McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-12-2018, 01:54 PM

How long do the mct cable come?
Old 05-12-2018, 02:02 PM

Default New MCT500 Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
How long do the mct cable come?

It is 5 ft. Ron-C once commented that the length was critical, different lengths didn’t work right. He says a 6 ft DIN cable wouldn’t work for example.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion

Last edited by j3brow; 05-12-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignotra View Post
1) The reading mechanics is different between the MCT450 and MCT500;
2) The MCT500 also reads DVD ROMs with high resolution files and DSD up to 128;
3) The MCD1100 also has the MCT output and works perfectly with my D1100.
Has the MCT500 better reading qualities compared to the MCT450?
Old 07-19-2020, 03:40 AM

Is still thinking about an upgrade from MCT450 to a MCT500. Is there anybody here, who has an MCT500 in his system installed?
Old 07-19-2020, 10:08 AM

I have the MCT500 installed. What do you want to know?
Old 07-19-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
I have the MCT500 installed. What do you want to know?
Has the MCT500 reading or loading problems with certain CDs or Discs? Mine MCT 450 sometimes has problems to load certain discs. Especially newer ones.....that is not to often, but i am thinking of doing an upgrade.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofstoneage View Post
Has the MCT500 reading or loading problems with certain CDs or Discs? Mine MCT 450 sometimes has problems to load certain discs. Especially newer ones.....that is not to often, but i am thinking of doing an upgrade.
I have owned an MCT500 for about seven months. It has had no trouble reading and playing any RBCD, hybrid SACD, or single layer SACD in my collection, which is quite extensive and includes disks that are 30 years old to very recent releases from numerous labels … a situation which also provides an answer for why someone would wish to own a good disk spinner. Some of us have large libraries of music to play. Well, how does it sound? In my case that very much depends on the DA2 resident in my C2700 and on that hangs a tale.

Many, if not all, earlier samples of the DA2 are prone to often ‘miss the downbeat’ at the beginning of a disk or even at the beginning of every selection on a disk. Sony/Columbia disks were/are particularly prone to exhibit this problem while, say, DG's not at all. My C2700 made the trip back to the mothership in Binghamton while, thankfully, my excellent dealer (Paragon) gave me a loaner C2700 (whose DA2 also had the same problem) to weather the Covid-19 storm. Last week my C2700 made its return with firmware updates for both the C2700 itself and the DA2. I believe that the new firmware versions are 1.04(?) for the preamp and 4.0 (?) for the DA2, but don’t quote me on the numbers (Hopefully, a knowledgeable McIntosh associate will chime in on the version numbers).

Low and behold, the principal queuing flaw is now corrected and the DA2 now sounds significantly improved, as well. There is a greater sense of space between instruments in imaging and sound staging and a smoother, airier presentation for the upper midrange and highs. This is readily apparent when one plays, say, the most tortuous and fortissimo moments during the 1st movement of the Shostakovitch Symphony No. 10 (Nelsons, BSO, DG).* By the way, those who evaluate audio equipment and do not throw well-recorded complex high horsepower classical music at it is kidding themselves. The upper midrange is where one is likely to bring a system to its knees. The update for the C2700, itself, improves control functions (i.e., the ease of cartridge loading and the minimizing of silence between switching the tone controls on and off).

So, the reproduction using the MCT500 and the updated DA2 is truly excellent for the price point. Not quite a dCS Vivaldi full stack, mind you, but a strong positive step in that direction.

Happy listening.

Bob

* Test disks first treated with L'Art du Son for critical comparisons.
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record cleaner: Kirmuss KA-RC-1 ultrasonic.

Last edited by Bob Bubeck; 07-19-2020 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Add a detail.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck View Post
I have owned an MCT500 for about seven months. It has had no trouble reading and playing any RBCD, hybrid SACD, or single layer SACD in my collection, which is quite extensive and includes disks that are 30 years old to very recent releases from numerous labels … a situation which also provides an answer for why someone would wish to own a good disk spinner. Some of us have large libraries of music to play. Well, how does it sound? In my case that very much depends on the DA2 resident in my C2700 and on that hangs a tale.

Many, if not all, earlier samples of the DA2 are prone to often ‘miss the down beat’ at the beginning of a disk or even at the beginning of every selection on a disk. Sony/Columbia disks were/are particularly prone to exhibit this problem while, say, DG's not at all. My C2700 made the trip back to the mothership in Binghamton while, thankfully, my excellent dealer (Paragon) gave me a loaner C2700 (whose DA2 also had the same problem) to weather the Covid-19 storm. Last week my C2700 made its return with firmware updates for both the C2700 itself and the DA2. I believe that the new firmware versions are 1.04(?) for the preamp and 4.0 (?) for the DA2, but don’t quote me on the numbers (Hopefully, a knowledgeable McIntosh associate will chime in on the version numbers).

Low and behold, the principal queuing flaw is now corrected and the DA2 now sounds significantly improved, as well. There is a greater sense of space between instruments in imaging and sound staging and a smoother, airier presentation for the upper midrange and highs. This is readily apparent when one plays, say, the most tortuous and fortissimo moments during the 1st movement of the Shostakovitch Symphony No. 10 (Nelsons, BSO, DG).* By the way, one who evaluates audio equipment and does not throw well-recorded complex high horsepower classical music at it is kidding themself. The upper midrange is where one is likely to bring a system to its knees. The update for the C2700, itself, improves control functions (i.e., the ease of cartridge loading and the minimizing of silence between switching the tone controls on and off).

So, the reproduction using the MCT500 and the updated DA2 is truly excellent for the price point. Not quite a dCS Vivaldi full stack, mind you, but a strong positive step in that direction.

Happy listening.

Bob

* Test disks first treated with L'Art du Son for critical comparisons.
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record cleaner: Kirmuss KA-RC-1 ultrasonic.
Thanks for your sharing your experiences with your MCT500 and C2700 (DA2).
Years ago i had some problems with my D100 DAC
If my dealer give me a good price for my MCT450 i would do the upgrade to a newer MCT500.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
… sorry for the late reply. I have had no issues with playback of any disks, new or old. The player is connected to an MC53 via the McIntosh cable.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
… sorry for the late reply. I have had no issues with playback of any disks, new or old. The player is connected to an MC53 via the McIntosh cable.
Thanks for your reply!