AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-24-2019, 03:29 PM

Default Most wanted new McIntosh product?

McIntosh seems to be putting out a lot of new products lately, so I thought I’d start a thread for new products you’d most like to see...

My #1 request is a soundbar.

I know a soundbar is not home theater quality but everyone has a tv mounted to a wall somewhere that ding a soundbar below improves the audio. I’m not looking for a crazy surround system in my bedroom so I bought a Samsung HWF-750 because it integrated with my TV and it had vaccuum tubes that looked cool when turned on. Hey, if
You’re going to hang it on your bedroom wall, you might as well pick something that looks good too!

A basic 42”-65” wide soundbar with a glowing Meter in the center and mounts flat to the wall would be a homerun for me. Ive got much nicer mcintosh gear on other rooms of the house but a simple and clean soundbar to enhance the tv would be an easy purchase for me. I dont want inwall or stands with speakers, wiring, amps, processors...just a true all in one unit ready to play. If I can stream music from my tablet, even better, but I can’t imagine needing any other features.

McIntosh seems to be doing more and more with integrated lately, and they already have excellent speaker technology and components, shouldnt be that much of a leap to produce something...
Old 01-24-2019, 08:43 PM

I have a few items I would like to see:

1. Replace the MCD350 with a CD player or transport that is the same height as a D150 and that costs about as much as a D150. It also shouldn't have any knobs due to size.

2. A preamp the same size as a C47 but with meters like the D1100 and make the onboard DAC the DA1 DAC module.

3. A shallow depth amplifier like the MC252 and with knobs, not those buttons that the MC152 has.

4. Reintroduce the MDA700 standalone DAC with the same size and design but upgraded guts of course. Don't add any knobs and leave it with a fixed output. In my opinion, a D1100 or a D150 combined with another preamp looks funny because you basically have a system with two preamps.

5. A two channel preamp with a DA1 DAC and a TM3 tuner.

I could keep going but these are a few things I would like to see that would give more options for people.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:35 PM

Cool

600 watt 2 channel large chassis amp, probably wouldn't happen with the 601s these days
400 watt 3 channel large chassis amp to replace MC303
300 watt 4 channel large chassis amp=
200 watt+ 5 and 7 large chassis amps?
MC2301 replacement/upgrade? If it ain't broke don't fix it, I agree. More power can it be had?

MVP901 is pretty much out of date and priced through the roof for not being UHD. I understand with Oppo no more... now what? The price of this really should come way down if they are going to ride it out and not replace it.

As I look at my Pro-Ject RPM10 Carbon and big Mac amps I wonder if a bigger MT1100 or whatever beast of a turn table as a step up from the MT10 would be cool.

If you haven't figured it out, I love the big chassis Mac gear! Give me more!

A C1100 in a large single chassis with thick glass, handles would be totally cool with me.. And why not?! Stacked they are nearly the same height. Simplify it, give it some presence. I know it's new and will stick around for some time. Just dreaming here. I'd gladly give my C1100 for a large chassis matching piece to the big amps.

MCT1100? We like meters. We like knobs. We dislike USB on the front. Haha. A meter matching MCT would be cool to go with the meters on the D1100. Or a big chassis all in one? I know... I'm getting crazy..

Id have to think the HT processors are due for a change here this year. The MPC1500 has been out for a bit, they will probably ride that one out too. Again to go with the theme... big chassis, big handles, thick glass replacements for those? That be cool..

