AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-01-2017, 10:15 AM

I just ordered a C2600 from my local dealer to mate with my MC452 driving Harbeth
M40.1 speakers. Once I get it burned in, I plan to do some tube rolling. I have about 25 years of experience with tube preamps including a CJ PV11, Audible Illusions M3 and M3A, CAT SL1 Ultimate, Ray Samuels A10 and a Van Alstine FET Valve CF. What I'm unclear on is the tube allocation in the C2600. I read an on-line review that stated that two
12AX7 are in the MM stage, and two 12AX7 are used in the MC stage, and that leaves
one 12AX7 and one 12AT7 used in the line stage. Is this correct? I've also read good things about the re-issued Gold Lion tubes for the line stage. Are the Gold Lion tubes also very good in the MM and MC phono stages. I play vinyl through my fully upgraded Linn LP12 with Radikal power supply, Keel sub-chassis, Ekos SE arm and low output (about .25mv/V) Akiva MC cartridge. The phono stage performance of the 2600 is very important to me. I would appreciate some insight on using the reissued Gold Lions tubes
vs other NOS tubes in the phono stage of the 2600. BTW, this is my first post on AA. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chericelise View Post
I guess u are right.
Thanks
I had the same problem with a pioneer SACD player. The internal converter on that esoteric is probably pretty good and the route I would go. Just need another expensive cable now.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatsui324 View Post
I just ordered a C2600 from my local dealer to mate with my MC452 driving Harbeth
M40.1 speakers.
Great buy with the c2600, I've been doing a lot of comparisons of the new Mac preamps and I feel this is the one to own. It's very smooth.

Last edited by robd2; 11-01-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Missed the TT info
Old 11-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
I just ordered a C2600 from my local dealer to mate with my MC452 driving Harbeth M40.1 speakers. Once I get it burned in, I plan to do some tube rolling. I read an on-line review that stated that two
12AX7 are in the MM stage, and two 12AX7 are used in the MC stage, and that leaves one 12AX7 and one 12AT7 used in the line stage. Is this correct?
Welcome to AA.

That's correct
2 ea 12AX7's in MM
2 ea 12AX7's in MC
1 ea 12AX7 in line stage
1 ea 12AT7 in line stage

General consensus amongst owners of McIntosh tube amp and preamps is the benefits of the Gold Lion reissues are quite remarkable -- more so in the amps but carries over to the preamps too.

Better dynamics, smoother mid-range, improved definition on the highs, lower noise floor, and an increase in the soundstage/imaging are some of the reports often written.

I have yet to read any negatively on the Gold Lion reissues -- there are probably some that preferred a NOS Telefunken or Siemens 12v tube over the GL's; but, nothing that alluded to them being junk or money wasted.

As a new visitor to AA; as an annual subscriber for $25 you could benefit from the AA Marketplace in which NEW tubes are sold besides cables, amps, tweaks, etc.

How to become a member?
https://www.audioaficionado.org/payments.php

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:39 PM

Default Rare That Sony Would Allow DSD Out of the CD Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2 View Post
Some (all?) players won't output SACD via digital because of copywright on the music, I think... Maybe stick with the DAC in your Esoteric.
I think you are correct, as I have a PS Audio DirectStream DAC and recently purchased their DirectStream transport, and Paul from PS Audio notes that they had to get special permission from Sony, where the DAC sends out a serial number, the transport does the same, they get paired and from that point on DSD can be sent out the I2S port to the DAC. My DAC had to have its digital board replaced, as it was not broadcasting its serial number, in that case the transport would "down convert" the DSD to PCM. I think this was done to be compliant with Sony's copyright requirements. Got the DAC repaired and now it shows DSD when I'm playing an SACD on the transport.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 11-01-2017, 10:43 PM

Default Thumbs Up with the Gold Lions

Quote:
M40.1 speakers. Once I get it burned in, I plan to do some tube rolling. I have about 25 years of experience with tube preamps including a CJ PV11, Audible Illusions M3 and M3A, CAT SL1 Ultimate, Ray Samuels A10 and a Van Alstine FET Valve CF. What I'm unclear on is the tube allocation in the C2600. I read an on-line review that stated that two
12AX7 are in the MM stage, and two 12AX7 are used in the MC stage, and that leaves
one 12AX7 and one 12AT7 used in the line stage. Is this correct? I've also read good things about the re-issued Gold Lion tubes for the line stage. Are the Gold Lion tubes also very good in the MM and MC phono stages. I play vinyl through my fully upgraded Linn LP12 with Radikal power supply, Keel sub-chassis, Ekos SE arm and low output (about .25mv/V) Akiva MC cartridge. The phono stage performance of the 2600 is very important to me. I would appreciate some insight on using the reissued Gold Lions tubes
vs other NOS tubes in the phono stage of the 2600. BTW, this is my first post on AA. Thanks in advance.
I replaced the stock tubes in my C2500 with Gold Lions and immediately the sound was more "musical". After around 100 hours, they sounded even better!

I am jealous. Always wanted to hear the Harbeth's, my local dealer didn't have the 40's...driven by an MD452, they must sound awesome!
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 11-02-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr1953 View Post
I replaced the stock tubes in my C2500 with Gold Lions and immediately the sound was more "musical". After around 100 hours, they sounded even better!

I am jealous. Always wanted to hear the Harbeth's, my local dealer didn't have the 40's...driven by an MD452, they must sound awesome!
Thanks for the feedback. Yes the 452 and big Harbeths sound great. I've had
my 452 for about 4 years and I still love it. I've heard setups at Axpona that cost several times more than mine but I didn't hear any that made me want to upgrade.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:38 AM

Hi guys, I might get some bias replies but I still need to know what are your thoughts.
Currently Iam using the C2600 preamp and had been on the look out for a used MC 452.
and now there is a MC 452 and a Pass Labs 350.5 for sale at a very similar price being 350.5 slightly cheaper. I am using B&W 805D3 speakers.
What would be a better amp to match? or value for money?
Let's here from u
Old 11-29-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Hi guys, I might get some bias replies but I still need to know what are your thoughts.
Currently Iam using the C2600 preamp and had been on the look out for a used MC 452.
and now there is a MC 452 and a Pass Labs 350.5 for sale at a very similar price being 350.5 slightly cheaper. I am using B&W 805D3 speakers.
Let's here from u
This will be a fun one. Good choices. What are you using for an amp right now? I'm just wondering if you need that kind of power with the 805s. Maybe better off investing in a powered sub?
Old 11-29-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Let's here from u

Both are great products, if you can have an audition at a nearby pass lab dealer with your speakers, just let your ears make the decision.