AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 AM

I gave it a pretty good run last evening. About 3 hours and the 601's never got more than warm. Which is exactly what they would do when I had both sets connected to the 4 ohm.
Legacy Focus S/E, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, REL (2) Carbon Limited, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Furutech FA-Alpha Interconnects, Furutech FS-Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables
Old 05-18-2018, 09:17 AM

I gave this try being I already had an extra pair of SCs. There are some positive differences adding the bi-wiring. I’m hearing slightly better dynamics and separation particularly on the top end (more air), slightly tighter bass, and a slightly deeper soundstage. I feel I’m getting more benefit from the extra capacity my amps have to offer and using my speakers to their greater potential. Really appreciate learning about this on the thread.
Paradigm: Persona 7F, C5v3, ADP3,
JL Audio: F113v2, CR-1,
Shunyata: Everest, Denali 6000/Sv2, Altera
Shunyata and WW: PCs, SCs and ICs.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:11 AM

sorry for the late update, I have been using it shortly after this thread.
All I can say is I am now a happy man
Old 08-03-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
I do!

As per Chuck Hinton at McIntosh "For 3Db more bass, hook the woofers to the 8ohm tap and the Mid/tweet to the 4Ohm tap."
So glad I came across this thread...brilliant!! Made a noticeable improvement in my setup!
Sources: Linn Klimax DS, Kaleidescape Strato S Amps: MC452 & MC301 Speakers/Subs: Sonus Faber Olympica III’s & Nova CII in Wenge, 2 x JL Fathom 112's w/ Sound Anchor stands Pre/Pro: C1100, MX122 Power: PS Audio P10 Cables: Center speaker-Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8, L/R Speakers-Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7, Kimber Palladian Power Cables, Kimber KS1126 Interconnects Misc: Furutech Flux 50 NSF, Furutech GTX-D NSF outlets, Furutech Boosters
Old 08-03-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDaddy View Post
So glad I came across this thread...brilliant!! Made a noticeable improvement in my setup!
That’s great! It appears that everyone who’s tried it had positive comments. So glad I was able to pass along the recommendation from Chuck Hinton at McIntosh.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:59 AM
Alien Member

I notice that many, if not all, folks that tried this with success are using fully balanced amps which have the separate ground terminal for each tap. Does this also work with non-balanced amps with the shared ground terminal?

In order for me to try this, unfortunately I will need to order two 8' sets of new speaker cable. I currently have nothing that will work.

Lossless > D100 / Yami YP 450 tt > MA7000 > KEF RDM3 / SVS SB2000 / Too much music, not enough time.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:12 AM
Semi-audiophile

I tried the 8-ohm taps on my 501s for bass. After one song, I reverted back to my previous set-up, which was mids/highs on the 4-ohm tap, bass on the 2-ohm tap. I have since obtained a new pair of speaker cable with spades on the amp end and now bi-wire from the 4-ohm tap. The sound I get is more balanced this way; with the 8-ohm taps in play the bottom was too heavy for me.

I use standard RCA interconnects throughout my setup (Transparent Plus). I've felt no need to use balanced cables and in all honesty it's never occurred to me. And the MC501 monos are not balanced, that I know of.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 08-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Alien Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
the MC501 monos are not balanced, that I know of.
Yes the MC501 are definitely fully balanced amps.

Lossless > D100 / Yami YP 450 tt > MA7000 > KEF RDM3 / SVS SB2000 / Too much music, not enough time.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORTIS View Post
Yes the MC501 are definitely fully balanced amps.
They do offer balanced connections; I wasn't sure if that made them balanced amps. I went by the fact that the front plate doesn't say "balanced," thinking of the 601s and other amps which say "Quad Balanced" on the chassis. This is why I'm a semi-audiophile; lack of attention to stuff like this.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 08-04-2018, 03:38 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

This is a cool thread. I’d love to see pictures of those running two pairs of speaker cables to see those connections in photos.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW