AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > What are you Grilling?

What are you Grilling? What's Cooking

Old 10-14-2013, 11:27 AM
That's a Deusy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Sounds to me like it might be a faulty regulator on the gas (natural gas or LP) line . . . or, more likely, - the check valve in the regulator may have been actuated.

If the check valve has been actuated, gas will flow - but at a much reduced rate - thus keeping your grill from heating properly.

To see if that is the problem (if your grill is running on LP) - remove the gas line from your LP tank and shake the regulator like you would shake a can of spray paint . . . If the check valve has been actuated this should free it and gas would flow normally.

I don't know if the procedure is the same if your grill is natural gas, but I would expect the regulator would operate in similar manner.

If you suspect that the regulator is faulty and shaking it doesn't solve the problem, replace the regulator (inexpensive fix).

Frequently a check valve may be actuated by turning the gas on too rapidly - Turn on the gas slowly.

Hope this works.
Julian Thanks for this my Charmglow behaves in a similar fashion
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 10-14-2013, 01:09 PM
That's a Deusy !

I would insist on athem sending you a new regulator !
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Sounds to me like it might be a faulty regulator on the gas (natural gas or LP) line . . . or, more likely, - the check valve in the regulator may have been actuated.

If the check valve has been actuated, gas will flow - but at a much reduced rate - thus keeping your grill from heating properly.

To see if that is the problem (if your grill is running on LP) - remove the gas line from your LP tank and gently shake the regulator like you would shake a can of spray paint . . . If the check valve has been actuated this should free it and gas would flow normally. Quite possibly the valve will reset itself without the shake - just remove pressure by taking it loose from the tank and it will/might reset. Personally, I'd shake or rock it a a bit.

I don't know if the procedure is the same if your grill is natural gas, but I would expect the regulator would operate in similar manner if one has been installed in your line.

If you suspect that the regulator is faulty and shaking it, or removing the pressure, doesn't solve the problem, replace the regulator (inexpensive fix).

Frequently a check valve may be actuated by turning the gas on too rapidly - Turn on the gas slowly. Or, alternatively, it may actuate when you open the burner valves on your grill before you open the valve on the tank. The regulator "thinks" there is a leak and the check valve actuates. Same process to reset.

Hope this works.

I added a bit to my original post and I'm just bringing it forward.

Charbroil Grills has a trouble shooting guide for dealing with regulator problems at:

My Grill Has Low Flames

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 10-14-2013, 07:36 PM

Check valve shmeck valve. Make sure there aren't any leaks, then just drill through it with a cobalt drill and pretend it isn't even there! On some low pressure connectors, you can disassemble part of it and just remove the pin in the check valve.

Don't tell the fire marshal I said that.

All you need is the regulator. After all, that's all there was before the safety super freaks decided you needed the check valve.

As an alternative, you might drill out the propane orifice to a larger size drill. The number sizes are what you'll need. I think I drilled mine out to a #55 or so if I remember correctly. I think the original propane orifice used to be a #58 or #60 [higher numbers are smaller holes], but my re-drill made a big difference.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:10 PM

I replaced one of the two regulators. Still have same problem. This grill should hit 700f in 10. Min and it won't heat past 400 after 20 min.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 PM
That's a Deusy !

They need to replace that sucker.

Last edited by Doug Lax; 10-15-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:37 PM

15 k for this grill I must be nuts
Old 10-15-2013, 09:39 AM

Do you have a local consumer reporter in your area? Publicity always seems to get the manufacturers attention.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 AM
That's a Deusy !

Reading this post really pisses me off. Your dealer should be genuflexing and sending people out to FIX that rascal.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:59 AM

Kalamazoo is trying to make it right. This grill is handmade and has over 100 k total BTU .I feel everything will work out in the end. This may mean replacing the grill, as per Kalamazoo