AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-15-2018, 04:10 PM

I sold my Aurender N100H and bought a Lumin S1 streamer/DAC and the Lumin L1 NAS. A very big sound and huge improvement over the Aurender. To be fair, the Aurender doesn’t have an internal DAC and isn’t in the same league as the S1.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:32 PM

The Aurender through a good DAC has a large sound stage
Old 04-15-2018, 04:46 PM

I've been using a Sonos Connect thru my MDA1000 DAC for years and was happy. Then I stumbled upon a Modded Sonos Connect from some outfit in Cali...I thought that was a big step up in Sound Quality. This weekend I picked up a new toy, A Bluesound Vault 2 running thru the digital in of my MA8000...I just started playing with it so an update will be forthcoming but I'm looking forward to listening to MQA off Tidal...

Jimmy
BEDROOM: Naim Uniti Atom, Nordost Cables, Harbeth P3ESR
Old 04-15-2018, 07:14 PM

Default Sonos

We use a variety of Sonos products, including the Connect. I use the coax output into the outboard DAC. So, if you like your DAC then you should be good.
Sonos does very well with 3rd party integration (Spotify, etc) - something to consider.

But, if you want to move to the newer formats (e.g. MQA), then a switch could work out very well.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 04-16-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
I sold my Aurender N100H and bought a Lumin S1 streamer/DAC and the Lumin L1 NAS. A very big sound and huge improvement over the Aurender. To be fair, the Aurender doesn’t have an internal DAC and isn’t in the same league as the S1.

You can’t really compare N100H with S1 as they aren’t even the similar product. What DAC were you using with N100H?
Old 04-16-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
I have a fairly simple self contained set-up.

2010 MacBookPro with a 500 gb SSD and 8 gigs of RAM that's fed into a C2500 dac via USB or Toslink. CD's are ripped on a 2008 MacPro via dbpoweramp in the AIFF format.

With over 800 albums there's only about 40 gb left so a 1 tb ssd would have been a better choice. Easy to change out; a 1tb is around $250 at newegg.

Also using Amarra 4.0 luxe as the player. The revision of the last month or so had some initial glitches but now it's been flawless.

I do from time to time think of "upgrading" the server but overall a lot of bang for the buck!
I have used iTunes as my app for storing my CDs and purchased downloads, in AIFF files. I use Roon to play back that, and my streamed content from Tidal...on a Windows10Pro machine. Before I got going with iTunes, I purchased a pair of 4 TB Western Digital external USB-connected hard drives (one I store the music files on and have attached when Roon is running, the other just with the music files...a backup, which lives in my fire safe). Since these drives are so inexpensive, having two of the identical model made sense to me...never to lose any of the files I've stored).

The Western Digital drives I own are no longer a current model. It looks like they've been replaced with this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16822236807

I usually wouldn't go for "inexpensive" drives, but having two of them, I feel protected from a catastrophic failure...or if my house burned down.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 04-16-2018, 05:26 PM

EJR1953-

Agree on the back-up. My rips are direct to an external drive and backed-up to a second. They are then brought over to the laptop. Haven't thought about a fire safe...humm...

Good price on the WD external drives you linked to.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkoz View Post
I went with the Aurender A10 and have been VERY pleased. It is a one box solution that I am confident will meet my expectations for years to come.
Ed
And you kept your MS 300? I still see you still have it listed.....
Old 04-17-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
And you kept your MS 300? I still see you still have it listed.....
Yup! Still have the MS300. Just don't want to let it go.
Ed
2 Channel - Esoteric KO3, VPI Classic, C2300, MS300, MEN220, Bryston 7b SST, B&W 802D, JL F113 (2), MDA 1000, Olive 4HD, Sonos w/Remedy, WW Silver Eclipse ICs , Stillpoints Ultra mini, MR85 tuner, Aurender A10 server

Headphone listening
- Audeze LCD3 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced cables, Sennheiser HD650, WW silver Eclipse Nano cable, Bryston BHA-1 amp

HT -
MX135, OPPO 103D, B&W CDM7, B&W center, Sony 65" LCD
Old 04-17-2018, 03:57 PM

I purchased an Autonomic MMS-5A a few weeks before the McIntosh MB100 was released. The MB100 is basically a modified MMA-5A, with the software from Autonomic.

For the time, that was a great option, but the Autonomic iPad app is somewhat "dated" in it's appearance.

I do like the way Roon operates, and it's excellent at integrating the metadata, album art, and the way it combines the "purchased" library with Tidal is very good.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling