AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:37 AM

Trust me, they run out of juice. Perhaps not as easy compared to when I plugged in Audeze LCD-X, but they run out on a loud and busy song with a lot of fun bass. Andromeda can play louder than I care but they get sloppy fast at around 60% volume.
I'm guessing it's the amp.
I'm also not looking for hurting my ears loud, just wondering which direction to look for should I want to push for higher quality sound.

I had no idea the DAC is good in the iphone, good to know that's not the probable bottleneck.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Trust me, they run out of juice. Perhaps not as easy compared to when I plugged in Audeze LCD-X, but they run out on a loud and busy song with a lot of fun bass. Andromeda can play louder than I care but they get sloppy fast at around 60% volume.
I'm guessing it's the amp.
I'm also not looking for hurting my ears loud, just wondering which direction to look for should I want to push for higher quality sound.

I had no idea the DAC is good in the iphone, good to know that's not the probable bottleneck.
Take it easy with the headphones if you value your hearing. It is much louder than you may think it is if your 112dB efficient headphones are running out of juice.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:51 AM

Something you might want to consider is the Onkyo DP-X1, or whatever is the most current successor to it. It sounds great, can hold 432 GB of music, has both single end and balanced outputs, a lot of power and great sound. I believe Ivan is now an Onkyo dealer so he may be able to get it for you. The battery easily covers a trans-continental flight. I use it mostly with Noble Kaiser Encore and Shure se 535 Ltd IEMs, but also with Senns HD 650 and Beyerdynamic T5p. The capacity lets me carry a whole lot of 96/24 and 192/24 (as well as 88/24 and 176/24), and also DSD. I think retail now is a little less than $500. With good IEMs (and you have good IEMs (and they don’t have to be CIEMs, mine aren’t)),the sound is astoundingly good. I have a Chord Mojo and don’t even bother using it with the Onkyo (it does sound good in my iPod though), it just doesn’t need it.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:55 AM

They aren't that loud, there is plenty of sloppy juice leftover. I'm not turning them up as loud as they get, bass heavy songs just make it distorted. I couldn't do the same thing with Manitas De Plata since there isn't bass. They'll go clean and loud enough to be uncomfortable.
I don't want the volume to be louder, I want songs to be cleaner/clearer. When there is a lot of bass the songs get distorted.
One nice thing about these is they don't need to be loud because they drown out ambient noise. It's like wearing earplugs.

I'm curious is the amp not doing well with bass, or is it the IEM not doing so well with bass. I'm not exactly listening to rap either. Caroline Rose "Soul No. 5" is a song that's distorting.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
They aren't that loud, there is plenty of sloppy juice leftover. I'm not turning them up as loud as they get, bass heavy songs just make it distorted. I couldn't do the same thing with Manitas De Plata since there isn't bass. They'll go clean and loud enough to be uncomfortable.
I don't want the volume to be louder, I want songs to be cleaner/clearer. When there is a lot of bass the songs get distorted.
One nice thing about these is they don't need to be loud because they drown out ambient noise. It's like wearing earplugs.

I'm curious is the amp not doing well with bass, or is it the IEM not doing so well with bass. I'm not exactly listening to rap either. Caroline Rose "Soul No. 5" is a song that's distorting.
I'm not into IEMs so can't really comment on how well they do bass in general. I would imagine there is a limit of what an IEM can do in terms of bass but chances are at 112dB efficiency, it is not the source but probably the limitation of an IEM style headphone. All I can say is that the 25 ohm/94dB Fostex headphones pounded out clean bass lines from an iPhone that can rattle your skull and teeth not that I'm in the habit of ever listening at such levels but have gotten carried away on a few occasions just for fun.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:48 AM

Does an Ipad pro have a significant amp upgrade over an iphone 6s? If so I could test the amp vs iem to see if it's just a limitation of IEM.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:07 AM

I just answered my own question. The ipad has a better amp, though I don't have a scientific method for testing it.
At similar volumes the ipad isn't giving me distortion on the bass heavy song. If I crank it up past comfort for testing purposes the distortion comes right back but it's louder than I car to listen at.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:21 AM

Mouse, I don’t know about the iPhone amp vs the iPad Pro, but I doubt the limitation is your Shure IEMs. I have the SE535 IEMs: their stated frequency range is 18hz-19khz, and they absolutely deliver the bass with an Astell & Kern AK100 II, and especially when using my Woo WA7 amp - not so much with my iPhone 7. The limitation is your idevice.

By the way, the iPhone 7 is 256gb, but the A&K accepts SD cards, so you can expand the capacity.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 09-12-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I would imagine there is a limit of what an IEM can do in terms of bass but chances are at 112dB efficiency, it is not the source but probably the limitation of an IEM style headphone.

Good multi-driver IEMs, partly because they create a seal in the ear, can deliver excellent deep bass if properly fitted.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 09-12-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Good multi-driver IEMs, partly because they create a seal in the ear, can deliver excellent deep bass if properly fitted.
Good to know Tony, like I said, I am not into IEMs so I am not familiar with their capabilities. I am surprised however that at 112dB efficiency they would need more juice than iPhone can deliver since my 94dB Fostex could muster all the bass slam and loudness level my ears could ever take. Driving the Fostex with any of my other dedicated amps did not really yield any performance advantage from the Fostex.