AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Isolation, Tips & Tweaks

Isolation, Tips & Tweaks Enhance your enjoyment

Old 07-05-2019, 02:47 PM

I do have to say the same money spent on a good quality record "cleaner" goes a long way to improving the sound. No pseudo-science need apply there.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I couldn’t tell you how any cable improves sound, or a fuse, or how Stillpoints improve sound. If you haven’t tried them, you’re only speculating.
Again, your speaking of objects far more 'involved' than a outlet 'cover plate' ! and yes I am speculating

Quote:
My ears are the only ones that matter, and I hear a very positive improvement.
I would love to see that demonstrated in a DBT ! (speaking only of the cover plate)

Last edited by Mikado463; 07-05-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
... I would love to see that demonstrated in a DBT ! (speaking only of the cover plate)
Why not conduct such a test yourself, and then share the results with us?
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
Why not conduct such a test yourself, and then share the results with us?
Ok, you send me 3 pairs of those cover plates .....
Old 07-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Serge... believe me, I wished that I didn’t hear any difference. All the technical explanations really don’t mean much to me. I find, these types of upgrades/tweaks either work, or don’t.
Wait, are we talking about the AC receptacle itself, or the cover plate for the receptacle? I'm confusing these with the Furutech NCF receptacles that Ivan had for sale the other day....

Confused...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:46 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Oh, and BTW, I know its just a matter of semantics but, since we're gettin' technical here:

"Damping" is to attenuate the oscillation or vibration of something. This is why the Brits (accurately) refer to "shock absorbers" on cars or bikes as "dampers", because they damp the oscillation of the spring of a car or bike's suspension system (again, to be accurate, the spring is the actual shock absorber, the damper attenuates the oscillation of the spring after hitting a bump.)

"Dampening" is to moisten something.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Wait, are we talking about the AC receptacle itself, or the cover plate for the receptacle? I'm confusing these with the Furutech NCF receptacles that Ivan had for sale the other day....

Confused...
My initial post is about the cover plate only, isolated as a separate upgrade. I know full well the benefits of a quality outlet as I am using Shunyata SR-Z1. I wish to order two other duplexes from cruzeFirst audio and they come in either black or white. I need to decide if I will add a audio grade cover plate (if I can put it this way) and this will lead me to choose the color of the duplexes. I was thinking about the furutech as they are black but there are no white as far as I know. If I choose white, I will just add a plastic Leviton cover plate, and save 500$. The question is, should I care?..

Last edited by Parabellum; 07-05-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:09 PM

Default Demagnitizing

Given the historic holiday, I though I would include a bit of history on de-magnitizing, and why it is called degaussing. But if this technique works on your cables, I suggest reading up on the story 'bout how the kings crown was determined not to be pure gold..

Wikipedia:

"The term was first used by then-Commander Charles F. Goodeve, RCNVR, during World War II while trying to counter the German magnetic naval mines that were playing havoc with the British fleet. The mines detected the increase in the magnetic field when the steel in a ship concentrated the Earth's magnetic field over it. Admiralty scientists, including Goodeve, developed a number of systems to induce a small "N-pole up" field into the ship to offset this effect, meaning that the net field was the same as the background. Since the Germans used the gauss as the unit of the strength of the magnetic field in their mines' triggers (this was not yet a standard measure), Goodeve referred to the various processes to counter the mines as "degaussing". The term became a common word.

The original method of degaussing was to install electromagnetic coils into the ships, known simply as coiling. In addition to being able to bias the ship continually, coiling also allowed the bias field to be reversed in the southern hemisphere, where the mines were set to detect "S-pole down" fields. British ships, notably cruisers and battleships, were well protected by about 1943.

