AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 07-03-2019, 04:55 PM

Turns out neither dealer nearest me (2 hours & 2.5 hours to Charlotte & Atlanta respectively) have a demo of the Evo 100. Atlanta may have theirs within a week or so. We shall see.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:02 AM

Serge, your information about tube rectification is awesome. Thank you.

JBT, can you in any way describe the difference in sound between your Mac system and the PL you listened to? Of course, I understand you did not compare the two in a controlled context, but maybe you could say whether you’d be happy replacing your beloved Macintosh 275 and 2200 with Primaluna 400s. And thanks for your kind comment about enjoying music. Ha ha ha, as I’ve only got an Astell&Kern AK120 filled with Hires files and Sennheiser HD650 headphones, I feel I only listen to music, not really enjoy it ha ha ha. But someday, I will have a beautiful system again.

Wes, thank you so much for your thoughts. And I’m so happy to hear that you and your wife continue to be living what I imagine is a very beautiful life together!

Puma Cat, your biochemistry story is funny. It reminded me of my college days. As a second year chemistry student, I wanted to take an honors section of second semester organic chemistry lab, which replaced traditional lab class with an internship in a professor’s reserch lab. I wanted to work with Dr. Taber, but he said my grades weren’t good enough. I should ask Dr. Heck, an older professor approaching retirement ha ha ha. This was in 1982. Decades later, in 2010, when I was working in Korea, I opened up Yahoo news and discovered Dr. Heck had been given the Nobel Prize for his work on Palladium-catalyzed reactions. Ha ha ha, my friends said that he would have gotten the prize decades earlier if I had not worked in his lab.

ron

Last edited by bachrocks; 07-04-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:06 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachrocks View Post
Serge, your information about tube rectification is awesome. Thank you.

JBT, can you in any way describe the difference in sound between your Mac system and the PL you listened to? Of course, I understand you did not compare the two in a controlled context, but maybe you could say whether you’d be happy replacing your beloved Macintosh 275 and 2200 with Primaluna 400s. And thanks for your kind comment about enjoying music. Ha ha ha, as I’ve only got an Astell&Kern AK120 filled with Hires files and Sennheiser HD650 headphones, I feel I only listen to music, not really enjoy it ha ha ha. But someday, I will have a beautiful system again.

Wes, thank you so much for your thoughts. And I’m so happy to hear that you and your wife continue to be living what I imagine is a very beautiful life together!

Puma Cat, your biochemistry story is funny. It reminded me of my college days. As a second year chemistry student, I wanted to take an honors section of second semester organic chemistry lab, which replaced traditional lab class with an internship in a professor’s reserch lab. I wanted to work with Dr. Taber, but he said my grades weren’t good enough. I should ask Dr. Heck, an older professor approaching retirement ha ha ha. This was in 1982. Decades later, in 2010, when I was working in Korea, I opened up Yahoo news and discovered Dr. Heck had been given the Nobel Prize for his work on Palladium-catalyzed reactions. Ha ha ha, my friends said that he would have gotten the prize decades earlier if I had not worked in his lab.

ron
Ron, I really couldn't describe the difference after only a 30 minute session with the all Prima Luna system. I wouldn't replace my Mcintosh system with an all Primaluna system. Not because it didn't sound as good, but I've had the 275v6 and c2200 for years. If I was starting over I would consider going with Primaluna. You can get the Evo 400 integrated amp for 5 thousand and the Dac for 3. Great system and much cheaper than Mcintosh. The system I headr sounded amazing. The only thing that worries me about the DAC is the Tube clock is solder in so when the tube goes bad most people would have to send it back to the dealer or designated repair shop to get a new one installed

Good luck with your decision and it's great that you're enjoying music again!

Last edited by JBT; 07-06-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:13 AM

JBT, thank you very much for your helpful comments. I will seriously consider Primaluna when I put together my next audio system. Hearing someone with great tube gear from McIntosh praise Primaluna so is the most valuable and trustworthy review for me.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:14 PM

So a follow-up to the question on the Pl Evo 100 Dac. I traded emails with the US distributor about the clock tube. The reply came back that the tube will last the life of the unit. In the off chance that the tube failed, it would have to be replaced by a certified technician. I was told before by a dealer that it would last about 10 years, but the US distributor said that it should last for the life of the unit. I suppose if you could buy a back up tube inexpensively, any competent electronics technician could make the swap. I’m intrigued... again.

Last edited by JWH; 07-16-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
So a follow-up to the question on the Pl Evo 100 Dac. I traded emails with the US distributor about the clock tube. The reply came back that the tube will last the life of the unit. In the off chance that the tube failed, it would have to be replaced by a certified technician. I was told before by a dealer that it would last about 10 years, but the US distributor said that it should last for the life of the unit. I suppose if you could buy a back up tube inexpensively, any competent electronics technician could make the swap. I’m intrigued... again.

When I called Upscale Audio that's what they told me too. Still waiting on my Dealer to get a showroom model I can take home for a couple days to see how it sounds in a Mcintosh system before I order
Old 07-16-2019, 06:46 PM

Another review on the Evo 100. Not sure what language it's in so I'm only going to translate the conclusion

The last word
With the PrimaLuna EvoLution EVO 100 DAC, technology is quickly forgotten and the emphasis shifts to play and music. As it should be and what not every DAC can meet, regardless of the price range. Sometimes technology has the upper hand and offering options such as various filters, DSD, MQA, analogue inputs, volume control, etc. has a higher priority, in order to impress the volatile or less well-known buyer. That is something that no PrimaLuna has been seduced into. It is music, music and more music that matters. The EvoLution EVO 100 DAC has been playing with great pleasure for many hours. As I am used to from a brand like PrimaLuna without any failures and knowing the reputation, it will stay that way for years to come.

The EvoLution EVO 100 DAC can, in my opinion, play in the main class and will certainly be a welcome addition to the set for owners of PrimaLuna amplifiers. For everyone else, the EvoLution EVO 100 DAC may be the first PrimaLuna product in the house, with this display quality certainly not the last. And it may be the only device that has tubes in it, a tube amplifier next to it may be very nice, but it is not really necessary.

https://www.hifi.nl/artikel/28052/Re...Converter.html
Old 07-16-2019, 07:46 PM

Nice, that appears to be Dutch. Makes sense, I think their main design engineer is Dutch. My nearest dealer wasn’t sure when they would have a demo in but I would like to try the same thing as you. Get it home and give it a listen. I wonder if all the dealer network offer the same 30 day moneyback guarantee as Upscale Audio. According to their website there’s no restocking fee on PrimaLuna products.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Nice, that appears to be Dutch. Makes sense, I think their main design engineer is Dutch. My nearest dealer wasn’t sure when they would have a demo in but I would like to try the same thing as you. Get it home and give it a listen. I wonder if all the dealer network offer the same 30 day moneyback guarantee as Upscale Audio. According to their website there’s no restocking fee on PrimaLuna products.
I suspect the dealers will honor Upscale Audio's 30 days money back on new Products.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:

ON another forum I read a member had a dealer do a shootout with the PrimaLuna Dac and the PS Direct Stream Dac and he liked the Luna Dac better. More analogue sounding to him. Thought the Direct Stream is the warmer sounding of the two which surprised him because the Luna has tubes.