AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 07-24-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
Timobi,

Congrats on the Expressions! I'm thrilled with mine!

As Dave pointed out, ML's need to be AWAY from the front wall (ideally 3 or more feet, if possible). That keeps the rear sound wave from reflecting back and "smearing" the front/direct wave. For optimizing the bass, wait until you have a good 100+ hrs playing time, then run Anthem Room Correction. If you're still not happy, you can manually adjust the bass settings (and mid-bass toggle), or play around a bit more with speaker positioning... finding the best balance of soundstage depth and imaging (midrange and highs) vs. bass.

If still unhappy, I suggest measuring the speaker/room response with something like XTZ Room Analyzer, Omnimic, or REW. It's possible you could have a major bass null in your "sweet spot" (as I do) which might require rearranging the speakers in the room, and/or adding a sub (or two).

For more advice, hop on over to the ML Owners Forum and post your questions there... http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum
the most anemic bass was when I had the ML's more than 2 feet out. Perhaps after the 100 hour break & after employing the Anthem Room Correction can improve this. Most of the reviews mention the ARC truly improved the entire soundstage.

Yeah I have't ruled out a musical sub. I actually thought this the day I spent the afternoon demoing these in Dallas that I wouldn't rule out a sub. But in theory I feel I shouldn't have to do this but in the end may have to.

thx again guys.

Last edited by Timobi; 07-24-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoak View Post
What if you place acoustic/diffusion padding on the wall behind the speakers? Would that help? I maybe in a similar position to need to do this.
yes, but for the life of me I can never understand why one would purchase a top flight transducer and not utilize it correctly.

I've owned and listened through various di-pole speakers for the past 35 years and it continues to amaze me the number of people that continue to get it wrong.

as for the diffusion / absorption thing, yes it can help the 'compromise' but I for one don't believe in putting 'band aids' on expensive gear.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:45 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

May be late here, or did not notice others posts but consider swapping the couch and chair - that will free up a good deal of space and capture the look your after
Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 PM

I thought of that but the couch is a tad over 8 feet. It's a tight fit to swap out. But its worth trying.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
oh yah.... what a nightmare though!!! Maybe you could put the boxes in the listening position and kind of pretend??? That has got to be killing you.... But, Dave is right.... Patience Yago Patience... Name that Disney film... haha.
Alladin. Jaffar to the bird.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:37 PM

hahahahahahaha

Ok Question. So what I am realizing is this. Some music that I like and familiar with sounds GREAT on the ESL's. Other music is just ok. Almost a Jeckl and Hyde. Not as good as the Tritons did on some things.

Someone feel free to challenge this theory. But with the Tritons most if not all, the music sounded good to great. But at times got over bearing and harsh. Did they exaggerate the sound? Whereas the ML's can sound great but some things are just ok. Does that mean that the Tritons weren't as accurate? Whereas the ML are giving truly whats on there. Nothing more?

Just some thoughts. I love the sound don't get me wrong.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:09 PM

Yes the ML's will tell you the truth about a recording. I have never heard the Triton's but they may be a good "classic rock" speaker as in they smooth over the truth and leave you with an "enjoyable" sound even though it's not the ultimate truth.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
hahahahahahaha

Ok Question. So what I am realizing is this. Some music that I like and familiar with sounds GREAT on the ESL's. Other music is just ok.
as 'SL' stated your Logan's are very revealing of everything.....source and all upstream components. In short, if there is a weak link in the chain you'll know it !

Quote:
But with the Tritons most if not all, the music sounded good to great. But at times got over bearing and harsh.
I would therefore say 'fair to great'

Quote:
Did they exaggerate the sound?
more likely a trait of a 'polite' speaker

Quote:
Whereas the ML's can sound great but some things are just ok. Does that mean that the Tritons weren't as accurate? Whereas the ML are giving truly whats on there.
I suspect. Tim, how many hours do you have on them ? It does take some time (up to 100 hrs) for complete panel / woofer integration.

One other thought .........you have a Mac 452 correct ? what taps are you utilizing, 4 or 8 ohm, don't be afraid to switch and give a listen !
Old 07-26-2017, 08:51 PM

Joey wins the prize!!

Tim - yes I am kind of surprised the bass isn't 'boomy' in that room. Hardwood ... how deep is the room ? Question for you - there is a volume level on the back for the woofer and a mid-bass level as well?? What are they on? I know the summits were never anemic - I can't imagine these would be.

And listen to Dave and Sleepy. Veterans on the ML forum

And .....don't panic!!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 PM

I love this forum. Polite and yet knowledgeable.

Dave, I have about 55 hours so far. So not nearly enough. At first I used the 4ohm taps. But the first day things sounded pretty bad lol so I went online and read about changing to 8ohm. I've left it on 8 ohm since that 2nd day. Would be interesting to try the 4ohm again now that they've warmed up a bit.

Timm:
The bass is boomy yes. Maybe a tad better over time. I keep experimenting with placement. The room is very "leaky". The total room depth is 26 feet. But to the listening chairs I uploaded about 18 feet. Width is nearly 14 feet.

As of now I have the Bass settings on +2...and the mid bass to 0. Tried the 0 setting and it was not as good. Think I have been afraid to adjust those settings. Kind of against my nature but they are there for a reason.

My plan is too put the spikes on this weekend. I have spike shoes on the way. Then I can adjust the rake a tad.

You know theres not going to be that ultimate sweet spot when I get both chairs in. They will be side by side. The flashlight meter for placement seems to be geared for the seat in the middle. I won't have that.