AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 10-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Following REL's strong recommendation in favour of high-level inputs' usage, I simply followed that way from the very begining (less than a year).

I run LF signal interconnects from Phantom to additional power amp (tried several, at the moment I have Rotel RB-1090 on that position), which (via Rotel's speaker terminals, of course) feeds both RELs (Neutric Speakon plugs into the REL's high-level input), left and right channel independently.

HF signal part, of course, runs from the Phantom to the Evo 400e blocks and further towards main speakers, regular way.

Options to test in future: 1) active crossover "on", just like it is now, but try REL's low-level connection sockets, with longer RCA interconnects from Phantom directly to RELs (not additional power amp in the chain now) 2) active crossover "off", while both main speaker's and REL's high-input cable ends hooked simultaneously into the Evo-400e speaker terminals.

My Krells are all black.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:22 PM

Interesting how you have it hooked up. Current setup is using the Rotel stereo amp as a "via" point. I would think that would add additional "flavor" or coloration to the signal going to the subs...

If anything, option 1 would provide for more direct connection (Maybe XLR is better choice for less noise pickup) while fully utilizing Krell crossover. When I get mine (without crossover), option 2 would be my setup. I currently have my single G1 connected to my 302e.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
... Current setup is using the Rotel stereo amp as a "via" point. I would think that would add additional "flavor" or coloration to the signal going to the subs...
Steve, please clarify: saying "additional flavor", do you allude to 1) presence of any additional power amp in the chain, or 2) employing apparently lesser amp on such a critical position, instead of, say, another Krell..??

1) As I said, I just follow REL's strong recommendation of high-level inputs as the optimal way to hook up subs, in order to preserve the best timing.

2) I understand, but this is "only bass"... Actually, the critical issue is whether a lesser amp like Rotel, positioned between the Phantom and RELs, will "corrupt" the LF signal sound quality come from Phantom, or will not. My opinion is that the RELs will perform their own task as good as they can, with a relatively minor influence from the power amp that feeds them with the LF signal come from the Phantom. BTW, Rotel RB-1090 is maybe not Krell, but is far from slouch with 380Wpc, 2x1,25 kVA transformers etc, which is more than enough to feed RELs with decent amount of current. I am still far from any idea to consider another Krell on that position, since I am fully satisfied with the present solution, at least for now... Maybe, one beautiful day, but not soon, for sure.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:32 PM

At the risk of hijacking this thread into Rel, I will try to clarify my question... I thought the beauty of Rel's connection was to have both the sub and the mains to take on same sonic character by hooking up to the last of the signal chain - the amplifier. So, regardless of the "quality" of the amp, connecting to a Rotel would provide Rel with Rotel sound while the mains are taking on the sonics of Krell. In the end, it probably won't matter, but at least on theoretical grounds, it may be different.
For example, if you did the same but used MC2301 instead of Rotel, you would have Rel taking on the bass sonic quality of MC2301 which may be different than what Krell 400e may provide. And that difference may be more pronounced as the Rel crossover is increased to higher level. Just a thought
As an audiophile, we do worry about specs a lot - like pico vs femtoseconds of jitter. May not even make an audible difference, but still fun to talk about.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:23 PM

Understood... The ultimate truth obviously may be seen only one way - hook up another Krell instead of Rotel. One beautiful day...

But right now, I am frankly suspicious to listenability (audibility) treshold of differences between any two good SS amps on critical position we discuss. In fact, this is only bass... which means much smaller range of parameters sound wise in which Krell will likely outperform Rotel...
Old 03-04-2014, 10:40 AM

Does any one know how the Krell EVO 202 compares to MBL 6010D
Old 06-19-2014, 07:11 AM

I heard the Krell KCT (which is great) and bought the Krell Phantom (which is better). I never heard the 202.

Looking at the specs, the Phantom has a better power supply than the 202 and a little bit lower harmonic distortion. The Krell Illusion has the same specs as the Phantom and just a new chassis.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:54 PM

Hi Guys!! My name is daniel and i'm writing from italy, so sorry for my orrible english!!! I hope you will understand the same.
I am a fan of krell electronics; i would like to know if anyone of you have try the new amp illusion II.
Thanks for any informations you will give to me.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:00 PM

Hello,

My current problem is that i first purchased the KRELL TAS and the KRELL HTS 7.1 for home theatre use. Then i purchased some good speakers, the Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution, and decided to bridge the Krell TAS to 2x400W at 8ohms and use the HTS 7.1 in preamp mode to listen to music. Later on, i purchased the Krell Evo 505 cd player. But now, since the HTS 7.1 is a processor and not a stereo preamp, and the evo 202 being one of the best stereo preamp out there, i was wondering how big the difference would be if i replaced the HTS 7.1 with the EVO 202 in my system...
I would really appreciate to see your point of view on that.

Thank you!
Old 01-21-2015, 04:54 PM
I don't know a thing!

I don't believe the hts has a 2ch pass through. The 202 should except the cast connections from the 505 and will not alter the signal while the hts will process it again. If that is the case the 202 should be a major step up.

Krell EVO 707, Krell EVO 600(3), B&W 800D, B&W HTM1D, Submersive F2(4), SOtM tX-USBexp>>Berkeley Alpha USB>>Berkeley Alpha DAC2, PsAudio PPP, PsAudio Soloist Premier SE..Nordost(CAST), Cardas clear, Shunyata, Billy Bags, Symposium, GIK acoustics\IEM:Westone ES5, Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, RSA SR-71B, Toxic Cables