loop, and select 2.1 output, will the tape loop, or the digital tape loop, include the subwoofer channel?

(The digital tape loop is labeled #5 in the illustration in the manual. I don't know if it passes a digital signal or not, but it's labeled digital tape recorder. It looks like standard RCA jacks.)

What I'm hoping is, I can insert this DSPeaker X4, into one or the other of the loops, and EQ the front speakers and subwoofers for all input sources.

Any one who can help, thanks.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I'm looking at a room correction device that will correct subwoofers and speakers up to about 5oo Hz. As my SP3 has multiple sources, i can't insert this between one source component, say my BDP1, and the SP3.

So, my question is if I put it in the tape loop, and select 2.1 output, will the tape loop, or the digital tape loop, include the subwoofer channel?

(The digital tape loop is labeled #5 in the illustration in the manual. I don't know if it passes a digital signal or not, but it's labeled digital tape recorder. It looks like standard RCA jacks.)

What I'm hoping is, I can insert this DSPeaker X4, into one or the other of the loops, and EQ the front speakers and subwoofers for all input sources.

Are you aware that there is a SP4 unit coming out soon that has room correction capabilities and the newest/latest digital technology and codecs? The new SP4 will do all you are trying to do.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 PM

My SP3 has become a switch board. I am now running most digital processing with other equipment and passing the analog signals to the SP3 for it to send to the amps. The SP3 has an amazing analog section.

However, the digital section of the SP3 is ancient (in the digital world). The new board and DAC is a good addition. It can do DSD and pass 4K, however, it has a very limited number of inputs.
All the other inputs still use the same 7 year plus (old) technology!

As I see it, the new board feels like a patch to add a few more years to a product that while possibly the best at its prime is way past that.

The SP4, on the other hand IS the real deal. Looking forward to that!
Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Are you aware that there is a SP4 unit coming out soon that has room correction capabilities and the newest/latest digital technology and codecs? The new SP4 will do all you are trying to do.
Thanks for this and your other response. I'm also looking at new speakers and a sub or two, which will already break my budget, so forking over for a new SP4 is probably not realistic.

I'm very happy with how my SP3sounds, but I'd like to add this DSPeaker X4 in such a way that it works with all inputs. If I can't, I just won't buy it. It's on order, and I have the option of not taking it. That would free up funds to buy a second JL fathom f112, which has good DSP built in. Plus, I already have the anti-mode 8033 sII, which does a pretty good job. The X4 works with speakers as well as subs, but it's useless if it only works with one input.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Wow! Do you think Moohhawk prints money?
Old 03-08-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Maybe Kal Rubinson can help you as he used an outboard EQ when he tested the SP3.