AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
some software today can perform the first stage (unfold to 24/96) and send that to a non MQA DAC like the yggy. That’s what your Auralic is doing
The first part of the quoted sentence is correct - Tidal desktop app, Audirvana, and Roon can perform the MQA Core decoding (first unfold) of MQA.

Auralic is doing its own proprietary upsampling for MQA music, it does not perform the MQA Core decoding necessary to extract the musical information from 22/24kHz to 44/48kHz embedded inside the MQA music file or stream.

Streamers that can perform MQA Core decoding and send it to another DAC include Lumin product line (U1 MINI / U1 / T2 / X1 can output to USB), Aurender with MQA Core decoding upgrade (not free), and dCS Network Bridge (no USB output).

Disclosure: Our company is obviously a MQA licensee.

Last edited by wklie; 01-11-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:44 PM

Whether or not you consider the software method Auralic uses as "true MQA" decoding is up to you but as original members of the MQA consortium that had a software method in place as far back as 2016 I think they do know what they are doing. I have played MQA files from the Auralic Aries into a non-MQA dac and then the same file from the Bridge II in the Directstream Sr. and the result was that the end product was the same. The Bridge II/Directstream combo is fully certified but the DAC alone is not so everything is being done in the Bridge II streaming card. For example a 24/192 MQA file played back 24/192 with both systems. My opinion for what it's worth and I do appreciate Peter's based on his position.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 AM

Yes I am sure they knew, but they divorced after what happened in CES 2016. I could link to a public post when their CEO explained the divorce but it's against forum rules. The firmware release notes state that "Note: the MQA decoding method integrated by all AURALiC streaming devices has been developed solely by AURALiC using AURALiC’s proprietary resampling and de-blurring method. This process is not an MQA-created or MQA-licensed process." The current method must be different from the one used in CES 2016, otherwise there will be legal implications.

Last edited by wklie; 01-11-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:38 AM

I'm sure it is "different" but how much only they know but the result in terms of the end resolution is the same as with the Bridge II where again the full un-fold is done by the streaming module and software. Same results also with the NT-505 and the D1.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:05 AM

From a novice stand point (which I most certainly am), what is the difference between the DAC unfolding the MQA vs the streamer (which doesn't have a DAC) unfolding the MQA?

I'm sure it's a simple answer for the educated..
Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
From a novice stand point (which I most certainly am), what is the difference between the DAC unfolding the MQA vs the streamer (which doesn't have a DAC) unfolding the MQA?

I'm sure it's a simple answer for the educated..
There are two parts which compose full MQA decoding, MQA Core (also referred to as the first unfold which often go up to 24/88 or 24/96) and MQA Rendering which provides the final unfold to the highest supported resolution for a given MQA encoded file. MQA Rendering is DAC specific, so a streamer which doesn't incorporate a DAC cannot provide it. A DAC which supports full MQA decoding can either provide MQA Rendering on a signal which has already had MQA Core decoding provided by a streamer or software player, or full MQA decoding on its own. Hope this overview helps without getting too technical!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
There are two parts which compose full MQA decoding, MQA Core (also referred to as the first unfold which often go up to 24/88 or 24/96) and MQA Rendering which provides the final unfold to the highest supported resolution for a given MQA encoded file. MQA Rendering is DAC specific, so a streamer which doesn't incorporate a DAC cannot provide it. A DAC which supports full MQA decoding can either provide MQA Rendering on a signal which has already had MQA Core decoding provided by a streamer or software player, or full MQA decoding on its own. Hope this overview helps without getting too technical!
Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Now, just need to determine which streamer to upgrade to...Auralic G1 or Aurender N100H. I was leaning heavy on the G1 until the price increase..
Old 01-11-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Now, just need to determine which streamer to upgrade to...Auralic G1 or Aurender N100H. I was leaning heavy on the G1 until the price increase..

One does Roon and one does not. I have not heard the Auralic G1, but I am quite happy with my N100H. You could look at the Lumin U1 Mini. I have always liked their products.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsT View Post
One does Roon and one does not. I have not heard the Auralic G1, but I am quite happy with my N100H. You could look at the Lumin U1 Mini. I have always liked their products.
Forgot about the Lumin U1..

Roon isn't important to me, this is just streaming.

Going to have to compare specs on all 3, all are the same price bracket.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:37 AM

If you don't need storage then the G1 and the U1 Mini are more functional in terms of outputs.