Installing such special equipment was, however, far too expensive and difficult to service all ships that would need it, so the navy developed an alternative called wiping, which Goodeve also devised, and which is now also called deperming. This procedure simply dragged a large electrical cable along the side of the ship with a pulse of about 2000 amperes flowing through it. This induced the proper field into the ship in the form of a slight bias. It was originally thought that the pounding of the sea and the ship's engines would slowly randomize this field, but in testing, this was found not to be a real problem. A more serious problem was later realized: as a ship travels through Earth's magnetic field, it will slowly pick up that field, counteracting the effects of the degaussing. From then on captains were instructed to change direction as often as possible to avoid this problem. Nevertheless, the bias did wear off eventually, and ships had to be degaussed on a schedule. Smaller ships continued to use wiping through the war.

To aid the Dunkirk evacuation, the British "wiped" 400 ships in four days.[1]"
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Given the historic holiday, I though I would include a bit of history on de-magnitizing, and why it is called degaussing. But if this technique works on your cables, I suggest reading up on the story 'bout how the kings crown was determined not to be pure gold..

Wikipedia:

"The term was first used by then-Commander Charles F. Goodeve, RCNVR, during World War II while trying to counter the German magnetic naval mines that were playing havoc with the British fleet. The mines detected the increase in the magnetic field when the steel in a ship concentrated the Earth's magnetic field over it. Admiralty scientists, including Goodeve, developed a number of systems to induce a small "N-pole up" field into the ship to offset this effect, meaning that the net field was the same as the background. Since the Germans used the gauss as the unit of the strength of the magnetic field in their mines' triggers (this was not yet a standard measure), Goodeve referred to the various processes to counter the mines as "degaussing". The term became a common word.

The original method of degaussing was to install electromagnetic coils into the ships, known simply as coiling. In addition to being able to bias the ship continually, coiling also allowed the bias field to be reversed in the southern hemisphere, where the mines were set to detect "S-pole down" fields. British ships, notably cruisers and battleships, were well protected by about 1943.

Installing such special equipment was, however, far too expensive and difficult to service all ships that would need it, so the navy developed an alternative called wiping, which Goodeve also devised, and which is now also called deperming. This procedure simply dragged a large electrical cable along the side of the ship with a pulse of about 2000 amperes flowing through it. This induced the proper field into the ship in the form of a slight bias. It was originally thought that the pounding of the sea and the ship's engines would slowly randomize this field, but in testing, this was found not to be a real problem. A more serious problem was later realized: as a ship travels through Earth's magnetic field, it will slowly pick up that field, counteracting the effects of the degaussing. From then on captains were instructed to change direction as often as possible to avoid this problem. Nevertheless, the bias did wear off eventually, and ships had to be degaussed on a schedule. Smaller ships continued to use wiping through the war.

To aid the Dunkirk evacuation, the British "wiped" 400 ships in four days.[1]"
Very cool, thanks for sharing the WWII story!

As to how the crown was determined to be not all gold, Archimedes cracked that nut.

The more important question is "Why didn't the Emperor have any clothes"? Rumor has it, he spent all his money on audio accessories!

Old 07-05-2019, 10:49 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I do have to say the same money spent on a good quality record "cleaner" goes a long way to improving the sound. No pseudo-science need apply there.
Serge.......Not everything that is real can be fully explained even when we experience results. Let me provide an example.

A man was walking along a California beach when he came upon an old bottle half buried in the sand. He picked it up and was rubbing the sand off when smoke swirled from inside the bottle and a very old Genie appeared. The man was startled but the Genie spoke and assured him everything was fine. The Genie said, "I am here to grant you a wish, any wish. I am such an old Genie I no longer have the strength to grant three wishes, but I can grant you one. What is your wish?" The man thought for a minute and said. "I have always wanted to visit Hawaii but I am afraid to fly or travel by boat. Please build me a bridge from here to Hawaii." The Genie paused for a moment then said, "I can do this but it will take years to complete and no doubt lives will be lost during the dangerous construction across the mighty Pacific Ocean. Are you certain this is your wish?" The man considered the Genie's words and said, "You're right. That would be too much to ask." Thinking for another moment the man finally spoke, "Genie, my wish is to understand women." The Genie blinked several times, frowned slightly and said, "Do you want that bridge to be one lane or two."

There it is. Women are real. That's a certainty, but some things just cannot be explained. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 07-05-2019 at 10:52 PM.