AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Paradigm

Paradigm All about the Sound

Old 05-24-2014, 01:53 PM

Default Paradigm S1 V.3 with Seismic 110 Sub--Outstanding Small Speaker System

I'm writing this mini-review of the S1 v.3 and Seismic 110 combo because I have generally only read about these speakers being used in a home theater context with transistor amps. I did read one review of the S1 v.3 driven with a hybrid tube integrated amp, but it has only been hinted at in another review that I'm aware of, that the S1 would be an good match with tube amps.

I own a pair of Paradigm Signature S1 v.3 speakers on Paradigm stands with a Seismic 110 subwoofer which reside in my small office. I have found the S1 to be a superb small monitor for near-field listening. I love the sound that this small accurate speaker system can produce for two channel listening with medium power tube amps for jazz or Pop music or the best SS amps for larger orchestral works.

The S1 presents a smooth impedance curve throughout the midrange, never dropping below 3 ohms with a gradual rise to 16 ohm at 4k. In my experience the S1v.3, 90dB efficiency, works well with medium-powered tube amps--I use the 4 ohm taps.

Paradigm has made a serious assault on the "state of the art" for a very small monitor speaker here in the S1! The outstanding performance of the S1 v.3 and Seismic 110 are due to the many cutting-edge technological factors that are incorporated into this speaker system:

Cabinets: Both S1 and Seismic 110 cabinets are constructed from highly rigid, die-cast aluminum (only 5mm thick but very well braced), using non-parallel sides with a curved aircraft-wing-shaped cabinet for the S1 and an arch-shaped cabinet for the Seismic 110. Both combine constrained layer damping and Permacote Linacoustic damping inside sealed cabinets. In that the S1 cabinets are sealed without ports, the speakers can be placed close to walls without much penalty to the sound.

S1 Drivers: Dome tweeters are constructed of super light and rigid pure beryllium foil with alined grain structure driven by neodymium magnets. Tweeters are housed within their own finned chambers to dissipate vibration. The Mid-range/woofer magnet structure also uses neodymium with woofer baskets cast into the aluminum baffle boards(!) to better help with cooling of the drivers. The aluminum cabinets function as heat sinks to dissipate the heat generated from the 6" drivers to help them remain linear under high power use. Mid-range/woofers have special Santoprene, corrogated surrounds that extend linear cone excursion by 50%, with anodized cones composed of proprietary cobalt-infused aluminum to enhance rigidity and damping. Paradigm manufactures all their own drivers in house to insure a high-level of quality control.

Subwoofer: The Seismic 110 cast-frame 10" woofer has a inverse differential-drive, split voice-coil design with triple-ring hard-ferrite magnet, double Nomex spiders, and a corrugated Santoprene, inverted surround that allows up to 2" of linear excursion of the flat diaphragm (less than 10% distortion at 20hz). The Seismic 110 is driven by a built in, 850 watt RMS, class-D power amp. Perfect Bass Kit interfaces with a Windows computer--XP or Visa OS--a calibrated microphone, and a subwoofer USB port to set equalization of bass frequencies (both boost and cut) to your listening room. (Paradigm has thought of everything with the exception of the stock, cheap plastic subwoofer feet--they should be replaced with the $50, SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System feet).

The Sound: The sound of the S1/Seismic 110 combination is surprisingly BIG with very good dynamics and bass for the size of the system. Remarkable is the sense of scale – that is, images sound so much bigger than the speaker"s diminutive size. The S1's have superb transparency and imaging with high clarity that is neutral and uncolored--really reveals the sound of your electronics and cabling. Sweet, accurate, high-clarity midrange with smooth, quick and non-fatiguing high frequencies with a good push-pull tube power amp or the best SS electronics. These speakers, like other outstanding two-way monitors, do a disappearing act! Concert hall ambience in live recordings and reverb tails in studio recording are easy to hear and create engaging listening. Bass from the Seismic 110 sub makes a seamless transition to the S1s (cross-over set to 90 Hz) with very controlled, non-boomy and powerful (when the recording calls for it) bass fundamentals. The PBK-1 room equalization system further improves this excellent small sub. Also, with high-current transistor amps, as Paradigm recommends for the best lows, the S1's bass is surprisingly powerful even without the subwoofer. This system will play quite loud without breaking up. The high clarity and transparency of the S1 combined with the sweetness of a well-matched tube preamp/power amp combination or the best SS amps is a joy to listen to through the S1/Seismic 110 combo on a wide variety of music from classical, to jazz, to rock--you name it really! Satisfying, extended listening sessions and something I really look forward to returning to again and again..

Reviews:

SoundStage! Equipment Review -Paradigm Reference Signature S1 v.2 Loudspeakers (12/2007)

Paradigm Signature S1 V3 Standmount Speakers REVIEW

Paradigm Reference Signature S1 Small Monitor and Seismic 10 Subwoofer

Last edited by Steady339; 08-02-2020 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Revision and editing