AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 02-18-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
RLF....Unfortunately it would seem that the REF75 is the only model from the line where physical head room is a problem. I would hazard a guess that we are looking at a number of component value changes to PSU and Bias, in order to optimise the Utilization of the KT150.
well, since you can already fit KT150's in the Ref75 with the cover on,
not sure why you couldn't upgrade it…there may be some clever way they can sink the sockets a bit to buy more physical room
Old 02-18-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
well, since you can already fit KT150's in the Ref75 with the cover on,
not sure why you couldn't upgrade it…there may be some clever way they can sink the sockets a bit to buy more physical room
Arises....I am sure that the 75 will be available within the SE program, my comment was based upon my understanding that KT150's stood a fraction too proud in order to run the amplifier with the hood in place ? My apologies if I have missinterperated this point.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
During my time with an GS I did find that the slight increase in available headroom over the REF150 manifest itself during demanding peak passages as a touch of additional grip and assurity to the CLX's.

It would be most welcome were the SE upgrade to impart a degree of the same in an Reference line amplifier.
Are we talking about ML CLX? I'm interested about your opinion of ARC with those speakers, I have a VT200mkII which in my opinion is doing a great job. It's nominally a 200W per channel and I slightly prefer 8 ohms output tabs.
Which amps have you tried and how did they do?
Old 02-18-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
Thanks Max. That is most appreciated. My dealer is closed today, but I will try to get more info from both them and ARC too. At the time that I bought my amp, I did ask about upgrades with the KT-150s, but told that nothing had been established yet so I took a chance and bought it.
My dealer answered my email this morning. It seems that Audio Research is being very tight lipped regarding the details however an upgrade will be available later this year and will run around $3,000 including KT150 tubes (for the Ref150). The upgrade price will include several parts upgrades but no specifics given. The new list price of the Ref150se will be $14,995 ($2,000 increase) which has been previously posted by Priaptor.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max17 View Post
My dealer answered my email this morning. It seems that Audio Research is being very tight lipped regarding the details however an upgrade will be available later this year and will run around $3,000 including KT150 tubes (for the Ref150). The upgrade price will include several parts upgrades but no specifics given. The new list price of the Ref150se will be $14,995 ($2,000 increase) which has been previously posted by Priaptor.
Thanks. Did your dealer mention which other Reference models other than the Ref 150 are included in the upgrade for current owners? Anything about Reference 75 being upgradable?

Last edited by RLF; 02-18-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 PM

I prefer the upgrade - save me the pain of the 600hrs of break-in again

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
Thanks. Did your dealer mention which other Reference models other than the Ref 150 are included in the upgrade for current owners? Anything about Reference 75 being upgradable?
Unfortunately he did not mention the other models. Per Priaptor's information the new Ref75se would be priced at $1,000 above current pricing. If this is the case I can't see there being any major structural changes made going from the Ref75 to the "se" version so I would expect the Ref75 to also be upgradeable imho.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max17 View Post
Unfortunately he did not mention the other models. Per Priaptor's information the new Ref75se would be priced at $1,000 above current pricing. If this is the case I can't see there being any major structural changes made going from the Ref75 to the "se" version so I would expect the Ref75 to also be upgradeable imho.
It is my understanding that the KT-150 does not fit in the Reference 75 with the tube cage installed. Therefore, the concern with upgrading current Ref 75 models might be a physical issue in height unless the board that the tubes sit on is lowered or some other physical change is made to the Ref 75 to accommodate the KT-150 when the "SE" is released.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:48 PM

The KT150s do fit now in the Ref75 so that should not be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 02-19-2015, 06:39 PM

The Ref 75 is now sold with KT150 and it seems to be the only change offered (except for the price, of course) !!!!!!!!