AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 06-30-2017, 10:46 AM

Yes very small. Maybe that's why I give them a pass at times. I will say that any interaction I've had with them directly has been outstanding. They just spent nearly an hour of their time with me on the phone walking me through a set up of my DAC. My dealer isn't digital ready quite yet, lol...he's getting there quickly, so we called Ayre together (I went to dealer first and HE took me to Ayre when he was unable to figure it out). They worked with me and we figured out it was MY network that needed a tweek and they fixed the set up eventually.

I found them most helpful and they cared and had total ownership. Great bunch who are being taxed a bit by their own success I bet. That said, they are hiring, but will only hire the best and not just anyone in order to get components out the door etc... I used to give Krell a bit of a pass many years ago when they opened up as they were local and I got the know some of them.

At least our components aren't devalued like some other top end gear, lol. 7 year life cycles with low cost upgrades surely make them semi unique in today's market.

Based on this thread is sure seems like they are trying like heck to fix things and make us happy. I applaud that as I often look to the bright side of things. That's just me and now that Alex is gone, I know no one at Ayre personally.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:06 PM

I ordered my VX-5 over two months ago and (with a big hand from my dealer - on a Sunday) hooked it up tonight. Worth the wait - that's for sure! They must be seriously backlogged but, that's a good thing.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:36 PM

Well after a few weeks, I am sure everything is working perfectly and I'm happy with the sound. After reading your rave reviews (of Ayre service) I was under the impression that the turn around time for an upgrade in the States was about a week....at least that is the impression I got, and a repair probably less than 2 weeks. I guess I made the wrong assumptions, so my expectations were very high, and I was disappointed at the time it took to upgrade and then repair the problem. In total 6-7 months, which I think by any standards is a bit long.
To their credit they fixed the problem even though it was my fault for using NetGear cables for Ayre link. I suppose when I was told "will check and send you an update tomorrow" was followed by silence for 10 days .... until I asked for the update. That made me think the delays were coming from the factory and not my local dealer.
Overall I'm and Ayre fan and love the product and the sound...and I've already forgotten about my frustrations...just enjoying the music. Thanks for your interest and suggestions.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:23 AM

I personally don't care one way or the other if folks like or hate Ayre. I honestly have no skin in the game and now that Alex is gone (some didn't like him and I understand how different personalities can happen) I don't even know anyone there. I do know that I have had so many top amps/DAC's in my system to try out and none have beaten Ayre. Some sound as good and mostly in different ways, but I can't afford any of those as they are at least twice the cost of the Ayre. Ayre has subtleties that others most often lack.

They are the only amps I've used (not all of the amps have been in and out of my system, lol) that are neither tube, nor SS and that's the highest praise I can have possibly. They just sound correct and true to what I'm feeding them. Since upgrading to the AQ Horizon (WEL) balanced interconnects, it's taken them to levels I have not heard in my house ever. I can't wait for the new AQ power cords Garth has invented. I heard the prototypes and they blew me away (not going to be that costly either) and he said production cords are much better. That will be crazy, but Ayre takes great pride in building the mains filters into their amps and using the best Cardas cabling and connectors throughout. The devil seems to be in the details.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:36 AM

6-7 months is outrageous and is not acceptable in my opinion regardless of how good the product is.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
6-7 months is outrageous and is not acceptable in my opinion regardless of how good the product is.
In all fairness to Ayre, he nuked the MX-R Twenty twice this year via Ayrelink (which in all fairness to him is perhaps the dumbest implementation of that kind of protocol ever given the real risk of nuking your amp).

Currently, expect that anything that goes to Ayre you're not going to see back for a couple of months minimum.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post
I personally don't care one way or the other if folks like or hate Ayre....
No, this is simply false.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
In all fairness to Ayre, he nuked the MX-R Twenty twice this year via Ayrelink (which in all fairness to him is perhaps the dumbest implementation of that kind of protocol ever given the real risk of nuking your amp).
Recall I managed to do the exact same thing to my dealer's demos.

In fairness, Ayre does seem to pack Ayrelink cables in with each amp now.

I can't defend their design, but the documentation is awkward because the telecom industry has always required the connector "flip" on the end, but as newer telephones are no longer polarity-sensitive, some manufacturers no longer do the flip, so what is being sold as a "telephone cable" may not necessarily meet standards any longer.

Still shouldn't fry your amp's brains though.

AyreLink cable connector flip required
Old 07-26-2017, 09:16 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
No, this is simply false.
Thanks for telling me what I think. I should apologize to all for not telling the truth to myself and then posting it.

Let me go on record again and say I personally don't care if folks like or hate Ayre. I have owned a few amps in my life and right now I own Ayre. It fits my budget and for MY system to MY ears, it's the best sounding SS gear.

I'm very happy that you like your Pass amp Vark. I really am. They make nice gear. A bit rolled off when I've heard it, but nice stuff. I have been on record as why I would never buy it, but I get why others do and I'm happy for them.

My close friends has Burmeister and they make awesome sounding gear. Just out of my range. Love Dan's new amps and even like his newest ones that are lower priced. Very nice sounding right now. I can go on and on. As for Ayre, even with Alex gone, they helped me out setting up my QX5/20 when my dealer wasn't able to (he was over setting up my new Vandy Quatro's and we needed some help).

I hate hearing about someone blowing up their gear as it sucks, but it happens. There is a reason I purchase gear made in the US now. To me support means a lot. I'd get Aurender as I know how much they support their gear.

There you go.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:22 AM

Hi Ctsooner, just don't bite anymore, works best