AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-03-2018, 01:09 PM
joey_v joey_v is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,853
Default New Audioquest hyper-speaker cables are coming

I guess they found a way to beat my AQ Wels speaker cables... letís see what they come up with. Iím ready to pass out when they reveal the prices. Maybe Iíll have a hot coffee in hand so I burn myself too.
__________________
System 1: PS Audio P5 -> Emm Labs Dac2X DAC + TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Amp -> BW 802D3 ->
System 2: Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3 ->
System 3: Rotel RC1570 Pre -> Rotel RB1582 Amp -> Focal Kanta 2 ->
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:13 PM
rnrmf1971 rnrmf1971 is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: orlando
Posts: 794
Default

Where did you read or hear about them?

Are you certain they'll be priced more than the WEL cables?
__________________
Christian

STUFF:Mark Levinson No.52 pre-amp, Bricasti M28 amplifiers, Oppo BDP-105, Pioneer CT-43, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC's and speaker cables, Furutech Nanoflux + Nanoflux NCF power cables, Shunyata Triton V3 +Typhon w/ Sigma HC power cable, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-2018, 05:47 PM
joey_v joey_v is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
Where did you read or hear about them?

Are you certain they'll be priced more than the WEL cables?
Thatís just my prediction given the pricing for recent Storm series power cords.
__________________
System 1: PS Audio P5 -> Emm Labs Dac2X DAC + TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Amp -> BW 802D3 ->
System 2: Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3 ->
System 3: Rotel RC1570 Pre -> Rotel RB1582 Amp -> Focal Kanta 2 ->
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:57 PM
mulveling mulveling is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 450
Default

I don't think the storm series are really priced much higher than the older line, if you look at metal quality/content. I mean if we speculate that the Dragon has at least as much (or very close to as much) PSS silver as an old WEL NRG, and adds the extra metal in as PSC+ copper, its pricing is basically in line (looking at their per-ft pricing formulas from the old PDF). Unfortunately they haven't published wire gauges on the new series, so of course this is speculation. But I can't imagine they'd put less total silver content in a 1m Dragon than a 1m WEL NRG. And look at the Hurricane -- it's priced pretty close to the NRG 1000 formula, if you factor in 2x the per-ft cost for double the PSC+ metal (again, speculating).

Now the question is whether they'll go even bigger than 9 AWG in the new speaker cables. But 9 AWG is already pretty ridiculous. By comparison, the old NRG series at 13 AWG was extremely undersized versus the competition.

The real problem for us working-class mortals is that killer used deals on the new cables lines will probably be extremely rare for a long while. I'm very happy with my collection, though. I'm especially fine with my double-Kilimanjaro biwire, 9 AWG PSS silver, on speakers.

Last edited by mulveling; 01-03-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 PM
joey_v joey_v is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,853
Default

I hear ya but thatís speculating there is more metal in the storm series.

I will be hard pressed to move from my wel speaker cables. An 8ft single biwire like mine? I ainít paying 30k for marginal improvement. I can create an entirely new stereo system for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
I don't think the storm series are really priced much higher than the older line, if you look at metal quality/content. I mean if we speculate that the Dragon has at least as much (or very close to as much) PSS silver as an old WEL NRG, and adds the extra metal in as PSC+ copper, its pricing is basically in line (looking at their per-ft pricing formulas from the old PDF). Unfortunately they haven't published wire gauges on the new series, so of course this is speculation. But I can't imagine they'd put less total silver content in a 1m Dragon than a 1m WEL NRG. And look at the Hurricane -- it's priced pretty close to the NRG 1000 formula, if you factor in 2x the per-ft cost for double the PSC+ metal (again, speculating).

Now the question is whether they'll go even bigger than 9 AWG in the new speaker cables. But 9 AWG is already pretty ridiculous. By comparison, the old NRG series at 13 AWG was extremely undersized versus the competition.

The real problem for us working-class mortals is that killer used deals on the new cables lines will probably be extremely rare for a long while. I'm very happy with my collection, though. I'm especially fine with my double-Kilimanjaro biwire, 9 AWG PSS silver, on speakers.
__________________
System 1: PS Audio P5 -> Emm Labs Dac2X DAC + TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Amp -> BW 802D3 ->
System 2: Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3 ->
System 3: Rotel RC1570 Pre -> Rotel RB1582 Amp -> Focal Kanta 2 ->
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2018, 12:00 AM
mulveling mulveling is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
I hear ya but thatís speculating there is more metal in the storm series.

