AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wireworld Cables

Wireworld Cables A World Of Difference

Old 10-19-2011, 02:33 PM

Default Best order to replace power cables

Not sure if this question is too subjective or not, but I'm curious as to the order in which I should replace the power cables in my system as right now, all of mine are stock. Or perhaps, another way to look at it would be, which pieces of equipment would show the most gain from a "premium" power cable? I've heard from a very reliable source that the amps are the place to start. So here's what I'm thinking...

1. Amps
2. Preamp
3. DAC
4. Sources
5. Subwoofer

Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Personally i would upgrade the first 4 on the list.....i dont need/have a subwoofer....so i cant really make an opinion......i would do the Source/Dac first....then the amp/preamps.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 PM

In any particular order? I'm most likely going to get 1 or 2 every other month or so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volks View Post
Personally i would upgrade the first 4 on the list.....i dont need/have a subwoofer....so i cant really make an opinion......i would do the Source/Dac first....then the amp/preamps.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchy View Post
In any particular order? I'm most likely going to get 1 or 2 every other month or so....
Dac/Source at the same time for me and then the amps/preamps at the same time.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:45 PM

Lunchy... When I changed P\C's I noticed the biggest improvement in sound to be on my CD player.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Lunchy...if you go with the preamp or amps first, you'll be able to ascertain the PC's effect on overall system performance with whatever program source you use. I won't tout myself as a reliable source, but in that context I'd do the preamp first.

While it's dicey to debate which, if any, system component is more "critical" or gives you more bang for the buck than any other, in my experience the preamp, being closest to the sources, heavily influences what you hear at the speaker. And if there are differences with a different PC, you'll hear them.

One other consideration is that starting with the preamp obligates you to just one PC initially so you can decide with a relatively minimal investment whether a systemwide upgrade is worth it.

Jim

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 AKM version (to be replaced by inbound Bryston BDA-3), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:54 PM

For me it's the following:
1. Power conditioner / strip
2. Source
3. Pre-amp
4. Power-amp
Old 10-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchy View Post
Not sure if this question is too subjective or not, but I'm curious as to the order in which I should replace the power cables in my system as right now, all of mine are stock. Or perhaps, another way to look at it would be, which pieces of equipment would show the most gain from a "premium" power cable? I've heard from a very reliable source that the amps are the place to start. So here's what I'm thinking...

1. Amps
2. Preamp
3. DAC
4. Sources
5. Subwoofer

Anybody have any thoughts?
Lots of variables here. If you're going to do them all and they'll all be the same model, why not play? Work your way through the system with cord #1 and leave it where it makes the most improvement. Repeat with each new cord. Be sure to also evaluate the order things are plugged into a strip or conditioner. That matters too regardless of the label a manufacturer may put on a given outlet.

Have fun.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite613
Lunchy... When I changed P\C's I noticed the biggest improvement in sound to be on my CD player.
+1