AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 02-26-2020, 01:13 PM

I also want to thank clpeterson and jspock for their kind comments. I have both rear tweeters at 0 dB. When the XVX was first installed even with the modules out of focus the first thing I noticed was the beautiful cymbals and overall treble.

I believe one of the very desirable qualities of Wilson speakers is that it is very difficult to make a Wilson sound "bad". It obviously was impossible for me to audition an XVX. I had to go on my previous experience with my Maxx3 and Alexx both of which were very positive. Without this positivism I would never have had the confidence to take such a huge leap of faith and achieve the success I have achieved.

The folks at Wilson and also my dealer deserve all the credit. It was Wilson's willingness to go the extra mile that gave me confidence. They sent me pics of the bottom of the XVX; the casters on the XVX; the spike assembly; etc. All this when I don't believe they thought there was much chance of a purchase. I can't say enough about their patience.

I would say that engineering was consulted probably 3-4 times and produced various pics and drawings and gave me all sorts of advice and information. For example (just one example) I was concerned how the height of the XVX would vary with adjustment of the modules. Would the height vary maybe just an inch or would it vary plus minus 3-4 inches? I could go on but I had question after question all of which Wilson patiently answered and their answers made sense.

Then how in the world did my dealer do such a fabulous job with getting the 700 pound speakers so perfectly situated and installed without any damage? It was a massive effort on their part.

And the speakers appear to function wonderfully. They are the most complicated piece of gear I have ever seen. In the end I said to myself, "what the heck, I'm going to do this". I was prepared for disaster and disappointment. Instead I got wonder and amazement. Doesn't happen very much in this unhappy world.

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 02-26-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:16 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
In the end I said to myself, "what the heck, I'm going to do this". I was prepared for disaster and disappointment.

Charles - I know you went through some uncertainty with your room size and the Wilson spike situation, but man, prepared for disaster and disappointment with a $330,000 loudspeaker?????? There should be nothing but pure unadulterated fun with that kind of purchase!!!!!!!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 02-27-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Charles - I know you went through some uncertainty with your room size and the Wilson spike situation, but man, prepared for disaster and disappointment with a $330,000 loudspeaker?????? There should be nothing but pure unadulterated fun with that kind of purchase!!!!!!!

- Buck
Buck, thanks for the comment. I can see how one could feel this way. However, it was not enjoyable at all. It was nerve racking. When my dealer arrived I got them going. This took about 30 minutes because I was extremely well prepared. Then I went back into my study pretending to do "busy" work but secretly hoping not to hear a crash and yell as the speaker fell down the stairs. I obviously heard no crash. Then I went for a long walk. When I returned they were done.

Next, despite all the reassurances, I simply did not know if the speaker would fit as billed. I mean I really wanted it to be in the same position as my Alexx and despite all my calculations, I knew I wouldn't know until I saw it.

Buck, I was very satisfied with my Alexx. Was I trying for an impossible dream? Dreams don't often really come true in this reality. And almost anyone should have been totally satisfied with what I already had.

To spend that much money and wind up with less I felt was a real possibility. Someone said an audiophile with a tape measure better watch out. That really concerned me.

To me the XVX represented a "Holy Grail" and I secretly wondered if it was attainable. Then there was the way the deal went down. At a checkout scanner at Walmart with one hand holding the scanner and the other my cell? I made a joke out of it but I wondered if I acted impulsively. I was not planning on buying an XVX that day. Unless you walked in my shoes those 2 months it would be difficult to understand what I went through. I did not feel myself worthy of the speaker. I experienced a lot of insecurity. I felt the XVX above my pay grade.

But amazingly, it has said "Hey Charles, I'm your new XVX. I'm not hard to please or finicky. I'm easy. I like my new home. Now relax and enjoy me." It says this to me everyday through the music it makes.

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 02-27-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:57 PM

Charles,

I've read all your posts about your recent journey with the XVX. Loved every one. One day I hope to hear a system close to yours.

Yesterday I ran across a piece of music entitled, "Traveling Music," by the Silk Road Ensemble. It was on the soundtrack of the Ken Burns film, "The Vietnam War."

I loved the piece and for some reason all my thoughts were, "I wonder what it would sound like on Charles' system?"

If you get bored, please give it a listen and let me know what you think.

Regards,

Bob

Dali Epicon 8, Luxman 509X, highy modified MDHT Orchid Dac, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, Shunyata and Nordost cables
Old 03-01-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzmusician View Post
Charles,

I've read all your posts about your recent journey with the XVX. Loved every one. One day I hope to hear a system close to yours.

Yesterday I ran across a piece of music entitled, "Traveling Music," by the Silk Road Ensemble. It was on the soundtrack of the Ken Burns film, "The Vietnam War."

I loved the piece and for some reason all my thoughts were, "I wonder what it would sound like on Charles' system?"

If you get bored, please give it a listen and let me know what you think.

Regards,

Bob
Bob, thank you so much for your kind comments. I purchased the CD with YO YO MA on the cover and also the Soundtrack CD both off Amazon. I couldn't see the tracks on PBS CD but the songs on the Soundtrack seemed mighty fine, so I bought it also. Neither very expensive.

I have been in process of re-discovering a lot of my jazz CD's with my XVX. The XVX simply excels with jazz. Never heard anything like it.

