AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-03-2018, 01:17 PM

Default MSXXX Primer

I have derived a lot of helpful tips and advice from members of this forum, in particular regarding the challenge of keeping these units going. And possibly more has been written on this topic than many others combined! Now many have sold their units, but some still retain them and get value like I do. In other cases members who sold may have their customers come back for some tips etc. In any event, I thought it might make sense to summarize the learning that many of you have graciously contributed and so I have tried to do so as best I can. This tool might help someone just starting out with a used unit, an existing owner having issues or one that does not wish to. Feel free to chime in with additions or corrections as this is still a DRAFT. Again my thanks to all of you for helping keep mine going.

---Unit must have had power supply completely re-capped. Otherwise best not to risk even plugging it in until this is accomplished. Ft. Worth Audio is one recommended shop.

---Unit should be only run via a quality surge suppressor/battery backup.

---Owners should have an install disk copy with 2.0.7.1 software.

---Owners should recognize that the Gracenote cover service is no longer available via McIntosh as the servers no longer operate. Some owners have found workarounds.

---Owners should be aware that none of the pre-loaded i-Radio stations function and these should best be deleted. Owners can manually load stations if the correct irl is known and the address is compatible with stream requirements listed in the owners manual.

---Owners should back up all music files to an external drive.

---Owners of the MS300 can benefit from upgrading their Maxtor 300 gb drives to the more robust Seagate 750 gb, (DB35.3 series.) (The maximum size drive the MS300/MS750 will recognize seems to be 1 tb.)

---The unit should never be plugged in until all other signal connections are made. Power cable should be first unplugged before removing any connections.

---Owner should have two hard drives. One in the machine and working and a backup with software installed, but preferably a cloned version with software and music installed for a “plug and play” setup if the installed HDD fails. Keep in mind that drives from one machine may not be recognized in another unless a fresh software install is accomplished.

---After installing new drive and software, the unit may get caught up in a registration loop as it tries to contact the McIntosh servers which no longer operate. To bypass, check your preferred language at the language choice screen and when the next screen appears, press MS1 on the original remote and then the number 5-5-5-5 and the registration sequence should stop and not return unless the unit is re-booted. Important – You must use the original remote (not the keyboard on the MS 300) as the 5-5-5-5 must be entered off the alpha-numeric system.

---It is best to go into the de-select “enable updates”, but selecting SETUP/UTILITIES/SOFTWARE UPDATE)

---If a unit has sat for a long time, it may be seem not to boot when in fact it is organizing files and doing work in background. This may not show on the unit’s display, so best to use TV monitor at the very least when booting up after storage. If a unit still fails to boot, power and date cables should be carefully removed and reconnected as often poor contacts can be the cause.

---An upgraded fan such as the SilenX Ixtrema IXP 34-16 should be installed and wired off the CD-ROM for 24/7 operation to enable the unit to run cooler.

---As of this writing, Panurgy is still willing to (attempt) repair these units with initial inspection fee of under $100 which also counts toward any quoted repair. New main boards are not available and the ability to repair damaged ones is unclear. (See #1 above as to how best to protect your main board.) McIntosh is neither servicing or supporting these units any longer.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:20 PM

Nicely done. Will be a help for those who continue cherish their MSxxx .
Ed
2 Channel - Esoteric KO3, VPI Classic, C2300, MS300, MEN220, Bryston 7b SST, B&W 802D, JL F113 (2), MDA 1000, Olive 4HD, Sonos w/Remedy, WW Silver Eclipse ICs , Stillpoints Ultra mini, MR85 tuner, Aurender A10 server

Headphone listening
- Audeze LCD3 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced cables, Sennheiser HD650, WW silver Eclipse Nano cable, Bryston BHA-1 amp

HT -
MX135, OPPO 103D, B&W CDM7, B&W center, Sony 65" LCD
Old 05-03-2018, 01:26 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Steve.......Very kind of you to take the time to compile and post this valuable resource on McIntosh music servers. It will certainly be useful to many MS300 and MS750 owners. Thank you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-03-2018, 01:47 PM

Nice work Steve!
Old 05-04-2018, 09:52 AM

The least I could do, fellas! No corrections/additions????
Old 05-04-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
The least I could do, fellas! No corrections/additions????
looks good to me
Ed
2 Channel - Esoteric KO3, VPI Classic, C2300, MS300, MEN220, Bryston 7b SST, B&W 802D, JL F113 (2), MDA 1000, Olive 4HD, Sonos w/Remedy, WW Silver Eclipse ICs , Stillpoints Ultra mini, MR85 tuner, Aurender A10 server

Headphone listening
- Audeze LCD3 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced cables, Sennheiser HD650, WW silver Eclipse Nano cable, Bryston BHA-1 amp

HT -
MX135, OPPO 103D, B&W CDM7, B&W center, Sony 65" LCD
Old 05-04-2018, 04:43 PM

The only thing I’d add is swapping out the original switching power supply completely, in favor of a PICO power supply and an external laptop brick. Or better yet, a PICO with an external linear power supply. This will supply clean power to the motherboard and HDD.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:16 PM

Re-direct request for copy / backup of music files..

Can someone direct me to a thread on this? Searched in vain.

MS300 seems to work fine after power supply fixed in Texas.

Hoping to pull the music files before HD fails and put on Synology SSD

From there I'd like to use with new interface like Roon. PC is Win10.

Any help walking a tech challenged individual is greatly appreciated.

The MS300 will be available as soon as I can find and copy the files.

Walt
Old 05-09-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsuman View Post
Re-direct request for copy / backup of music files..

Can someone direct me to a thread on this? Searched in vain.

MS300 seems to work fine after power supply fixed in Texas.

Hoping to pull the music files before HD fails and put on Synology SSD

From there I'd like to use with new interface like Roon. PC is Win10.

Any help walking a tech challenged individual is greatly appreciated.

The MS300 will be available as soon as I can find and copy the files.

Walt
Go into Setup/Network/Server Settings and name your unit. I call mine simply: MS300. Now go to your PC (I assume it is on same network of course) START/RUN and enter \\MS300 (or the name you chose). Now select content and you will see all your music files. You can now copy these by dragging or however to the backup media you have selected. If in doubt, see your MS300 Owners manual.

Last edited by sgbroimp; 05-09-2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-2019, 09:34 PM

Default My modded MS300

I Just changed out the drive for a 750 gb and added additional cooling fans to keep the drive cool.

What do you guys think?

David.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Additional Cooling.jpg (97.4 KB, 72 views)