AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 06-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Keeping it real since '75

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkizz View Post
I'm adding 10 more panels which should push me over the "need" to use the grid mark, however it's still there just in case.

the powerwalls have a few different settings, one of which uses all excess solar energy to charge the batteries until full then sends the excess to the grid. Then at night (or on cloudy days) discharges the batteries for power to the house. Another is called "backup" where I can set a percentage of the battery to be held in case of power outages from the grid, at which time the powerwalls disconnects totally from the grid and energizes the house.

supposedly I will be able to go 7 days with no grid... last hurricane about 20 of my neighbors and I were down 5 days... and even the ones on propane powered generators ran out. fingers crossed this is the ticket
I hope this works out well for you. Definitely keep this thread up to date with info though so we can all keep track of the progress and future results/status. I assume you are using your own panels and not the "roofing" solar panels Tesla makes?

I really do hope they continue to make strides in this space. It would be cool to one day be completely electricity independent for the same cost or lower of utility based power.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
That literally made me chuckle out loud!

The second generation of the powerwall is supposed to be pretty damn good. The third generation is due this year.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PamCOi0ktrs
Welp... that sent me down a youtube black hole watching powerwall videos, then car videos.. lol

Looks like the grid will provide power when the house needs it.. so I will still have to deal with imperfect grid power every now and then unless the grid goes completely down.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
I hope this works out well for you. Definitely keep this thread up to date with info though so we can all keep track of the progress and future results/status. I assume you are using your own panels and not the "roofing" solar panels Tesla makes?

I really do hope they continue to make strides in this space. It would be cool to one day be completely electricity independent for the same cost or lower of utility based power.

Me too! I started this whole thing with the panels to see how far I could go in terms of quitting the grid and paying FPL. Then the hurricane came and screwed up my life for 5 days (purely inconvenience, no offense to anyone who suffered losses much more severe than lost power and a downed fence).

And now it's turned into this quest to be independent and generate my own power needs very "green" and interesting, not to mention hope that my power is super clean to the audio.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 PM

Watching this with interest. I had a quote a couple of years ago for solar both with and without battery backup but it didn’t make sense at the time, the battery system was too involved, too expensive and took too much space. We have a lot of power outages (sometimes a half dozen a year, always for a few hours and occasionally for a couple of days. We run a generator but solar with a battery system would be preferable.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-05-2019, 09:32 AM

It's happening!!

Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 AM

Old 06-05-2019, 12:41 PM

This thread is way cool. Keep us posted.
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:28 PM

FYI - Just confirmed with the installer that...

although not designed as a feature or advertised in any way there will be a mains "disconnect" inside of the Service Gateway device. The Service Gateway is basically the brains of the whole system and decides when to discharge/charge batteries, use solar, or use grid. Because there needs to be a mains breaker here "I can simulate a grid outage."

If we've sized this thing correctly... I will be able to go 100% solar + battery manually. Say, for instance, when I'm listening to Pink Floyd.

If I leave the breaker alone then the gateway decides automagically when to do the switching based on conditions.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkizz View Post
If we've sized this thing correctly... I will be able to go 100% solar + battery manually. Say, for instance, when I'm listening to Pink Floyd.

There’s a bit of irony listening to Dark Side of the Moon on solar power.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:53 PM

After 6 hours working on the roof to prep the mounts for the 10 new solar panels, the guys have to get these 275 lb batteries on the wall.. lol

Where were they when I was trying to move those freakin' Cantons into place.

First one:

Second one & stacking:

They're done for the day. Tomorrow end of day, I should be up and going.