A particularly wonderful CD that I discovered is "In The Evenings Out There"
Paul Bley piano ECM 1488 517469-2. Every track is absolutely remarkable. I don't know why I never noticed this CD before.

Thank you again for your kind comments. Also with Ivan's permission I may post a pic of my work today. I am working on an email concerning it. It will only be one pic with no comment. My work is in a sense "top secret" so I will not be able to comment and no one will remotely know what it is. But it certainly is beautiful art. If I don't post, I have decided against it.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:12 AM

Bob, I have listened to the yo-yo ma PBS CD about twice. It is extremely well recorded so I listened to it at relatively high volume. Interestingly Traveling Music (cut 2) was from a dynamic contrast standpoint not very demanding, although I enjoyed it very much. It built to a crescendo but there was no bass instrument. Xylophone like instrument had good reverb. There was a counterpoint to it left mid channel in the distance. Reed instrument was nice and so was percussion on the right. Volume set at 47-48 on D1100 which is fairly loud. All XVX, essentially no Thor. Fun to listen to but nothing very system demanding at all. About 12-15 watts from XVX no more than 1.2 from Thor.

However, the rest of the CD was a different story. To my ears cut 6 "People and Fighters Unite" was similar to cut 2 but much more dynamically demanding. The "xylophone" strikes were much sharper/harder from the outset and the bass shook the floor surprisingly hard from the outset and all the way through. Takes a lot of bass to this to my floor. Percussion was very impressive. Thor was at 60 watts XVX at 100 watts. That's significant.

Remainder of CD was simply excellent. Bass tremendous. Strings like you are there in their room. Percussion "perfect". XVX up to 60-80 watts and Thor at least 60 watts on occasion. Fairly impressive and means a lot of bass, brother. Cut 5 "The Wounded Soldier Reprieve" is particularly impressive. Whatever that instrument is (sounded like a clarinet) will challenge your mid, I strongly suspect.

The mood was somber, very sad, agonizing, without joy. Reminded me of Civil War music but very beautiful. I highly recommend this CD. Would be interested in others take on it.

It is truly amazing how well the XVX sounds in my meager room on my equipment. I would encourage anyone if they can possibly afford it to buy this speaker. It will not disappoint. It seems to be a characteristic of Wilsons these days to be eager to please. Far from being a lab instrument, the XVX is like the Alexx, eager to please and wants to play all types of music. It would probably sound good under most any circumstances. It is the opposite of a high strung, finicky, difficult, loudspeaker. It's hard to comprehend how a speaker that has this type resolution and detail totally avoids being ruthlessly revealing, but the XVX really does. It is a pleasure/marvel to listen to on my equipment.

Finally, I want to mention the XVX tweeter. It settles the question about the new Wilson treble. When you listen to it you would swear you were listening to a wonderful metal dome but without any trace of the hardness or ringing. The XVX tweeter has all the positives of the old Ti tweeter but with none of the drawbacks. I thought the Alexx had a wonderful treble but the Alexx could not manage this. It is simply the best treble I have ever heard.

Final final thought, aren't bonds wonderful!!

Charles

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 03-05-2020 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:45 PM

More impressions of yo-yo ma PBS CD. I listened to it after I got home from dinner. Saw it on my front door step on leaving.

This am I listened to it on volume 50%. With the XVX you can listen about as loud as you want. The music does not not "change" with loudness. Cut 2 Traveling Music again sounded excellent just as I described last night. But not dynamically demanding just beautiful crystal clear percussion, reed instrument on right. Xylophone type instrument middle and mid left with excellent reverb and a counterpoint in background on left in distance. Builds to crescendo of about 60 watts and at 50 the strikes are a little bit harder. No Thor at all (about 1.2 watts peak hold).

However, the rest of the disc is a different story. It is dynamically demanding. On 6 which is like 2 but on steroids and more somber because it has deep bass both the Thor and the XVX hit 120 watts peak hold. That's loud and a lot of bass.

Cut 5 will demonstrate midrange flaws if you have any. This is an extremely impressive CD. In my room the XVX has a lot of bass when it's in the recording and the transition to the Thor is extremely smooth so much so I never thought this could be possible. This is because the XVX woofers are every bit as powerful as the Thor, in fact even more powerful if that were possible. Therefore on this CD you can only tell the contribution of each by looking at the needles. There is zero change in pitch.

The best way I could describe this CD is Asian jazz. I'm not sure I have a jazz CD (I have a lot of them) that can remotely match the dynamic range of this CD and sound quality of this CD. How has it been overlooked?

This CD I believe will turn out to be the best CD I will have for sub woofer blend because of the incredible amount of bass that actually is there in the recording.

I highly recommend this CD. As I said the reed instrument solo at the beginning of cut 5 will tell you what kind of mid you have rather immediately. The percussion and bass are amazing on this cut.

Last edited by Charles; 03-05-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:19 PM

Hi Charles,
Thank you for all the wonderful postings on XVX.
Can you share the image of the CD cover "yo-yo ma PBS" you mentioned in your last post?
Thank You.

ST Cheng
Old 06-30-2020, 04:03 PM

Charles
I was reading this thread and just pulled up the CD on Tidal. I am only up to the second track so far but this is a keeper.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Charles
I was reading this thread and just pulled up the CD on Tidal. I am only up to the second track so far but this is a keeper.

Hi Jim,
Thank you for sharing the cover of the CD