AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 07-26-2016, 07:03 AM

you will enjoy the CX5, but keep the CX7 also. (CX7 has a bit more drive, CX5 the wider soundstage)

I sold my CX7e MP to a good friend of mine, still regret it a bit, anyway I can still listen to it in his system :-)
Old 07-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
....plus I still do have quite a few DVD-Audio discs that sound great in high rez.

- Buck
This is the added bonus of this universal player that hardly any other (any other at all, in current production?) is capable of doing.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:12 PM

I do like it as an all in one players.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:42 PM

C-5xeMP arrived yesterday. It is indeed brand new. Even without any burn-in time its certainly the best digital player I've had in the house. I'm now hearing parts in some CDs I've never heard before, the SA-CD performance in knock out too. Listening to a couple of Dean Martin SA-CDs were amazing. If it wasn't for you guys recommendations here I wouldn't have pulled the trigger but oh man I'm so glad I did.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:57 PM

As has been mentioned, that is considered to be one of the finest redbook spinners ever (with the added bonus of being one of the few universal players offered). You were so very fortunate to find one still NIB. I don't think listings for them in the secondary market last long. Here's wishing many years of enjoyment.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:45 PM

Thanks aardvarkbark, when I first saw the listing on German Ebay I thought there must be some catch but after some research it proved to be genuine. It had been listed for over a week so guess I was very lucky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7300104.jpg (85.0 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by AudioGremlin; 07-30-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:06 AM

She's a beauty! Are you missing the astronomy buttons of the 7?

Do you listen to DVD audio? There are some fantastic concerts that are only available on DVD, but not CD. I used to have the Classe universal player, which offered the set-up screen of the DVD so one could select which audio track you wanted (PCM, Dolby, 5.1, etc). On the Ayre, you can toggle through the various audio tracks, but there's some guess work as to which you've chosen since you don't get the screen view. It attempts to select 'best' audio track, but I believe the Owner's Manual recommends toggling through, then making a note in the DVD case as to which you select so you can easily return to it.

Pink Floyd's Pulse is an exceptional DVD (if you like Gilmour and their tunes; the DVD audio track is not the same as on the CD by the same name, FWIW, and I personally prefer the performance on the DVD). The DVD offers a HiRes audio track (one of four options). On the Classe, one could see the four options on the screen and select it. The Ayre defaults to the Dolby stereo track, which sounds muted and dull. But when you toggle through the audio tracks, it is quite obvious when you land on the HiRes track. Even if choices are PCM Stereo, Dolby Stereo, 5.1, I found the PCM to be the brightest and most detailed, but the Ayre would default to the Dolby.

Other DVD concerts not on CD that have excellent two-channel audio tracks (I never watched them, just listened to them): Diana Krall's Live in Rio (Paris is also great, but on CD), Joe Cocker Live in Berlin, Neil Young's Heart of Gold and Eagles Farewell I (sooo much better than Hell Freezes IMO).

Happy listening!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:54 AM

I do miss the 7s front panel functionality a bit but that said I've now got more used to using the 5's remote alongside the Steelheads pre's gain remote. I've not tried a DVD yet but you've now given me the incentive to experiment further, especially with Pulse (I'm a great Pink Floyd fan and my surname is actually Gilmour, sadly no relation) being that I have the Pulse vinyl boxed set that sounds absolutely awsome.
The 5's manual is really excellent, well written and I'm presently reading through it (unusual for me as I usually read the manual last Frustratingly the weather here is hot and with 30+ tubes on the go it makes it sauna type listening so the HD800 has been the weapon of choice lately.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGremlin View Post
C-5xeMP arrived yesterday. It is indeed brand new. Even without any burn-in time its certainly the best digital player I've had in the house. I'm now hearing parts in some CDs I've never heard before, the SA-CD performance in knock out too. Listening to a couple of Dean Martin SA-CDs were amazing. If it wasn't for you guys recommendations here I wouldn't have pulled the trigger but oh man I'm so glad I did.
Congratulations on your great catch.

You will certainly love this player as time goes on and it is burned-in. I bought mine new back in 2009 and after listening to the demo model that my Ayre dealer lent me, my new C5 did not sound as good until it hit 60 hours or so. Then it got better and better, but it was those first 60 hours that made the most difference.

I now primarily use my C5 for playing my collection of SACDs, but also still enjoy it on CDs that I haven't ripped to my music server. In my opinion, it's a classic.

Enjoy
Old 08-04-2016, 09:43 AM

RLF, which do you listen to more, the C-5xeMP or serving your redbook through your N10/PS Audio?