AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 04-07-2019, 05:31 PM

Default Will Denali Filter DC Offset?

I apologize if this has been addressed here, or on other threads in AA, but I'm wondering if the Denali will effectively remove DC from an AC line, or if there is another Shunyata product out there that is specifically designed for this purpose?

My speakers are dead silent with an ear to the drivers, but there is mechanical hum in my MC 8207 that comes and goes depending on time of day, or time of the year. Winter is the worst around here for the situation.

Any advice from the experts would be welcome. I do have a dedicated line for my system, so I'm hypothesizing that it has more to do with what coming in off the grid.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan
Old 04-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

The only equipment, I'm aware of, that will block DC on the AC mains is an isolation transformer. These type filters are produced by Torus, Furman, Richard Grey, to name a few. Check the line with a DVM set to measure DC before you buy one of these they are expensive.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
The only equipment, I'm aware of, that will block DC on the AC mains is an isolation transformer. These type filters are produced by Torus, Furman, Richard Grey, to name a few. Check the line with a DVM set to measure DC before you buy one of these they are expensive.
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into testing beyond what I can do with my multi-meter. It's just a really strange phenomenon. Today, for instance, after the initial transformer rush and 1/2 hour warm up, the amp was dead silent. Last weekend, however, I could hear it humming quite prominently in my listening position in between tracks.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:40 PM

This worked for me — EMOTIVA CMX-2 PRECISION COMMON MODE AC LINE FILTER WITH DC OFFSET ELIMINATOR

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 04-07-2019, 07:44 PM

It was also discussed ad nauseum here — https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44769

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 04-07-2019, 07:49 PM

Ron
Old 04-07-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post

Ron
Yikes! Thanks for the link. I'll look through there, too.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
It was also discussed ad nauseum here — https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44769

Ron
Well - That degenerated quickly! It did answered a few questions, however. Thanks for the link!

My last question: Did anyone notice a loss of dynamic range when they plugged into the Emotiva box? My local dealer has his 2301's plugged into his Denali with great results, but I know that isn't always the case.

Again- apologies if that was mentioned somewhere in that thread that I missed.

Ryan
Old 04-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Ryan - send an email to Shunyata. They’re very good at responding to questions.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjryan View Post
My last question: Did anyone notice a loss of dynamic range when they plugged into the Emotiva box? My local dealer has his 2301's plugged into his Denali with great results, but I know that isn't always the case.
I didn't notice...............but my question would be how would it...............because of a reduction of 1 or so line voltage.

Maybe if your line voltage is <110 would it be a concern. My normal line voltage is 123.

Only you can be the judge.

Ron