Last edited by RaceCarDriver; 01-24-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:26 PM

Default McIntosh

Never owned McIntosh, so I am a lurker. But I have always admired their integrated amplifiers as well as the D1100.
So, add a line-level analog input or two to the D1100.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Never owned McIntosh, so I am a lurker. But I have always admired their integrated amplifiers as well as the D1100.
So, add a line-level analog input or two to the D1100.
I believe that you have hit upon a hole in the Mac lineup. I have felt for a long time that Mac needs a minimalist reference level solid state preamp akin to the tube C1100, i.e. a minimalist 2-piece dual mono reference level solid state preamp. I never liked tubes or vinyl growing up. I liked tape much better and loved my dad's Tanberg 64X tape deck. Back then you could buy prerecorded tapes which sounded better than vinyl by far. I did not like record scratch, rumble, and having to constantly clean the vinyl and the needle and deal with replacing tubes and the heat. I understand why folks like tubes and vinyl. They have a more natural sound but I think if you look at the really expensive high end like Dag, Burmester, Boulder, Accuphase, or Esoteric, most of it is solid state. There's a reason for this. It is very difficult to achieve live performance sound levels with tubes other than with highly efficient horn speakers and solid state these days is very very good and very convenient. Mac are you listening?

Last edited by Charles; 01-25-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I believe that you have hit upon a hole in the Mac lineup. I have felt for a long time that Mac needs a minimalist reference level solid state preamp akin to the tube C1100, i.e. a minimalist 2-piece dual mono reference level solid state preamp. ...Mac are you listening?
Agreed. I use the OPPO HA-1 because it is well designed - a minimalist unit built for new audiophiles. Has analog inputs as well.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 01-26-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:43 PM

1- I have been waiting for the mvp-911 for a couple of years now. Mvp-901 was unexpected and made no sense because at the time of its release there were already 4K UHD discs. Also, please bring HDCD decoding back to the new machine.

2- An all analog electronic cross over similar to Pass Labs Xvr-1 or bryston 10b. Name suggestion, mxr-10. It would be even better to integrate this functionality into c1100 successor.

3- mx-170 ssp with mct output for the main L and R along with a volume control signal. Similar to what Theta has on Casablanca and generation viii dac. You could bypass the inferior front L and R dacs of the SSP. Perhaps another MCT output for Center and Sub. Note: this is too enthusiastic and will never happen.

4- ms505 music streamer with 5 zones. Both hardware and software are there in ms500, they just need to add 4 pairs of rca.

5- vp-1100 video processor. Just rebadge a lumagen radiance pro and place it inside a fancy box with glass front.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:55 PM
Blown & Injected

Well we have amps with cup holders and carbon fiber, wifi speakers, and now a throwback combo unit ... why not a sound bar?
Old 01-25-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
Well we have amps with cup holders and carbon fiber, wifi speakers, and now a throwback combo unit ... why not a sound bar?

The sound bar (bedroom tv) would go great with the wifi speaker placed on the bathroom counter so you can keep listening to your morning show or get-ready music!

I considered the McAire and a connected RS100 for the bathroom counter but just didnt like the overall sound of the McAire. The mxa80 is too big to fit nicely in the bedroom (although perfect for an office). Overall I’m impressed with the McIntosh Lifestyle line...just hoping they keep adding to it!
Old 01-25-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille162 View Post
McIntosh seems to be putting out a lot of new products lately, so I thought I’d start a thread for new products you’d most like to see...

My #1 request is a soundbar.

I know a soundbar is not home theater quality but everyone has a tv mounted to a wall somewhere that ding a soundbar below improves the audio. I’m not looking for a crazy surround system in my bedroom so I bought a Samsung HWF-750 because it integrated with my TV and it had vaccuum tubes that looked cool when turned on. Hey, if
You’re going to hang it on your bedroom wall, you might as well pick something that looks good too!

A basic 42”-65” wide soundbar with a glowing Meter in the center and mounts flat to the wall would be a homerun for me. Ive got much nicer mcintosh gear on other rooms of the house but a simple and clean soundbar to enhance the tv would be an easy purchase for me. I dont want inwall or stands with speakers, wiring, amps, processors...just a true all in one unit ready to play. If I can stream music from my tablet, even better, but I can’t imagine needing any other features.

McIntosh seems to be doing more and more with integrated lately, and they already have excellent speaker technology and components, shouldnt be that much of a leap to produce something...