AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 AM

I'm looking forward hearing your impressions and how you liked the different amps in this set up.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 AM

Yeah, we are almost as excited as you are. BTW, do you have any delivery date confirmed for the O3?

Last edited by Vico26; 01-13-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 AM

No confirmed date yet. But hopefully end of the month.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:25 PM

I will give the Nordost Heimdall 2 speaker cablers a chance in my system. They will send me a set that has undergone the Vidar treatment . Will let you know as soon as I have them hooked up.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 AM

Hey Chaq, Bigblue!
Do you have any results to share? Devialet? Heimdall?
V
Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Sorry I was busy the past couple of days so I couldn't post my thoughts of the auditions.

Before I start I just want to say that I can not express how much I love the O3. They are booked and should get them by the end of the month.

The first day of the audition was not conclusive for me as there were some issues:

1. The room that the audition took place in was larger than when I auditioned the O2.
2. The O3 had less than 8 hours on them (but still sounded excellent).
3. The dealer did not have the Devialet 170 on demo so we listened to the 110s.
4. There were static from the NAP250 so we ended up driving the speakers with just the UnitiLite (which will not bring out a fraction of the O3 capabilities)

So I started with the Dev streaming my music through a Mac using the VLC player and something didn't feel right. I guess another program should have been used instead because I felt that the dac of the laptop may have been interfering. Half an hour later, the wifi got disconnected for some reason and we had to shift to the Naim. As soon as I hit play, the smile was back and was enjoying the music more. I left thinking that I should stick to Naim but I had to give the Dev another chance.

Next day, I went and they had shifted the O3 to the smaller room. There was no static there. So we started with the UnitiLite plus NAP250 and I had an even bigger smile (expected, with the dedicated more powerful amp). I was 90% sure I was walking out with the NAP250. To be fair to the Dev, since I was not able to play my music through a USB and it was not connected to the Ethernet I had brought in a CD with me. I first played it using the Naim and then through a CD player connected to the Dev. I was amazed by the clarity and soundstage that the Dev threw. Naim was warm and musical, but Dev was faster, clearer and more neutral. No matter how high the volume went the Dev never distorted and felt limitless. And this is only the 110. The 170 will be even clearer, will throw a wider soundstage and will be a better match for the O3, I think. I still love the Naim sound and will be missing the convenience of the UnitiLite but decided to go with the Dev170. I am going to collect it this evening and use it with my Toy Towers until the O3 arrive.

Just thought I'd share my experience with you. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 AM

Wow. Now this was quick. Really quick. Wow.
I am stunned.
So you certainly didnt hear any "digital" color with the Dev, right? Would the 110 would be enough to make the O3s sing? Did you feel the rythm with Dev? Everybody is talking about better rythm with Naim gears... What kind of music have you tried?
Wow...

Let me know your impressions with the Toy towers. I ve heard the break-in period is so looooooooong with Dev, so dont be surprised it wont be perfect from the box.

Thanks for your report, man
Old 01-15-2014, 08:18 AM

I am not influenced (hehe), but I ve just booked the Dev 110 or 170 for home trial for 15-16.2.2014 .
I hope the speakers will be broken in enough already...
v.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico26 View Post
Wow. Now this was quick. Really quick. Wow.
I am stunned.
So you certainly didnt hear any "digital" color with the Dev, right? Would the 110 would be enough to make the O3s sing? Did you feel the rythm with Dev? Everybody is talking about better rythm with Naim gears... What kind of music have you tried?
Wow...

Let me know your impressions with the Toy towers. I ve heard the break-in period is so looooooooong with Dev, so dont be surprised it wont be perfect from the box.

Thanks for your report, man
Hahaha. I know.

I haven't heard the 170 but I think the 110 is enough to drive the speakers but you will get more out of the O3 with the 170.

I felt the rythm but in a more neutral way. Where the Naim has a warmer sound but not as clear. You can't have both, I guess.

The 170 is in so much demand that the factory cannot commit to a delivery time and my dealer only has one piece. Where as he has more than 2 110s. Another point is that with Devs you can always update it when new technologies are introduced. So they left room for improvement later on. Like the room correction, they might introduce it later on and you can utilise that with the same model that you have.

I have tried some instrumental tracks. Like piano, guitar with bass, sax.

I'll let you know how they will interact with the Toys. I hope I have done the right decision.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:36 AM

Delivery date confirmed by the end of the next week! ;-)

Last edited by Vico26; 01-16-2014 at 09:19 AM.