AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-03-2018, 10:40 PM

My old 601s were dead quiet. Call the dealer for sure.

George
Old 05-04-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
That is likely the transformer, send it back and ask for a new amp. , it should be dead quiet.

+1 Sage advice. You will kick yourself forever if you don’t get it replaced now.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magog View Post
Little disappointment.
There is a slight buzz when I approach 6 inch amp.
Both. I changed the ac wire, I plugged directly into the wall, same thing. Accordent to you, is it normal?
I had the same problem with my 601s (220V) when they were delivered.
Called MC and they asked me to remove a grounding cable inside of the amp.
After that they were dead silent.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:36 PM

it's really different from the 601.
The 611 are now up to 150 hours of break-in. the big difference, the transparency, the air around the musicians, and the bass .... hollow incredible. An unbelievable sweetness. you climb the volume and everything stays soft in front of you. 3D image. really different from the 601. I am very happy with the upgrade. I will not go back. I can not wait to have more comments
I have a C1100 preamp and All is plug to my MPC 1500.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
The 611 are now up to 150 hours of break-in. the big difference, the transparency, the air around the musicians, and the bass .... hollow incredible. An unbelievable sweetness. you climb the volume and everything stays soft in front of you. 3D image. really different from the 601. I am very happy with the upgrade. I will not go back. I can not wait to have more comments
Thanks Magog for the update. Sounds like your upgrade was absolutely justified. Nice to hear. I’ve read elsewhere that the upgrade from the MC1.2KW to the MC1.25KW wasn’t as positive. It was said that the higher frequencies were to aggressive.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:10 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:

Well U must hear something I don't. I sat and listened to the 601s and 611s at my dealer playing the same songs, same speakers side by side. The C1100 and D1100 included in the setup. I couldn't hear any difference, but then again I'm getting old.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:18 PM

Default Review MC 611s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Thanks Magog for the update. Sounds like your upgrade was absolutely justified. Nice to hear. I’ve read elsewhere that the upgrade from the MC1.2KW to the MC1.25KW wasn’t as positive. It was said that the higher frequencies were to aggressive.

I read that too. But honestly, I don’t believe it. When someone is known to change amps like changing clothes, I take it with a large grain of salt, especially when the initial comments are over the moon positive from same person. There are many reasons people decide to move on some of which are subliminal. I’m inclined to believe the 611 are same or better than 601 ... likely better. McIntosh is not in the business of undermining their brand. I have ZERO doubt the 1.25KW is nothing but I top shelf amplifier just like the 1.2kw.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion

Last edited by j3brow; 05-06-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
I read that too. But honestly, I don’t believe it. When someone is known to change amps like changing clothes, I take it with a large grain of salt, especially when the initial comments are over the moon positive from same person. There are many reasons people decide to move on some of which are subliminal. I’m inclined to believe the 611 are same or better than 601 ... likely better. McIntosh is not in the business of undermining their brand. I have ZERO doubt the 1.25KW is nothing but I top shelf amplifier just like the 1.2kw.
Good point and do tend to agree with you.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Since you the three 601's and 2 501's have you ever compared them ? I would guess the differences are subtle and the same with the 611. All very good amplifiers
Old 05-07-2018, 07:43 AM

I maintain my opinion. the 611 good difference. Tuesday night I receive two audiophiles who are regulars and I come back with their opinions. I drive Revel Salon 1