I will be hard pressed to move from my wel speaker cables. An 8ft single biwire like mine? I ainít paying 30k for marginal improvement. I can create an entirely new stereo system for that price.
Yep, same here, the list prices (or anything even close to that) on the top-of-the-line cables aren't anywhere near worth it from my position. But I'm amazed when I see other brand cables that make top AQ stuff look like a bargain...e.g. $30K list cables that look like they were made by some kid, and with no real idea of exactly what quality of metal is inside. The current AQ cables have a superb fit & finish, and they look really good connected to gear (little if any cable management is necessary), not like garbage. And of course the sound is extremely detailed, open, and tonally neutral.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-04-2018, 02:15 AM
joey_v joey_v is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Yep, same here, the list prices (or anything even close to that) on the top-of-the-line cables aren't anywhere near worth it from my position. But I'm amazed when I see other brand cables that make top AQ stuff look like a bargain...e.g. $30K list cables that look like they were made by some kid, and with no real idea of exactly what quality of metal is inside. The current AQ cables have a superb fit & finish, and they look really good connected to gear (little if any cable management is necessary), not like garbage. And of course the sound is extremely detailed, open, and tonally neutral.
I agree 100%.

I don't know how much better it can get than my WELs... honestly. And I don't find the desire to find out because to move up to the Wel 2 or whatever they want to call it, I am not spending $30,000 to move to the newer version for a marginal difference.

Going from 12g copper wire from home depot to AQ WEL was fantastic. Going from AQ WEL to WEL2? Nah.
__________________
System 1: PS Audio P5 -> Emm Labs Dac2X DAC + TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Amp -> BW 802D3 ->
System 2: Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3 ->
System 3: Rotel RC1570 Pre -> Rotel RB1582 Amp -> Focal Kanta 2 ->
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2018, 08:16 AM
johndoe21ro's Avatar
johndoe21ro johndoe21ro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 215
Default

I think their interconnects and loudspeaker cables are as good as they get and I sincerely believe that Storm series appeared only as a necessity. Their power cables and their digital cables are not as good as their analogue cables. At least this is what I feel/hear/think.
So I have to say that as far as I'm concerned there is no need for better speaker cables or let me put it another way: they shouldn't be a priority for AQ. Just my 2 cents!
__________________
Amp: BAT VK-600SE
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e22 w Paul Hynes SR3-12 Power Supply; Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit, LPS & Samsung 860EVO 1TB SSD; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR 72v DBS, AudioQuest Everest DBS 72V, AudioQuest Hurricane High Current 72V DBS, AudioQuest NRG-10 72V DBS, AudioQuest Diamond USB 216V DBS, UpTone ISO Regen w USPCB A>B Adapter
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; HiFi Tuning Supreme 3

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 04-30-2018 at 03:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-08-2018, 04:20 PM
johndoe21ro's Avatar
johndoe21ro johndoe21ro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 215
Default

I couldn't help it... I've bought myself a Hurricane! Traded in the NRG-1000...

P.S. What about the carbon DBS? Is it stock for some cables? Do you have to buy it? Only the black ones come as stock with the power cables? Did anyone listen to both of them one next to the other?
__________________
Amp: BAT VK-600SE
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e22 w Paul Hynes SR3-12 Power Supply; Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit, LPS & Samsung 860EVO 1TB SSD; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR 72v DBS, AudioQuest Everest DBS 72V, AudioQuest Hurricane High Current 72V DBS, AudioQuest NRG-10 72V DBS, AudioQuest Diamond USB 216V DBS, UpTone ISO Regen w USPCB A>B Adapter
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; HiFi Tuning Supreme 3

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 04-30-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-08-2018, 04:46 PM
Ricjor1's Avatar
Ricjor1 Ricjor1 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 626
Default

What are your thoughts on the Hurricane?
__________________
Jeff Rowland 625 S2 amp, Corus preamp, Chord Dave DAC, Antipodes DS GT music server, Monitor Audio PL500 II, JL Audio F112v2, and more
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2018 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase