AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Mark Levinson

Mark Levinson Sound that Speaks for Itself

Old 09-15-2012, 10:17 AM

Karl - The ML432 looks very nice in your room. it is a very nice amp. Hope it's meeting your expectations.

Mike
Old 09-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Music Provides Joy

Thanks Mike --- I'm thrilled so far!

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:24 AM

Karl...sounds like a good plan I guess my thinking was that it's not necessarily an eithor/or situation. I believe you can find DACs with well designed analog volume controls or preamps in the chain that will maintain/highlight all the detail/resolution/instrument separation and dynamic contrast while also delivering naturalness/fluidity/harmonic richness and timbral purity to the presentation. Of course your next question is which ones? And that of course is dependent on system synergy with the rest of your components so no substitute for researching and seeking out components that might fit the bill and auditioning them if you can.

By the way, the guys at Goodwins (my local dealer) are big fans of the Berkely Alpha Dac 2 (with the USB-SPDIF converter box as well if you are going to use a PC as a source) and they maintain it has all of the resolution and detail of version 1 but is more musical and has less digital harshness. So definitely worth an audition.

Good luck with your next upgrade
Old 09-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Music Provides Joy

Cyril:

Great post (as always). I like your question: which ones?! :-)

As much as I love the Audio Research gear (especially the large displays on the Ref. Preamps), I've decided that tubes are out. My favorite time to listen to music is after the world has gone to bed and I am winding down from a long day of work. This sometimes (read: often) results in me falling asleep in my listening chair and leaving the whole system powered on all night. Thus, I need solid state products which are intended to be left on or are at least OK to be left on.

Happy to hear that Goodwins loves the Berkeley Alpha DAC 2. It and the matching Berkeley Alpha USB are near the top of my list.

Cheers

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.

Last edited by kfr01; 09-15-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:51 PM

Karl...I would think if you want to stay in SS land that exploring ML pres would make a lot of sense. I think Ayre always offer excellent products at relatively good value. Another brand to consider that is just picking up some steam in the US but that has been around for a while and seems to offer great products at great value is Hegel. Check out this letter to the folks at Soundstage.com and check out the reference to the P30 preamp from Hegel: Hegel is the One to Beat

I am not sure what the price is on the P30 but it seems to offer great value and seems to offer the strength of SS offerings with the positives of tubes all at a great price:

Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Music Provides Joy

image-558477265.jpg

For installation tomorrow morning. Looking forward to putting the finishing touches on the amplifier installation.

Last edited by kfr01; 09-21-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Karl,

Very nice! Keep us posted!

Terry
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Karl, congrats!! We will need a full report.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:16 AM

Karl, Congrats on your new ML-432!!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Music Provides Joy

Call me crazy, but the WireWorld Silver Eclipse 6 XLRs and Silver Electra 5^2 PC seem to have provided some additional space and clarity between the instruments.

The system is sounding great!

Thanks to Ivan (Masterlu) for another flawless WireWorld cable transaction.