AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 PM

Default I want to believe

Guys,

Since this is the only forum where everyone acts as a gentleman even on this matter, I believe it's the best place for my questions.

I've read a lot on cables and I believe there is a lot of marketing BS but there is also some real stuff going on. You cannot deny that a lot of people are hearing a difference and they are not all suffering from collective illusion or belonging to some cult. So I really believe that cables can make a difference in a system, not as much as speakers or source, but they can help you get the best or at least not limit the system.

However, I've never noticed any change when swapping cables. I've done intense A/B between an old pair of RCA and a brand new Vovox XLR and I couldn't hear any change. I've tried USB vs SPDIF and nothing at all. I've tried cheap speaker cable and expensive ones (though not very thorough testing) and I couldn't care less. Stock power cable sound the same as ones costing hundreds of euros...

To be honest, i've never tried real expensive cables (except during demos at dealers but no A/B) but I'm starting to think that past a certain price point, there is no change. My Elipsa sound great on my homemade speaker cable and I don't think they sound any different than with the expensive supra used by the dealer. Though my homemade cable are not cheap.

Anyway, I've never had the kind of experience where switching a cable made an impact on the sound. Is it because i'm not doing it right ? Or I've not gone high enough ? My cable are all in the low hundreds and the next step would be closer to 4 figures, I'm kind of worried to spend this much if I don't get anything in return and I don't want to go on a wild goose chase... I prefer to spend that in my music collection. I'm going to ask my dealer to try some cables at different price point. What is the best way to test them and test what they really bring to the table ?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 PM

I am the anti-cable guy.

Get well made cables that have good conductors, sturdy connectors and are well shielded.

Changes in cable sounds, at best are sideways changes and most notable, in VERY long rca cables, negligible with balanced.

Put your money into music and where you know you can hear real improvements--NOT differences, if that.

You used a few terms that I will not repeat for fear of being labeled a total heretic, but agree with completely.

I'm wearing my flame-proof suit.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 02-26-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:29 PM

It is quite possible that you may not hear differences between some cables depending on the design intent, type of material used and construction. Then again some of us select cables that are intended to impact what we hear. I see cables as just another component in my system that I select for how they impact interact with the rest of the system to generate the sound I am seeking.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM

There is another thread on why people use cables.

Several descriptions were along the lines of "they are tone controls," but still, I wonder.

I posted once or twice before, one dealer wanted me to buy a $40,000 pair of speaker cables.

Needless to say, I passed on that.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Chief Toneologist

I don't see a system profile in your signature. My personal experience (much to my chagrin since cables have to be the most boring thing to purchase and own ever) is that in some highly-revealing systems cables do make a difference - sigh!

The good news is that, in many cases, I preferred the sound from cheaper cables to that of very high-end ones.

If you can't tell the difference (either because of your systems or your ears/brains) then -- PERHAPS -- you should consider yourself lucky :-).

Alberto
Old 02-26-2013, 01:46 PM

-- Alberto, I believe it costs money to have a sig showing your gear.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM

One thing for sure, I seldom see these types of discussions change anyone's mind. I'd also state as mentioned that AA is about the only place where these types of discussions can take place in a civil fashion.

In my case, I've noticed subtle changes with Interconnects and speaker cables. much less if any differences with power cables and digital cables. Many would disagree.

I've also found that even though my hearing by all measure has decreased in acuity with age, I do notice the subtle changes in cables more than I did years ago. Maybe I care more now? or maybe I've been trained to listen? Or maybe I'm better able to Imagine things now? Who knows?

And last but not least, our hobby is loaded with superlatives being used to describe changes in sound quality, however, one persons "slight change" is to another person " a Quantum leap" of improvement....Ah those "human factors"

Last edited by Rayooo; 02-26-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post

Last edited by Rayooo; 02-26-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
But it's money well spent :-).

In that case, it would be good to see a list of gear in the post.

Alberto
Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 PM

It's the same as anything else... If you can't notice the difference, then there isn't any! Spend your money where you notice the difference
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables