AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-05-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
The MC275MkVI is a classic design updated plus it is very special, too. Welcome to the club, now to learn the wave, handshake and the theme song.

It’s really a re-initiation to the club since this replaced my old MC275. I’m so happy to be back here again! Club wave, handshake, and theme song to all of you!
Old 03-12-2021, 10:30 PM

A complete set of Gold Lions arrived yesterday for my new replacement MC275VI that I just received. I’ll be installing them this weekend as I’m curious to see what difference the Gold Lions make. My previous MC275VI only had the stock tubes so after four years of the stock tubes I’m familiar with what an MC275VI sounds like with those tubes. I imagine the change to Gold Lions is subtle but we’ll see.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:03 AM

The Gold Lions are all installed in both my C22 and my MC275VI. I’m breaking them in now.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:24 AM

Default EAT Tubes

Hey all. 'Love tracking this ongoing dialogue as a fellow MC275 addict.

Just to weigh in on tubes, I also had the gold lions for a while and I think they are hard to beat for their value for sure. I was, and could be, happy with them for a long time. That said, I did finally (in a loss of sanity my wife would probably argue) splurge and spring for the expensive EAT KT88s. My MC275s love them. All of the best sound traits of the Gold Lions seem accentuated to yet another level. I don't know if it will be worth the incremental cost for some in this already expensive hobby and certainly I respect that not everyone has the means, but I just wanted to share my experience. I'm curious if anyone else has tried the EATs. If nothing else, I think these amps with these tubes have now extinguished any amp upgrade bug I might have had - likely for as long as I'm blessed to walk the planet!

On another note, I did finally sell my C2300 and took another big splurge on a gently used C1100. All I can say is "wow!" for anyone who has the desire/means. The C2300 is a really great pre-amp; the C1100 is next level exquisite with our MC275s - among other things, I don't think I've ever heard a quieter background.

Happy listening!
Old 03-13-2021, 01:39 PM

Has anyone tried the Sophia Electric coke-bottle KT88-ST with the 275?
Home Gym: KEF LS50W-II

Office: ZuAudio Dirty Weekend, BluSound Powernode, Schiit Mani, Fluance RT85, REL T/5i

Last edited by paltomare; 03-13-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:28 PM

I have had the Gold Lions installed in my MC275VI for about a week now. I notice that they take about a half an hour to thoroughly warm up. Until then, the music sounds kind of thin or veiled, but then it's like a switch goes off and all of a sudden the music warms up, the bass extends, and everything sounds great. Either the stock tubes didn't do that or with these tubes I'm noticing more out of my system. I'll keep these in for a few months and then rotate the stock tubes back in to reevaluate the differences.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:08 PM

Rob - that’s a good plan, switching back to the OEM tubes after awhile to see what you like best. I also find a 30 minute warmup is required to get the most out our my MC 275.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-19-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Rob - that’s a good plan, switching back to the OEM tubes after awhile to see what you like best. I also find a 30 minute warmup is required to get the most out our my MC 275.

A good warmup really does make a difference. I’m now starting to turn my system on a while before I plan to listen. In fact, I already turned it on in anticipation of tonight’s listening session.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
I have had the Gold Lions installed in my MC275VI for about a week now. I notice that they take about a half an hour to thoroughly warm up. Until then, the music sounds kind of thin or veiled, but then it's like a switch goes off and all of a sudden the music warms up, the bass extends, and everything sounds great. Either the stock tubes didn't do that or with these tubes I'm noticing more out of my system. I'll keep these in for a few months and then rotate the stock tubes back in to reevaluate the differences.
I know it's conventional wisdom that tubes take a while to warm up, but I don't think the stock tubes sound thin or veiled for 30 minutes. I'm pretty sensitive when something is "wrong" in my system, I have never thought it sounded wrong on first turning it on.

Others with stock tube experience here?
Old 03-21-2021, 09:48 AM

Default MC275 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I know it's conventional wisdom that tubes take a while to warm up, but I don't think the stock tubes sound thin or veiled for 30 minutes. I'm pretty sensitive when something is "wrong" in my system, I have never thought it sounded wrong on first turning it on.

Others with stock tube experience here?

I said that the Gold Lions are taking a while to warm up, not the stock tubes. The Gold Lions are also brand new and I’m still on the fence as to which tubes sound better, stock or Gold Lions.

Last edited by Stahle; 03-21-2021 at 09:52 AM.