AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 10-18-2010, 01:13 AM

Question PMC TB2i vs B&W 805 Diamond

I currently have the Bowers and Wilkins 805 Diamonds, I and looking for a change. I am stuck in my home office so at this point i am limited to a "bookshelf" speaker. One reason i am considering a switch is that i feel like my 805d's where really over priced and i feel like some other speakers at a smaller price point could be just as good or better than what i've got. I have been reading about PMC as a company and the TB2i speaker in particular. I would like a little more bass and from what i have read i might be able to benefit from PMC's ATL concept. At about half the price of my current 805d's i could probably sell them and have enough money left to put forwards my dream MCD500 CD player!!! I would really like some feed back on what choice i should make and some views on B&W vs PMC as companys...
Thank You for your time!

Last edited by Chris_is1st; 10-18-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Chris,

I think you will find that the TB2i will compete nicely against the 805d.
For the difference in price you've got money toward a Mac piece or an integrated from Prima Luna...both great matches with PMC speakers, especially the 90db sensitive TB's. BTW consider while you can the TB2i Signatures.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Definitely the Sigs, surely standard i-series owners will testify to their ability but the sigs are where it's at... 10 year warranty anyone?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 PM

The TB2i's are awesome and have me wanting to look further up the PMC chain...
Old 10-20-2010, 12:19 AM

Dang Streetspirit, your system is lookin' good.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:02 AM

I have the B&W 805s and I wanted to upgrade to a floor stander. My local shop had a good deal on some PMCs so I had an audition. I didn't try out the TB2's you're looking at but I did have a weekend with the OB1i floor standers.

I can tell you that the B&Ws blew the OB1is out of the water. There really was no competition.

My set up consisted of a Naim cd5i, lp12 tt. C220 and MC2102 Mac pre/power set up.

I would be very surprised if the 805Ds did not outperform the TB2's. But of course everyone hears differently so the PMCs might suit your needs and set up.

I think the OB1i's would have done well under a different set up.

I am sure you already know this but make sure you audition at home.

Eddie :-)
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@pmc View Post
Dang Streetspirit, your system is lookin' good.
Thanks Ian. Slowly but surely I've built it up and now we're rocking the house!

Mitch
Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiel View Post
I have the B&W 805s and I wanted to upgrade to a floor stander. My local shop had a good deal on some PMCs so I had an audition. I didn't try out the TB2's you're looking at but I did have a weekend with the OB1i floor standers.

I can tell you that the B&Ws blew the OB1is out of the water. There really was no competition.

My set up consisted of a Naim cd5i, lp12 tt. C220 and MC2102 Mac pre/power set up.

I would be very surprised if the 805Ds did not outperform the TB2's. But of course everyone hears differently so the PMCs might suit your needs and set up.

I think the OB1i's would have done well under a different set up.

I am sure you already know this but make sure you audition at home.

Eddie :-)
Hey Eddie, Thanks for the reply and advice! I have considered a floor stander also, the 804 diamond in particular. I would really love to audition a few different speakers at home but I have very limited resources (the closest Hi-Fi dealer is 300 miles away). I feel like I’m the only one in about a 300 mile radius that doesn't think that the Bose wave radio is the epitome of Hi-end audio! I will definitely consider your thoughts on PMC vs. B&W, by the way what B&W floor standers were you comparing the OB1i to?
Old 10-22-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_is1st View Post
Hey Eddie, Thanks for the reply and advice! I have considered a floor stander also, the 804 diamond in particular. I would really love to audition a few different speakers at home but I have very limited resources (the closest Hi-Fi dealer is 300 miles away). I feel like I’m the only one in about a 300 mile radius that doesn't think that the Bose wave radio is the epitome of Hi-end audio! I will definitely consider your thoughts on PMC vs. B&W, by the way what B&W floor standers were you comparing the OB1i to?
Actually I was comparing the 805s bookshelf speakers to the OB1i's!

The OB1i's are a good speaker but they didn't work well with my McIntosh set up.

It can be tough living far away from a good dealer. Many good dealers will still allow you to return the item but it doesn't make it easier if you have to bring them back or post them!

Good luck on your search.

Eddie