AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:33 AM

Default My Experience with Music Players and Music Servers... So far

Years ago, I started using Squeezebox devices. I also got a NAS and ripped my entire CD collection. Streaming changed the way I listen to music; I ended up putting my CDs in the attic. But there were hiccups along the way. Logitech Music Server (LMS, the brain behind the SB machines) ran on a computer and from time to time I experienced my share of computer gremlins.

Then Logitech decided to stop making Squeezebox products and quit supporting LMS altogether. So it was time to look for alternatives.

Eventually I decided on the Sony HAP-Z1ES music server. The Sony offered two advantages: 1) no computer needed, and 2) it played DSD natively. For nearly two years I have been happy with that set up.

I recently started playing around with Roon/Tidal. Roon runs on a computer, but so far it seems solid (i.e., no computer issues... so far). I soon found out that Roon supported my old Squeezebox devices and that Roon could combine all my music already stored in the NAS with the Tidal offerings. Also Roon can stream in Hi-Rez to my squeezebox machines. All good.

Today I did some testing:
Option: A) Roon/Tidal/NAS/Squeezebox/Bryston SP3, versus
Option: B) Sony HAP/Bryston SP3.

Overall, Option A sounded better with all material, except DSD where the Sony sounded a bit better. In Option A, the Bryston SP3 is the DAC. In Option B, the Sony is the DAC and the SP3 just passes the analog signal.

Three further thoughts:
1. I have been listening to Tidal’s Master (MQA) offerings. I have compared the MQA recordings to normal CDs from Tidal and the same CDs from my library and prefer the Tidal MQA versions.
2. The Squeezebox devices do 96/24 with no problem. I am still surprised how far ahead of their time the Squeezebox devices were.
3. I have decided that from now on I will avoid players with their own storage. If your NAS is working correctly, you should be able to feed your music player with no hiccups at all. Moreover, you only have one database to maintain/keep updated. (Transferring files from a NAS to another drive and maintaining two databases becomes tedious very quickly). YMMV.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:15 AM

Interesting.... I use my home built music server and two spinners... a Marantz for Redbooks and SACDs and a Yamaha for HDCD and DVD Audio. I love Roon... that simple. I do not stream or use Tidal, but Roon makes it so easy to control my downloaded music, both PCM and DSD...
Old 02-13-2017, 10:54 AM

Talking high quality reproduction - is a really good CDP (say Esoteric or so) really not better than streaming via any given server from a local NAS?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:06 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno2009 View Post
Talking high quality reproduction - is a really good CDP (say Esoteric or so) really not better than streaming via any given server from a local NAS?

In my case, my Silenzio/NAS/Esoteric K-01 acting as DAC is equal to or better than my Esoteric K-01 acting as CDP for redbook.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:31 PM

I will never forget the day that my Pioneer N-70 A network player with attached HD blew my EAR Acute, which is 4.5 times te price, out the water, in SQ terms. Needless to state, the EAR was promptly sold and I never loaded a CD again.

I still prefer an attached HD or onboard storage, as there are too many risks in getting NAS device working flawlessly.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:23 PM

I also started with Squeezebox players, and still have a Touch and 3 radios in use. Since I invested in Linn streamers I haven't owned a disc player other than Blu-ray for home theater. Linn's Klimax streaming from a NAS sounds better than any disc player I've heard so far. I'm sure the top players like Esoteric's best can sound wonderful, but with the sound of a top-flight streamer married to the convenience of streaming and the versatility of NAS storage, I no longer feel the need to play silver discs. Vinyl is a different story, of course.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 02-13-2017, 02:49 PM

"Vinyl is a different story, of course"

Tony...I cannot agree more
Old 02-13-2017, 03:49 PM

... when using an external DAC - have you noticed any differences in the networkplayers - I mean they range from a nice little Cambridge at around 1k to McIntosh at around 5-6k and further upwards... I'll be using the integrated DAC from my McIntosh C52 and at the time I use the MCT450 for CD playback... thinking to substitute the MCT or put a networkplayer next to it...
Old 03-11-2018, 04:56 PM

Anyone experience in using a decent Laptop like a MacBook Pro and a good Service like Qoboz connected via USB to a good DAC ? Does it hold up to a CD Transport connected to the same DAC ?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:48 PM

In my experience, if you can deliver a bit perfect signal (by whatever means) to your DAC, the sound is the same. I personally see no need for a transport or a CD player, except to rip SACDs.